Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
west tide

Corps of Engineers tide chart for 2019

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

26 mins ago, Joe G said:

Bob, curious.  To your knowledge, did anyone go to the ACOE and inquire how the discrepancy occurred? 

Mostly likely no one did, but inquiring minds would be interested knowing if it was a printing/typo error, programming error, etc.

To answer your question Joe, the answer is yes.

I met with the ACOE and other local authorities five times between last fall, and as recently as a month ago. We met primarily to discuss canal poaching and proposed additional access restrictions. The most recent was regarding the herring run. I did bring up the tide chart errors when they wanted to know when most violations occur. However due to the number of people in attendance, the tide chart topic never gained traction.

10 mins ago, bob_G said:

…….I met with the ACOE and other local authorities five times between last fall, and as recently as a month ago. We met primarily to discuss canal poaching and proposed additional access restrictions.....

Good for you Bob, although the words in bold above leave me feeling a bit uneasy.   :scared: 

19 hours ago, Joe G said:

Good for you Bob, although the words in bold above leave me feeling a bit uneasy.   :scared: 

Joe that is a subject matter that comes up every year during the fishing season for one reason or another . Good to see that the corp has others talking about poaching as well . Nice to know that we are not alone in this venture to help reduce the poaching along these waters. The trouble is unless and until the main office[Concord] also gets involved that process will remain at a stand still and once again have some complaining about poachers and those who retain the old ways of harming what we have left for a resource . We will find great support from the Environmental Police in such actions at least in speaking with those who care from this position. To get things done we need more combined efforts from the users of this resource to step up as a group and speak up in a group to be heard, else we find that a single voice is just that a voice in the wilderness that no one takes seriously. This is the one element missing in the discussion process who else besides these single voices are being heard at all? Only with the strength  of numbers will changes occur, other wise we will remain voices in the wilderness, unfortunately. 

22 hours ago, Joe G said:

Joe,

IMHO the Corps is not seeking ways to restrict access. But the canal is a multi use recreational area. We forget at times it's not just about fishermen. As stewards to the area, the Corps must  accommodate and listen to the concerns of all user groups.  Be it walkers, dog walkers, cyclists, and yes, fishermen. 

My take was,  the source of most complaints were regarding fishermen. Non fishermen walking the canal see the violations. They see the same guy running back to his car with several fish, only to return moments later. They see the litter. They see (and smell) the rotting fish frames. Most of all, the local residents hear the noise, esp middle of the night. 

So again, the Readers Digest version is, nothing is slated to be closed. There us much more that was discussed. However, we're on a short leash IMO.