Corps of Engineers tide chart for 2019

Rate this topic

west tide

28 mins ago, Joe G said:

Carl......are the tide charts available "in the box" yet.   ;)

Joe the tide charts in the box have been available for the past several week s for any one looking for a hard copy simply stop at the gate to the Army Corp Office. Some times it will be full, early in the morning ,best times

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

6 mins ago, robc22 said:

Hope this year's chart is more accurate than last year's!

I was going to mention that, but was hoping someone else might.  Early last summer I was wondering why I was missing night tides? I was always 45 min late. Finally an alert Bill d brought it to my attention.

The Sultan of Sluggo

20 hours ago, bob_G said:

I was going to mention that, but was hoping someone else might.  Early last summer I was wondering why I was missing night tides? I was always 45 min late. Finally an alert Bill d brought it to my attention.

Bobby,       Are you sure that your internal clock system was not off a little ? When ever we began to fish the stealth hours we made a mark in the log book to indicate where the time on my rock told me it was the best time to be ready for on that particular night.  When the water reached a particular place west or east we would place a stick in between the rocks and see how close we were to when the fish began to have there mouth open. Once the stick was covered or uncovered for a period of time and no action was happening , we would move onto the next spot in the series of places we had scheduled to fish that night.  Using long time instinct and recording the times gave us a better idea on when the action should occur, but like every thing we go through when fishing the best plans in the world at times do not pay off , but those are the nights when patience takes over and you enjoy the sounds of mother nature around you and catalog it for another adventure on the Cape Cod Canal. :theman:  

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Carl my mind has not yet become so feeble that I need to do any of what you suggest. Esp something as rudimentary as reading a tide chart. After 55 years on the canal I think I know the drill. :dismay:

BTW,  the ACOE tide chart discrepancies were discussed on this forum extensively in 2018 and possibly as far back as 2017.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Bobby exactly after 55 years on the canal one would think that you would have it all down pat and not need a tide chart to catch a few fish? Your powers of observation must have left some imprint as to when the fish were active in the places you set up . Often we could set a clock by how close they would begin the bite at many of the chosen locations along the canal itself . Many times we often would not fish those locations to challenge ourselves to find other places , rather then going back night after night to the same place where the fish in many cases had open mouths . Where is the challenge if you know that fishing the same place night after night knowing that the rod would bend over is a given ? When I was actively fishing the canal at least one new place was picked to learn another place when the fish turned on , just like on the beach . Often we would leave a hot spot to see if the action might also be at another location where no one was set up and still be into fish.  The  search to find fish often was as rewarding as catching them and that in many cases was  because good reading of the water and doing a journal along from a life time of not being glued to one location every night during the season.. Is it the challenge of the search, finding a new place of action or just catching fish all night long that matters, each to there own in what we seek to for fill the inner spirits of how and why we fish. 

One thing that i have learned fishing the Big River in my 75 years of fishing it is that as much as things change they remain the same and conversely as much as things remain the same, things change. Memories change with time and some never ever gain the real inner knowledge they think they have. some fail to continue to search and discover new challenges , relying in the past and not seeing what the future holds we all can learn something new every year if we only have an open mind to do so. The young learn from the Old among us and the old can learn from the YOUNG among us that have more open minds to change and what it offers. :heart:   

Edited by Angler #1

Life member M.B.B.A #509

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

…….  the ACOE tide chart discrepancies were discussed on this forum extensively in 2018 and possibly as far back as 2017.

Bob, curious.  To your knowledge, did anyone go to the ACOE and inquire how the discrepancy occurred? 

Mostly likely no one did, but inquiring minds would be interested knowing if it was a printing/typo error, programming error, etc.

Well the time of L/H tide was sometimes an hour or more off in last years tide tables. It even had the time of low tide going in reverse a day here and there!

ACoE just copies the info. from the NOAA tide tables( so doesn't everyone else). 

Hopefully this year's tide/current predictions are a lil more accurate......

4 mins ago, robc22 said:

Well the time of L/H tide was sometimes an hour or more off in last years tide tables. It even had the time of low tide going in reverse a day here and there!

ACoE just copies the info. from the NOAA tide tables( so doesn't everyone else). 

Hopefully this year's tide/current predictions are a lil more accurate......

What rob said. I stopped using the ACOE charts a couple years ago.  A couple times I set the alarm for 1am to catch a particular tide, and found I missed it by an hour. I'm thinking what the hell? :headscratch: That's when Bill d pointed out the error.

Truth be know, the paper charts are almost obsolete. Other online tide charts are available as an app, which give you your tide at the tip of your fingers.

The Sultan of Sluggo