KnewBee

A companion to the Striper breeder fish thread

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

"Striped bass fishing season could be canceled in Virginia as population declines" WP April 11th

"Virginia officials are weighing whether to cancel this year’s fishing season for large rockfish in the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay out of concern for its dwindling numbers.

The rockfish season in Virginia will begin April 20 along the Potomac River tributaries, then days later in the bay. But indications that the population of the fish, also called striped bass, is declining raised concerns that further catches could have a long-term effect on its survivability.

“Striped bass aren’t doing as well as we thought,” said Ellen Bolen, deputy commissioner for the Virginia Marine Resources Commission. “We’re taking fish out faster than they can reproduce.”

Bolen’s group, which helps manage and oversee fish populations in the state, is expected to vote April 23 on an “emergency proposal” that would recommend canceling the trophy-size rockfish season, when anglers can keep rockfish that measure 36 inches or longer.

If the proposal passes, it would become effective April 29 — creating a nine-day season this year along the Potomac’s tributaries. A public hearing would be held in late May.

Maryland officials said they have similar concerns about the rockfish population, but there are no efforts to halt the spring rockfish season in the state. Maryland’s Department of Natural Resources plans to work with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, which regulates fishing in coastal waters, for other possible solutions..."

I don't chase them in the spring as my yak doesn't go far enough, but wonder if this explains last falls dismal catch for me, AND if it will impact fall season 2019?

It would  be great ,except it's 3 or 4 yrs too late and it needs to be East coast wide. This deteriorating situation has been going on for quite a while.  Those who keep records of the catches each yr will show a constant change in the catches over 10yrs.  Our area 10yrs ago was having epic catches of very large fish and plenty of them. Fast forward last few yrs,with the exception of Block Island and a few spots in Mass fishing stinks.  I predict a moratorium in the next few yrs.  I'm  surprised the tackle shops and tackle industry hasn't been more vocal, it's their business that will be affected the most.  Sorry for the bad forecast, I really hope I'm wrong.

6 hours ago, John P said:

It would  be great ,except it's 3 or 4 yrs too late and it needs to be East coast wide. This deteriorating situation has been going on for quite a while.  Those who keep records of the catches each yr will show a constant change in the catches over 10yrs.  Our area 10yrs ago was having epic catches of very large fish and plenty of them. Fast forward last few yrs,with the exception of Block Island and a few spots in Mass fishing stinks.  I predict a moratorium in the next few yrs.  I'm  surprised the tackle shops and tackle industry hasn't been more vocal, it's their business that will be affected the most.  Sorry for the bad forecast, I really hope I'm wrong.

Why on earth would you want a "east coast wide" ban on spring striper fishing when they don't breed "east coast wide"? Any fish you catch from Montauk north isn't going to breed this spring.

4 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Why on earth would you want a "east coast wide" ban on spring striper fishing when they don't breed "east coast wide"? Any fish you catch from Montauk north isn't going to breed this spring.

What about the fall and next spring ?

Do you mean will it eventually spawn? Almost every fish will eventually spawn but you would have to shut down all fishing to make that happen, including C&R.

7 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Do you mean will it eventually spawn? Almost every fish will eventually spawn but you would have to shut down all fishing to make that happen, including C&R.

Yes, that's what i meant........

East Coast Moratorium would serve these stocks well now if the numbers are what they say they are.

4 hours ago, the3fishheads said:

That last moratorium worked well. Everyone from grandma to the grandkids could pull a 60 on the pods.

Do it again.

don't know what they're waiting for.................Rock Bottom?  :dismay: