jeffreyrichard

Best way to bleed your catch?

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have yet to take home a fish from my kayak trips ... mostly because I target stripers, blues or albies. But next month I will be targeting Black Sea Bass for the 'frige ... looking for techniques you use to bleed a fish when on a kayak

Edited by jeffreyrichard

3 hours ago, jeffreyrichard said:

I have yet to take home a fish from my kayak trips ... mostly because I target stripers, blues or albies. But next month I will be targeting Black Sea Bass for the 'frige ... looking for techniques you use to bleed a fish when on a kayak

Usually cut gills onto fish clip...but if you're worried about sharks up there, for seabass you can bring a small bucket (like bait bucket size). You just need to submerge the head/gills. Once dead transfer to cooler...dump out bloody chum water when you're ready to move lol. 

16 hours ago, BluesCruiser said:

Your in the water.  Sharks in the water. Blood in the water.

what could go wrong :eek:

Lol exactly. I’ve bled fish through the drive hole and stopped doing that, I’ll just slice the gills and toss in my fish bag, clean up when I head in.

AFE0A2E7-EC72-4CF8-913E-1A86269A483B.jpeg

If you cut the gill rakers on just one side they supposedly bleed out faster. I sometimes drip a few drops of attractant into the Hobie blow hole. In a pinch it will also accommodate two face down bunker.

Keep the BSB alive on the stringer until you are heading back. Then slice under the gills shortly before landing while they are on the stringer/in the water. Transfer to cooler.

Don't know about RI, but you are not allowed to put stripers alive on a stringer in MA.

2 hours ago, tj7501 said:

Keep the BSB alive on the stringer until you are heading back. Then slice under the gills shortly before landing while they are on the stringer/in the water. Transfer to cooler.

Don't know about RI, but you are not allowed to put stripers alive on a stringer in MA.

I've decided the drag from stringered fish ain't worth it, and take a cooler bag if I'm planning on keeping fish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I bought one of those large Ego rubber nets a while back.  On the boat, didn't like to use it because it was too heavy to one-hand a fish aboard.  I took the net off the frame, ran a 1/4" poly rope through the net as a draw string.  If fishing on the boat or kayak (I do both), and I want to keep a fish for meat, I'll throw it into the net bag and lash it overboard to keep the fish alive.  Towards the end of the fishing trip, I'll cut through the gills, put the fish back in the net bag to bleed out overboard.  Usually the fish will be cleaned and on ice within an hour or so of being bleed out.

Edited by oceanspray

Put on stringer. Cut gills and leave in water till they bleed out. Throw in a cooler. Then paddle away at a nice clip......

2 hours ago, SandSpike1 said:

Mesh laundry bag and tow it around.

Disposable

Yes, I used to use this before going with a cooler, sometimes I'll use it porgying to high grade. But I have to pull it aboard before paddling several miles back in or I'd never get there. Walmart has quite a nice one for $4. I got my mom to stitch the bottom on a machine so I could cut off the fabric portion.

5cbcb1a4b085b_mshbag.PNG.02d8a7e6861acea4683e7cb9ef90f246.PNG