oax

Colt King Cobra 3"

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Just read Colt reintroduced the King Cobra in 3".  Been wanting a 6 shot 3” barrel .357 for a while but S&W never reintroduced the Model-65/13 in their Classic Series and their new guns have that dumb safety lock which I don’t care for.   As I recall Colt has had some ups and downs over the years with their quality control.  Anyone have opinions or experience with Colt's current production firearms? 

CTKCOBRA-SB3BB_1.jpg       

Surprised no feedback or opinions on current production Colts.   SInce posting this, did some checking and see Kimber now offers their K6 in a 3" and it's even a bit lighter in weight; have to take a look at that as well. 

So, I got to fondle a K Cobra  in a LGS a few days ago. Long time Colt fan here with several  Colt 1911's. Don't own any Colt revolvers. Have been transitioning to revolvers lately and have been considering  purchasing a Cobra or King Cobra. Like you, due to quality control issues I have read about I have held off, just barely though. The  3" King Cobra I handled had an excellent trigger. Smooth, clean break ,best I have felt. This follows what many others have reported. The feel, size and grip felt right. (28 oz), For comparison, my recently purchased Ruger 3" SP101 38 special at 27 oz has the same grip and closely resembles the Colt but holds 5 rounds vs the 357/38 Colt with 6. The top strap on the King Cobra is more stout with a superior DA trigger around 9 lbs vs SP 13-14lbs.  OK Looks - Cobra 38 meh- bead blasted matte stainless very disappointing.  Newer edition Cobra 38 has been released in bright stainless but costs hundreds more. King Cobra is a better looker but not great. Again I was disappointed in the looks dept. The K Cobra I saw had a better brushed stainless look but still somewhat dull . Fit and mating of parts looked good, tight tolerances, no gaps. The "Revolver Guy"has an in depth review iof the King Cobra with pictures, targets and more expert analysis. Check it out. Google - revolver guy king cobra.

Colt made a run or two of 3" Pythons back in the day. IIRC, they had something to do with California.

:v:

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, Livliner said:

So, I got to fondle a K Cobra  in a LGS a few days ago. Long time Colt fan here with several  Colt 1911's. Don't own any Colt revolvers. Have been transitioning to revolvers lately and have been considering  purchasing a Cobra or King Cobra. Like you, due to quality control issues I have read about I have held off, just barely though. The  3" King Cobra I handled had an excellent trigger. Smooth, clean break ,best I have felt. This follows what many others have reported. The feel, size and grip felt right. (28 oz), For comparison, my recently purchased Ruger 3" SP101 38 special at 27 oz has the same grip and closely resembles the Colt but holds 5 rounds vs the 357/38 Colt with 6. The top strap on the King Cobra is more stout with a superior DA trigger around 9 lbs vs SP 13-14lbs.  OK Looks - Cobra 38 meh- bead blasted matte stainless very disappointing.  Newer edition Cobra 38 has been released in bright stainless but costs hundreds more. King Cobra is a better looker but not great. Again I was disappointed in the looks dept. The K Cobra I saw had a better brushed stainless look but still somewhat dull . Fit and mating of parts looked good, tight tolerances, no gaps. The "Revolver Guy"has an in depth review iof the King Cobra with pictures, targets and more expert analysis. Check it out. Google - revolver guy king cobra.

Hey Liveliner, thanks for the feedbak, it's much appreciated.  I've never owned a Colt firearm but have always lusted after a blue 4" Python.  Colt to me has been an odd company to figure out through the years.   They've had labor issues, outdated milling equipment in their factory (like Marlin) and basically just stuck with government military contracts as their business.  Glad to see they are coming back to their roots and producing for the general public again as they do make great firearms.  

Good to hear your positive input on the K Cobra; the 3" SP-101 is out of the running due to 5 shots, already have a 442 J-frame, it's the gun I carry most often.  I don't know why but having that 1 extra round seems to make a difference somehow;  probably more of a psychological thing.   I do plan to check out the Kimber K6 as well now that I see they can be had with a 3" barrel.  I read that article you recommended and it sounded promising; thanks for the info...

Edited by oax
sp

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just saw this thread.

I’ve been a long time fan of revolvers, mostly Smith and Colts.  

Anyway, I recently got one at my LGS and the 3” King Cobra was everything I expected it to be.

It’s smaller and less bulky compared to the older Colt 357 magnum revolvers.

It’s frame is almost same size as the 2017 .38 Special Cobra, but beefier and more Robust.

(esp on the Top strap area)

The trigger is surprisingly smooth, shoots like a dream and No issues with fit and finish.

In short, I’ve yet to find any cons or any reason not to like it lol.:)

818122A1-EBFD-4FB9-BF37-41EAFAE508E9.jpeg

9F2C124C-F17E-4D1E-9D63-8FA0F22FBA53.jpeg

682301FE-638F-4F7E-9D20-D6A65069B60B.jpeg

Edited by TheBlueLine
Pics

9 hours ago, big popper said:

looks like a nice trail gun,always wanted one.

Also good as alternate CCW. 

It fits in my 38 cobra IWB holster.:)

(not much weight difference also)

11 hours ago, big popper said:

looks like a nice trail gun,always wanted one.

Could use one.  They just arrested a guy on the Appalachian Trail in Tennessee... attacked a couple with a machete, killed the man, the woman was severely injured but got away.  

The nut job was from Massachusetts... umm, sorry. 

19 hours ago, TheBlueLine said:

I just saw this thread.

I’ve been a long time fan of revolvers, mostly Smith and Colts.  

Anyway, I recently got one at my LGS and the 3” King Cobra was everything I expected it to be.

It’s smaller and less bulky compared to the older Colt 357 magnum revolvers.

It’s frame is almost same size as the 2017 .38 Special Cobra, but beefier and more Robust.

(esp on the Top strap area)

The trigger is surprisingly smooth, shoots like a dream and No issues with fit and finish.

In short, I’ve yet to find any cons or any reason not to like it lol.:)

818122A1-EBFD-4FB9-BF37-41EAFAE508E9.jpeg

9F2C124C-F17E-4D1E-9D63-8FA0F22FBA53.jpeg

682301FE-638F-4F7E-9D20-D6A65069B60B.jpeg

Geeze.  You went and posted that.  Now I think I have to buy one.

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

Could use one.  They just arrested a guy on the Appalachian Trail in Tennessee... attacked a couple with a machete, killed the man, the woman was severely injured but got away.  

The nut job was from Massachusetts... umm, sorry. 

Yeah I heard that , can you legally carry on the A trail? 

1 hour ago, big popper said:

Yeah I heard that , can you legally carry on the A trail? 

My understanding is that it just depends on what State you are in.  If you have a valid concealed carry permit for that State or if no permit is required for concealed carry, then you are good for most parts of the trail.

The trail itself has no specific jurisdictional authorities... it isn't a national park or a State park... although it does pass through some... in those parks, there may be some additional rules.

they look great and probably shoot great.

I have a GP-100 3" with the rose wood panels on the grips.

It is not a smooth DA trigger but I often carry this firearm when I hunt.

I like the fit of the GP in my hand and the overall weight of the piece lends to mitigate felt recoil.

I do not like S&W 686 unless it has a complete over-molded grip. The exposed steel frame it like smacking your palm with a hammer when you use magnum