drudedon

Single AMA Revolution 16 Build

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve just completed the install (Josh from Three Belles Outfitters and myself) of a single AI AMA to my Revolution 16. Can’t wait to test her out.

40AE9808-AEE9-41E5-8DC9-9AD35D0BEEC8.jpeg

Edited by drudedon
Error

2 hours ago, cheech said:

Looks good, if you fish I guess it will be off the port side!

Thanks! Yes,  I mainly fish from the port side. However, I have a lot of plans for her. I’m thinking about adding a Bench to the AKA (HAKA).  This will allow me to fish from other angles. Still just a thought I weighing the pros and cons.

3 hours ago, tj7501 said:

Why single?

Well I think the second ama is overkill.  The AI was designed to withstand a sail

that is roughly twice the size of the sail I will be using( star kayak sails, super nova). One AMA should be fine. I know to a person that have not the research this may look awkward. 

Explanation of how a single ama works.

The single ama in my case extends out approximately 4’ and floats which prevents the kayak from leaning to the right. Now what stops me from leaning to my left is the weight of the ama and leverage gained from being extended 4’

two ama’s will also cause more drag. The revolution 16 is fast and I wanted to make it more stable with out slowing in down to much. Based off the research I did the ama only slows you down approximately .3 mph. 

Putting a transducer in the water on my c14 slowed it down .5 mph.  How fast do you peddle to slow down 3mph ?

Or are you talking about sailing ?

2 hours ago, dbjpb said:

Putting a transducer in the water on my c14 slowed it down .5 mph.  How fast do you peddle to slow down 3mph ?

Or are you talking about sailing ?

“.3mph” not 3mph

Thanks for clarifying. That is amazing. My transducer is the size of a cigar and it created more drag. 

From using an AI before, however it was with the standard sail, I would not feel comfortable taking the kayak out in any wind worthwhile for having the sail.  Its tough to picture the additional weight of the ama being enough to counteract the wind attempting to push the sail into the water.  

The single ama setup is great if you can rig up a small 9hp engine on the back.   

8 hours ago, tmcd94 said:

From using an AI before, however it was with the standard sail, I would not feel comfortable taking the kayak out in any wind worthwhile for having the sail.  Its tough to picture the additional weight of the ama being enough to counteract the wind attempting to push the sail into the water.  

The single ama setup is great if you can rig up a small 9hp engine on the back.   

I don’t know man. Why would you think you need to have a 9hp motor attached to a revolution 16 to make a single ama set up worth while. Right out the box you’re making approximately 8mph with the mirage drive. Which I believe to be the fast pedal kayak. The single ama setup is great in any situation when more stability is needed. Also, as I said I will be using the “super nova sail(35 square feet) which in no way can be compared to having a single ama and “AI sail”( 65 square feet). Not to mention you have a furler. 

You will not be hitting 8mph with the mirage drive unless its for a very short time going with the wind and tide. 

If you installed the aka and cross bars already (which looks like you did) I'd recommend doing the full thing.  You already have the bulk of the job done and this way you don't have to worry about it being too windy to utilize the sail and single ama, plus you'll be able to travel much faster. Hitting 10mph with the sail isnt unheard of. 

Check out Key West Kayak Fishing, he has a similar set up with the single ama and a smaller motor.  I think the set up maximizes the single ama the most.  

On 4/15/2019 at 7:42 PM, tmcd94 said:

You will not be hitting 8mph with the mirage drive unless its for a very short time going with the wind and tide. 

If you installed the aka and cross bars already (which looks like you did) I'd recommend doing the full thing.  You already have the bulk of the job done and this way you don't have to worry about it being too windy to utilize the sail and single ama, plus you'll be able to travel much faster. Hitting 10mph with the sail isnt unheard of. 

Check out Key West Kayak Fishing, he has a similar set up with the single ama and a smaller motor.  I think the set up maximizes the single ama the most.  

I hear you. 2 amas will give a better sailing experience. But my goal is to make it happen with a single ama and at the end of the day this kayak is for fishing (main priority). I’m going to have to experiment with weight distribution and furling the sail when necessary. If all fails with the single ama sailing experience, then definitely I will fall back to the 2 ama setup. But as for now, I absolutely don’t want to lug around 2 amas (might as well just purchase an AI) nor a single ama and a “big” 9hp motor (might as well get a boat).

I follow ricky’s adventure, key west kayak, and ninja yak. Good stuff

On 4/15/2019 at 7:42 PM, tmcd94 said:

Yup and you can't stress enough that you need the wind and tide. On slack tide with no wind I can pull 5.5-6 if I'm pushing it to the absolute max to the point where I'm afraid I'll break it. And that's only for a few seconds before my legs turn to jello lol

I fish out of an AI and although it takes some work getting it on the water and off- but once on it is an absolute pleasure to fish from.  As stated I would be careful with windy days- you can hike out on the ama with a haka and that should help you control the boat. 

2 hours ago, robmedina said:

I fish out of an AI and although it takes some work getting it on the water and off- but once on it is an absolute pleasure to fish from.  As stated I would be careful with windy days- you can hike out on the ama with a haka and that should help you control the boat. 

Believe it or not you’ve just given me solution to my dilemma. Based off what your saying (it can be done)  I will have to install a trampoline on the side with the rudder Control and lean out for extra balance. Or make an extended controll arm for the rudder controll.

Cheers!!

5 hours ago, JerseyJammin said:

Yup and you can't stress enough that you need the wind and tide. On slack tide with no wind I can pull 5.5-6 if I'm pushing it to the absolute max to the point where I'm afraid I'll break it. And that's only for a few seconds before my legs turn to jello lol

I might be pushing it with the 8mph statement. I actually have no proof of my own. I used to own a PA12 and was able to get as much as 5.5 mph (with sail and mirage drive). But I have seen lots of videos that says otherwise. 

Besides that. I’m pretty fit and athletic (6’2” 175lbs). You guys are making assumptions about how long a person can keep a pace for. I use to run 3 miles in 17 minutes (when I was in the USMC) and now I do it 20 minutes comfortably. I also eat very healthy. The Kayaks may have been built the same, but we are not all built the same.