Odessa44

Van staal

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

On the large side but doable-200 would be more appropriate. Be aware of the balance point and have the builder compensate (assuming custom). 

Marc

So please enlighten me when you say tell the builder to compensate for 1.2oz  on a rod build. That’s the difference between a Van Staal 200-250. 

I think a 200 would even be on the big side for a nice and light 9" odm. I use 150 and 100 on a couple of my 9" setups, but everyone has their own preference.

As stated above, the vs250 is quite large for a 9ft rod , I personally use my vs150's on a 9ft, but I would recommend going for a longer rod, is their a specific rod you want or just ODM?

It depends on the blank. I used a 200 on a fisher 8308 for years and it was fine. It would probably be ok on a 2-4/3-6 type blank. Anything light than thAt I think a 200 would be too much. 

Regarding balance, that is not something that gets a second of my time or consideration. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Jon I said:

I think a 200 would even be on the big side for a nice and light 9" odm. I use 150 and 100 on a couple of my 9" setups, but everyone has their own preference.

Jon, I think you are right in saying everybody has their own preference. I believe that a VS 100/150 might be on the lighter side though for many 9 foot surf rods and situations encountered while fishing the surf. I have used quite a few 9 footers over the years and have used everything on them from Penn 704 and 706s, Crack 300s and Luxors as well as VS 100s to the VS 300 ( when the VS first came out, the 300 was only model). I have since become very comfortable with  a VS 200 and a 9 or 9 1/2 foot rod from Lamiglas ( custom cut down GSB120 1L). I find that this reel and rods gives me a good balance of a light/medium outfit ( in weight and action) plus allows me to fish just about all of the areas I fish with confidence. I would love to be able to fish with a VS150 or even a 100 and a 8 foot rod (or light 9 foot rod) all the time but I feel these reels and rods are a little under gunned for larger bass and the many the rocky, reefy and inlet spots that I do fish.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

It all boils down to preference .. I have used a vsb150 on 8’ avid surf and also on 132-1m cut down to 10’8” and feels great on both , also use zee 25 on 132 and that feels great too 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/13/2019 at 5:04 AM, PissonDFS said:

So please enlighten me when you say tell the builder to compensate for 1.2oz  on a rod build. That’s the difference between a Van Staal 200-250. 

Add the difference in weight of the line,  the placement of the guides, whether they are under wrapped or not and the total package can be a rod with a balance point  not to your liking. Having a tip or butt heavy rod can be annoying.

Marc 

Edited by mml4

9 mins ago, xjclint said:

Just for reference I have a genesis 9 foot with the 150 and it balances perfectly

X2, love that combo. I also use mine on my 9’6” FrontierX and it works equally as well on that. I think the 150 gives you more options with regards to rod length, than the larger reels will. 

29 mins ago, Mack26 said:

X2, love that combo. I also use mine on my 9’6” FrontierX and it works equally as well on that. I think the 150 gives you more options with regards to rod length, than the larger reels will. 

Not to mention it has a 40lb fish on it in decent new moon current. No issues at all.

10 hours ago, xjclint said:

150 is the reel you want. If you can't stop a striper on a 150, no reel will help you.

Well said, the guys using larger on 9' rods are like rednecks running large tires.