Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Odessa44

G loomis short stix reviews

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

SMS

You are correct  - it's a personal thing-

I have lots of 8'6", 11', 12', 14' rods.

Fish only the 8'9" (infrequently) and 9'0" mostly.

Herb

4 hours ago, RedGreen said:

This thread isn't really about this so I don't wish to derail it by getting into TH stuff. I really shouldn't have mentioned anything. But I will say this. A 20" fish still puts a pretty healthy bend in my 13'er. The length and power are for beating the weather and surf, not the fish. I won't not use it if there were no reason as that would be just stupid. If it baffles you so then perhaps you should try it and see how it is. A big TH rod is great fun. 

Surf casters use heavier tackle than fly boys do as their rods are far stiffer and stronger, for the conditions they face. If we all used tackle to suit the fish we'd all use 8wts for stripers from shore yet a 10wt is most often recommended for the sake of not getting blown off the water. 

Sorry for derailing the thread OP. I will leave it alone now. 

I've been fishing w/ Mike for 8 years Red,tried it before,not intrigued or convinced of anything practical about it.

Almost all I use is a 10' 8wt,gets it done quite well,same in a 9 if it gets tough.

Went through a trial of a couple shorter rods and I don't like the short stroke w/ a stiff rod as it  aggravates my tendonitis.Stiff rods in general do that to me and all the short rods are that way.

Yea Slip but you never properly tried the TH with me in all them years..

But that’s no crime. A man gets to chose how he wants to fish not be told by another.

mike

5 hours ago, sms said:

Herb,

I use short rods for boat fishing. For me, they are brilliant. The short end of my rod range is below 8’. These short rods are for lines from #9 to 500gr Rio Leviathan. The elevation that comes from standing on a boat, for me makes the 9’ not necessary. And I cast about the same distance with any reasonable rod length. And if a lot of casting is needed, then the shorter one is less tiring for me. I know that people have very different preferences in many matters, but this is mine in this issue. I may not be your average caster thou.

No you are not your average caster because you are world class. I can say it if you can’t.

Mike

Short rods certainly have their time and place. I personally love them especially with sinking lines and heavy/big flies. For my casting style/skill they are more work with a longer taper though and don't use them if I'm going for a longer line. A factory made short 8-8'6" glass/CF hybrid would sure make the fly fishing world a better place.

If I had to choose a allrounder that would impact the least fatigue on me on long day of casting, it would surely be a light 9footer though rigged up with a light reel

On 4/11/2019 at 9:35 PM, Odessa44 said:

Has anyone had any experience with a g Loomis short stix 11-12 as a over all 12wt for salt

I have several short rods including four of the five Short Stix models. I really like the short rods for a lot of the fishing I do but for an "over all" rod I would go with a 9'.

I use Short rods a lot from jetties and boats and they work great for me. Fighting and landing fish are where I really appreciate the shorter rods. As for fatigue, I find my nine footers tougher to cast all day than the shorts.

On 4/15/2019 at 8:35 PM, DAQ said:

I have several short rods including four of the five Short Stix models. I really like the short rods for a lot of the fishing I do but for an "over all" rod I would go with a 9'.

I use Short rods a lot from jetties and boats and they work great for me. Fighting and landing fish are where I really appreciate the shorter rods. As for fatigue, I find my nine footers tougher to cast all day than the shorts.

Thank you for the replays its good to see so many helpful comments, didn't realize they are no longer being made however please let me know if anyone has the 11/12 model for sale left in stock or even pe used 

I designed the Shortstick (along with Ian Devlin and Steve Rajeff). They were made 7 1/2 feet long because I wanted them that short. Actually I originally wanted them 7 ft., but 7 1/2 casted better. Steve and Ian originally wanted them 9 ft. It's the taper of a rod that counts, not how long it is. YOU like the 9 footer you like because of that particular rod's taper. I wanted a boat rod. 9 footers were designed for wading for trout and salmon. You REALLY don't need a 9 footer for a boat. Especially in the Northeast. 

The 11/12 is my favorite because it has the best taper of all of them (for me, that's my opinion). That's why I like using it. It casts well short and is also a great distance rod. By the way, this is a really good False Albacore rod (the 11/12). It feels light too! You should see Kevin Callahan casting this rod for albies. Or Ian Devlin.

Because of length it fights fish well, as, if you fight the fish with a bend in the rod you get better leverage because you're using a shorter lever. I personally wanted an even stiffer butt in the Shortstick (I think they would have cast even better), and this would would have given you even more "pull".

Casting wise you can cast the Shortstick well using a lot of wrist if you want. This is how almost all fly casters want to cast anyway. Wristing seems natural. Why not design a rod that way? So it's easier to cast, especially that 11/12. You can cast it with different styles of casting.

Ian Devlin wanted a stiff tip. I like a stiff rod tip but he likes it even stiffer. A beginner or novice caster throws better with a stiffer fly rod tip. He comes through the stroke faster, doesn't use as much butt (sometimes very little), and relies on that tip to throw the line. MANY casters do. Shortsticks help that caster. Capt. Ian Devlin has proven this on his boat with clients again and again. He likes that short Wulff Ambush line too.

In the end you should buy and use the rod (at this time, regardless of length) that YOU cast and fish well. Try them with different lines, both type and make, so you can get a fair frame of reference.

For tarpon, learn to fight a fish really well. Consult Any Mill's video on fighting tarpon. He recommends practicing by pulling on a weighted bucket (or a designated dumbell weight) on a pulley so that you train yourself to exert max pressure consistently (and for a long period of time - relatively speaking)) to tire the fish.

Mark Sedotti