Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Odessa44

G loomis short stix reviews

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Yes I've used one.  It's nice.  I personally still like a 9' but my dad likes the shortstix.  I think preference has a lot to do with it.  It fights fish very well.

No first-hand experience with that rod - but

I've experimented quite a bit with sub-9" CTS blanks - the shortest I enjoyed is 8'9".  You can actually feel the difference losing that 3".

At 8'6" you begin to have to use faster casting strokes that is tiring if at it all day. 

Also - had a lot of conversations with guides in the N.E. who have come to the same conclusion.

Yes - 8'0" is a good fish fighting tool - good for the occasional cast - but not fun to cast all day.

Herb

I have cast, but not fished the 11/12.  it's a good choice if you like short rods.  For Keys tarpon where you're not casting repeatedly, it could be a nice rod.  It performs best with a short-head line. I believe Cuddy and Biscayne Rods made short rods many years ago and  they were designed specifically for fighting big tarpon.

Although I'm a fan of short rods, and have used the ShortStik 7/8, 8/9 and 9/10 versions a lot over the past three years, I'm mostly fishing them in confined areas, casts of 40 to 60 feet  and pulling fish from docks and bridges. Now I'm going back the other way and am using 8-foot rods again. The 6 inches does make a difference. The casting stroke feels better. Maybe I'll revert eventually to Herb's 8-1/2' or 8 ' 9' rods? 

Recently pulled two TFO 8' Mini Mags out of retirement and added a new 8-foot Echo BAG Quickshot 6-weight. Of the three the "casual" action of the BAG fiberglass rod has become my go-to favorite and is very comfortable for repeated casting.  Been using a Cortland Compact 6/7 line. Very comfortable to cast, slower stroke and plenty of power.  

Specific to your tarpon fishing, the BAG Quickshot is available in a 10-weight, but not 12.  

8 hours ago, HL said:

No first-hand experience with that rod - but

I've experimented quite a bit with sub-9" CTS blanks - the shortest I enjoyed is 8'9".  You can actually feel the difference losing that 3".

At 8'6" you begin to have to use faster casting strokes that is tiring if at it all day. 

Also - had a lot of conversations with guides in the N.E. who have come to the same conclusion.

Yes - 8'0" is a good fish fighting tool - good for the occasional cast - but not fun to cast all day.

Herb

I’m not sure I agree with that.  Short rods put a lot less torque and stress on your elbow and shoulder making them less ‘tiring’ or really less debilitating to cast all day.  NE guides recommend based on who they are sponsored by - can’t think of one I know who is sponsored by Loomis.

That they are discontinued only speaks to the mindset popularity of 9 foot rods, not the effectiveness of the 7-1/2 a nd 8 footers.  Many flyrodders just can't get used to the IDEA of the short rod, but once they use them, they like them. Different strokes for different folks. 

2 hours ago, SnookFly said:

That they are discontinued only speaks to the mindset popularity of 9 foot rods, not the effectiveness of the 7-1/2 a nd 8 footers.  Many flyrodders just can't get used to the IDEA of the short rod, but once they use them, they like them. Different strokes for different folks. 

Completely agreed. Same reason TH saltwater rods as in 13'+ really powerful rods haven't caught on yet. And likely won't. Fly fishers the majority are traditionalists and don't like change. Even if the new alternative does work better. 

13 hours ago, RedGreen said:

Completely agreed. Same reason TH saltwater rods as in 13'+ really powerful rods haven't caught on yet. And likely won't. Fly fishers the majority are traditionalists and don't like change. Even if the new alternative does work better. 

13' rods will not likely catch on,esp as we continue to see a decline in size of the avg fish:there is no practical use for them.That anyone would use such a heavy instrument for small fish absolutely baffles me.

16 mins ago, slip n slide said:

13' rods will not likely catch on,esp as we continue to see a decline in size of the avg fish:there is no practical use for them.That anyone would use such a heavy instrument for small fish absolutely baffles me.

This thread isn't really about this so I don't wish to derail it by getting into TH stuff. I really shouldn't have mentioned anything. But I will say this. A 20" fish still puts a pretty healthy bend in my 13'er. The length and power are for beating the weather and surf, not the fish. I won't not use it if there were no reason as that would be just stupid. If it baffles you so then perhaps you should try it and see how it is. A big TH rod is great fun. 

Surf casters use heavier tackle than fly boys do as their rods are far stiffer and stronger, for the conditions they face. If we all used tackle to suit the fish we'd all use 8wts for stripers from shore yet a 10wt is most often recommended for the sake of not getting blown off the water. 

Sorry for derailing the thread OP. I will leave it alone now. 

14 hours ago, HL said:

Cpalms

Yes - less impact on the body.

It's like high gear on a bike - easier but you don't go far.

Herb

Yes.

JC

19 hours ago, Cpalms said:

I’m not sure I agree with that.  Short rods put a lot less torque and stress on your elbow and shoulder making them less ‘tiring’ or really less debilitating to cast all day.  NE guides recommend based on who they are sponsored by - can’t think of one I know who is sponsored by Loomis.

Cpalms,

To put my post in the proper perspective:

I am the U.S Distributor of CTS blanks and the NE guide, knowing that CTS will build a custom blank, contacted me to consider the option of a 7'8" - 8'0" blank for his personal use.  I have no idea if he is or he is not sponsored by a rod company.

I did not encourage him towards a "short" rod - nor did other fellow guides and friends.

Herb

Herb,

I use short rods for boat fishing. For me, they are brilliant. The short end of my rod range is below 8’. These short rods are for lines from #9 to 500gr Rio Leviathan. The elevation that comes from standing on a boat, for me makes the 9’ not necessary. And I cast about the same distance with any reasonable rod length. And if a lot of casting is needed, then the shorter one is less tiring for me. I know that people have very different preferences in many matters, but this is mine in this issue. I may not be your average caster thou.