DResc

Best Lures/Plugs to use?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hello, not sure if I'm allowed to ask this. I know some people dont like to give away secrets but here it goes:

I have been Surf Striper fishing for the past 5-6 years so I'm a newby compared to a lot of you here. I've mainly been a bait guy but recently started throwing lures too. The only striper I've ever caught throwing lures was on a white 2oz. bucktail this past November out front in OC. My question is what lures/plugs are the best to use? I went to Dicks the other day and spent $100 on Mag Darters, SP minnows, Deadly Dicks, diamond jigs and poppers. Is there anything else specific that you guys can suggest? I try to look at the pics posted here and see what's in the fish's mouth...lol. I want to run to Dicks again tomorrow for any last minutes things if needed.

Thanks All

D

You pretty much nailed it. I only have a couple fish from lures under my belt but I mean it's pretty standard. SPs, poppers, bucktails, spoons, diamond jigs, sluggos.

first off, dont go to Dicks. Youll find that if you support your local tackle shops, they will support you. Plus the general rule of thumb is buy something and theyll give ya a bit of info on the bite.

Plugs: SP, Mag Darter, Popper, Swim Shads.

Once you feel comfortable with catching on moving baits then I highly suggest you take a year to master the bucktail, then come back to use other plugs.

Dont overcomplicate things. Fish the plugs however YOU think they should be fished and if nothing is working just slow down more and more until you find the speed that the fish want.

Good luck. PM me if you have specific quesitons on color or structure to target etc

13 hours ago, DResc said:

Hello, not sure if I'm allowed to ask this. I know some people dont like to give away secrets but here it goes:

I'm almost positive that 'what you're not allowed to ask,' or what would bring ire, is asking about locations.....spot burns bring crowds, and people who did the work to find fish suddenly can't find parking, or have 2 morons throwing bait where the dude, who put the work in, now can't let his bucktail drift without tangling. Bass go to specific spots for reasons. Once you know the probabilities of where/when/why, it sucks to have it ruined by a Facebook post. 

9 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

first off, dont go to Dicks. Youll find that if you support your local tackle shops, they will support you. Plus the general rule of thumb is buy something and theyll give ya a bit of info on the bite.

Plugs: SP, Mag Darter, Popper, Swim Shads.

Once you feel comfortable with catching on moving baits then I highly suggest you take a year to master the bucktail, then come back to use other plugs.

Dont overcomplicate things. Fish the plugs however YOU think they should be fished and if nothing is working just slow down more and more until you find the speed that the fish want.

Good luck. PM me if you have specific quesitons on color or structure to target etc

DragonsLax48, Thank you. I will hit the Tackle Box on 36 instead of going back to Dicks. I've been there many times and I like supporting them. I have to be careful though, I can easily spend $300-$400 in there without even knowing it. I mean 'I heard' I could....Pheeew, good thing my wife isnt a member here...LOL

9 hours ago, Livefreeordie said:

I'm almost positive that 'what you're not allowed to ask,' or what would bring ire, is asking about locations.....spot burns bring crowds, and people who did the work to find fish suddenly can't find parking, or have 2 morons throwing bait where the dude, who put the work in, now can't let his bucktail drift without tangling. Bass go to specific spots for reasons. Once you know the probabilities of where/when/why, it sucks to have it ruined by a Facebook post. 

Thanks, I understand about the spot burning. The areas are only so big and get real crowded. Its only a matter of time until spots are learned. Lets not rush it by burning them.

Number one successor for me having only started saltwater fishing a year ago has been paddletail swim shads and sluggos. Ive had success with bucktails/sp minnows/mag darters. Late in the year I did well with metals. But mostly swim shads have always done well. Its my start to every trip, then I go through the bag. If the whole bag fails, I go back to the shads again before switching spots lol. Good luck bud! Oh and as for swim shads, I like Bass Assassins and EliasV swim shads and a variety of jigheads depending on where im at and what the current is like.

On 4/12/2019 at 7:19 PM, DResc said:

DragonsLax48, Thank you. I will hit the Tackle Box on 36 instead of going back to Dicks. I've been there many times and I like supporting them. I have to be careful though, I can easily spend $300-$400 in there without even knowing it. I mean 'I heard' I could....Pheeew, good thing my wife isnt a member here...LOL

Don't know where you are, but Giglio's in Sea Bright is a good spot too and so is Fred's on 35.

Giglio turned me on to Hogy swim shads. Worked very well for me in the fall. I know what you mean about the $$$. the lures come in so many great colors you want one of each LOL