srm413

Opinions - Orvis Recon vs Winston Boron IIx 7wt for freshwater sm bass

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

may have an opportunity to buy one of these rods used.  I have a boron iix in 9wt that I use occasionally for stripers and like it, but the recon seems universally liked.  the rod would be for freshwater use only for smallies up to maybe 3lbs.

I have the 6wt Recon with fighting butt and love it. I’ve cast that Winston before and generally liked it but haven’t done a side by side. I assume the Recon will also cost you less.

I am a big fan of the winston boron rods.

I don't think the IIx is available any longer, I think they are up to the III (3rd generation). 

I prefer a more moderate flexing rod when I'm throwing clouser's, topwater bugs, and weighted buggers. I prefer the Saltwater Air over the III Plus. 

If you prefer a faster action rod, go with the plus, if you prefer a little more flex and feel in your rod, go with the saltwater air.

I do not know of anyone who is ever disappointed with a nice high end Winston Fly Rod, they just make great rods.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use a 6 wt. St. Croix Bankrobber fo my river Smallmouth Bass fishing. Love that rod, its got the perfect action for me...Since it was designed as a streamer rod, it throws bulky Smallmouth flys with ease.A 7 wt. is probably more of an allrounder, but the 6wt. is nice for the size of fish you describe..

Whoops didn't see that you have a chance to buy them used....

Edited by ItsNotLuck

I have a 7 wt Winston BIIx which I absolutely love. I mainly use it for freshwater (LM bass & peacocks) but also for light saltwater use. The whole BIIx series loads quickly and easily for quick presentations up close - and you can also do longer casts just as easily (just not too long, maybe) if you just let the rod do its thing. Great feel, beautiful rods. 

Sage Smallmouth 290 Rod!

It might be my favorite rod to fish.  But it is not good for sinking lines.  If you are just floating and intermediate it is awesome.  I use it also for redfish and snook.

The Orvis Recon cant be beat as a general purpose 7wt.  But again the sage rod as a specialty rod is just so fun to fish.

Hundreds of smallies on my BIIX.  Great rods for accurate casts, letting  1 and 2 lb ers actually give a little fight, enough backbone to put the wood to trophy fish. Recon is decent, like the Winston a lot  more.  Catching schoolies on it right now.