fishinguy76

Manhattan
New to NYC

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, fishinguy76 said:

Bob,

in in a few more days I’ll have PM privileges, I’ll send you a message then.  Thanks for your help and your patience.

PM me when you get them, I have a boat in the western sound, I fly fish , plug and use live bunker. Always looking fore someone to fly fish with me. Will be in Florida till next Thursday chasing Tarpon and snook. You can jump on when I get back. Can pick you up from the Port Washington  or Plandome train stations. Good Luck!!!

9 hours ago, fishinguy76 said:

sand eel, is a surf candy a good imitation? Do you have a better suggestion?

Surf candies will work well, as will almost any slim profile fly.  Sparse clousers, flatwings, Ray's fly etc will all work.  I tie one with a rabbit strip tail and a small EP head - works great.

On 4/12/2019 at 2:56 PM, fishinguy76 said:

JCH,

Thanks for the info. I went to UA and got a cold shoulder (three times now). I will try Orvis then maybe. I think they have an event at their store this weekend.

I tried going out with a guide of John McMurray's last year, went to Jamaica Bay, fished for 6-8 hours with fly and spin tackle, one strike on a walk the dog topwater but it was a small striper and didn't stay on for very long. Nothing else. It was a tough, tough day. Got the standard, yesterday was great, don't know where they are today, and I know that can be absolutely true, it still stinks.

McMurray is top shelf among the NYC guides.  Maybe you really got unlucky that day.  What month? 

Little off topic, but McMurray is one of the leading activist for local game fish conservation.

McMurray had me go with one of his other guides, don’t want to give name as it could have been a dozen different reasons for crappy fishing. 

June 2018 was the time. The fact we couldn’t find blues really blew my mind.

My office is on 49th and 5th ave...if you are in that neighborhood you could swing buy one day and have a beer and I will help give you the low down on fresh and salt opportunities.  The ferry from lower manhattan to belford or atlantic highlands is something I used to do regularly back in the day...I would beat the traffic down on the ferry, fish all night, take ferry back after sunrise, shower , change at gym, and go back upstairs to work....I can't operate like that with no sleep anymore however. 

48 mins ago, fishinguy76 said:

McMurray had me go with one of his other guides, don’t want to give name as it could have been a dozen different reasons for crappy fishing. 

June 2018 was the time. The fact we couldn’t find blues really blew my mind.

Just tried sending you a PM. I'm also in the city but fish frequently at Bay Park in East Rockaway in the spring and hit Jones Beach and Robert Moses during the summer and fall. Let me know if you're interested in meeting up!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Flybyme, that is an amazing offer. I should have PM right's this coming weekend, I'll send you a note then.  Thank you very much!

Edited by fishinguy76
typo

buckmaster,

I am on the edge of too old do that as well. I figure I can do it a few times this summer with a morning of rest afterwards.

I'd like to talk to you about that some more. Maybe we can meet for a beer next week. I am available just about any evening. 

nycstripers16, that is another amazing offer. Yes, I'd love to meet up and try to catch a few fish. I'll have PM capabilities this weekend. I'll send you a note then.

Cheers

On 4/11/2019 at 5:24 PM, BrianBM said:

Good time of year to arrive, the inshore fly season is awakening. 

Your tackle is fine. 

As to metropolitan NYC, use the Search (top right of the page here, on my desktop) and search this Forum for Carp.  We have a posting brother here, Bill de Brooklyn, who has caught carp in all five boroughs of NYC. As to area beaches, I don't know the areas to recommend. Little Neck Bay should start to hold small bass now. The problem is parking, since most shoreline is fiercely defended by homeowners. 

Don't forget to post a joke.

Lol, I'm one of the homeowners and yes, the non-fishing folks are very protective of their beach.  Spoke to one of the security guards and "someone" ratted to the EPA about fishermen taking shorties.  Well, that got their attention and since last year, the EPA has been a daily presence.  

Personally, I don't mind but obviously the homeowners' true motive is to get people off "their" beach (which they never use anyway).  I saw a Hispanic family who came regularly to the beach get ticketed for three shorties they kept.  It sort of sucks because you know that was their dinner. 

Adding to all of the aforementioned comments....A bike with a good lock will greatly expand your access to spots as well as cut down on the time it takes to walk from the train/subway.  Also, if you are willing to take the train, don't neglect the western long island sound along the Connecticut coast line.  If you have a bike, you will be able to ride to some of the parks and other good shore access points.  With a bike, you can also get into the parks before they open (pre-dawn and early morning hours) and stay after they lock the vehicle gates (at dusk and even later, when the fishing is typically best).  

Go to Urban Angler on the weekends and ask for Brian. If he's not there ask for his telephone number and call him ( he may not work there now). That guy REALLY knows the waters around NYC on foot. Believe me.... I'm no BS and I've been at it in this area (Sound, Metro area, Long Island) for five decades. For yourself try Jamaica Bay, Little Neck Bay.

Go fishing right NOW- April w/guide! Get a guide like Jason Dapra or Rob Radlov and fish the NY Bite with them. You will get fish! And good size. They know how and where to put you on fish. Might be good through and past full moon in May with these guys.

Starting from the middle of next month going on into June go out of your way to fish with Capt. Ian Devlin out of Norwalk CT. He will have great surface fishing on Western Long Island Sound - there and the far Eastern part of the Sound are his haunts! There are a number of good fly guides in the region, some well known, but no one is truely better than Ian Devlin.                  M.S.

Welcome. What podcast did you listen too? 

Take the ferry from Wall Street to rockaway $2.75. You’ll have acces to both the bay and the ocean on foot. Hit me up via pm when you make a move and I’ll clue you in

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/15/2019 at 10:02 PM, Flybyme said:

PM me when you get them, I have a boat in the western sound, I fly fish , plug and use live bunker. Always looking fore someone to fly fish with me. Will be in Florida till next Thursday chasing Tarpon and snook. You can jump on when I get back. Can pick you up from the Port Washington  or Plandome train stations. Good Luck!!!

John McMurray on Ask About Fly Fishing

Edited by fishinguy76
Typo