fishinguy76

Manhattan
New to NYC

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

There's a lot of fish in the NYC waterways, it's tough getting to them without a boat. I've read about city divers doing repair work on bridge abutments and having to work among pods of big striped bass. I used to catch schoolie bass off a pier that went around the base of the Brooklyn Bridge years ago. They've since torn that pier down.

There is an old thread on SOL about fishing in the city. You might want to check that out.

There's the Manhattan Cup striper tournament in June. Look up manhattancup dot com. And there used to be a Jamaica Bay Kayak striped bass tournament, but it appears that's no longer active.

And all the city parks have lakes with fish in them, lmb, panfish, large carp.

I would take the SeaStreak ferry from Manhattan (minutes from NYC )  to Atlantic Highlands NJ and fish the Sandy Hook, Union Beach , Raritan Bay .area No Car = Uber  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Try Little Neck Bay Crocheron Park, get  National Park fishing permit (Gateway National Recreational Area) then try west end of Rockaway Point Blvd fishing parking lot and Breezy Point and east end of Jacob Riis Park. Any more detail might be considered spot burning if I haven’t already done it. But explore and good luck. Buy a junker automobile for fishing because you need one but if an Uber pick up at 4am for a 50 mi round trip is ok by you go for it except there is relative easy public transportation to Riis Park from Brooklyn or you might try shoreline of Astoria Park which is easy to get to by subway and elevated from Manhattan and finally jigging around pilings of old piers around Manhattan produces fish but with a fly rod you are going to have to radically adapt to bottom bouncing and lost tackle due to a sea bed littered with 200 years of snagable debris. 

Edited by flyrad10
Uber and huge distance within NYC for recreation

great information folks, I truly appreciate it.

I can't afford too many ubers, but a few are ok. They are still cheaper than trying to keep a car in the city. I also spin fish so I might try the old and new piers around 75th in the hudson. The water was just so dirty.

I looked at central park lake the other day and it wasn't very clear either.

I think I have to get used to that.

Oyster Bay on LI is great for fly fishing in the spring.  Long Island rail road goes there from Penn station as well.  Fish the bay and the sound side beaches from now to end of May.  Pelham has a ton of good spots to fish from shore, Metro North and a short cab ride from the pelham train station gets you there.

If you want to get fired up watch peter laurellis videos on Fly fishing in NYC.  They are all on vimeo. 

Central Park and the other city park lakes require a freshwater license, barbless hooks and no lead sinkers. You are not allowed to keep or posses the wildlife in the parks so it it catch and release only.

I fished the park thru the 80s and then it was quite good. OK it was pretty awesome.

Back then folks were leery about going into the park before dawn and all left at dusk. 

Just the freaks and fishers :)

Then the city got safe, the park got crowded, the dog walkers let fido in the lake at every opportunity and they just trampled the spawning bass spring after spring.

I was there a couple years ago in late April or early May, there is a little knee high fence around the lake. I have no idea what the rules are about crossing it, but where there was water access, well... it aint what it was. No nests, no fish. Sad.

And it was crowded. Even after dark. The rats are still there though....

Fall vacations in Montauk!!!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank you all for your help. I tried Harlem Meer today, 15-20 other anglers , both fly, spin, and bait.

didnt see much cought, maybe 3-4 gills. Saw some nicer gills and some decent bass, but not much catching.

i will give it another shot at some point.

spelling by Apple!

Edited by fishinguy76

12 hours ago, Ebbtide231 said:

Then the city got safe, the park got crowded, the dog walkers let fido in the lake at every opportunity and they just trampled the spawning bass spring after spring.

I used to fish Central Park but quit because of the dogs. I liked to go early in the morning and there were always people there who had their dogs off-leash and the dogs would be in the lake and chasing ducks. And then there were the dog owners who had no control of their pets - the dogs were running free and their hapless owners were yelling at them at top volume at 6 am in the morning because the animals were out of control. Not to mention the folks who loved to throw tree limbs in the lake for their dogs to retrieve. It took all the fun out of the fishing. What's the old outdoor ethics adage - go quietly, take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints?

Tried to send you a PM, but you do not yet meet the requirements, so

please meet them or post your E-Mail or phone #.  There a whole lot of

of spots around, but they would be ruined if posted on a forum by

overcrowding, disrespect of private property, careless parking,trespassing,

just plain rudeness to local folks, etc.                                                                                                                                         Bob

On 4/12/2019 at 2:56 PM, fishinguy76 said:

Thanks for the info. I went to UA and got a cold shoulder (three times now). I will try Orvis then maybe. I think they have an event at their store this weekend.

I tried going out with a guide of John McMurray's last year, went to Jamaica Bay, fished for 6-8 hours with fly and spin tackle, one strike on a walk the dog topwater but it was a small striper and didn't stay on for very long. Nothing else. It was a tough, tough day. Got the standard, yesterday was great, don't know where they are today, and I know that can be absolutely true, it still stinks.

That's a bummer about UA, but unfortunately I've felt that before.  Sometimes it feels like unless you're booking a $20K trip to the Seychelles, you're not worth their time.  It depends on who's working.  The guys are Orvis are generally nicer, but I've found they focused more on trout in the Catskills than the saltwater I prefer.

Striper fishing in the bay is seasonal.  Not sure when you went, but July/August/Early Sept can be a grind.  May and October still have bad days, but far fewer.  John knows that Bay like the back of his hand - if you're not finding them with him, they're probably not eating.

A couple other resources for you: Prospect Park Lake has the largest concentration of LMB in the state (so they say), the DEC has good resources for saltwater access points (search for "I FISH NY Saltwater Fishing Guide for New York City Area") and there's a woman who runs a summertime panfish tournament in Brooklyn called Panfish Pandemonium.  I never fished it, but it looks fun...

LIRR to Bayside (30 min from Penn station). Get out and walk to Crocheron Park (10-15 min), walk across the overpass (by the pond) and boom, Little Neck Bay. Start fishing. Check tides...things are starting to heat up. Sand eel patterns right about now.