fishinguy76

Manhattan
New to NYC

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I just moved to Manhattan from Chicago with my wife late last year. I used to fish for stripers and blues in Narragansett Bay while I was in college in Providence (that was a few years ago now).

Looking for help on where and how to shore fish for anything that swims. I am not looking for anyone's secret spots, just general info. 

Also, could anyone suggest any good books on the subject? 

I have a 9ft 9 weight and a 9ft 7 weight that I think will do the job, the 9 has a intermediate line and the 7 has a floater. 

Hope you all shed some light on this for me.

Thanks,

Good time of year to arrive, the inshore fly season is awakening. 

Your tackle is fine. 

As to metropolitan NYC, use the Search (top right of the page here, on my desktop) and search this Forum for Carp.  We have a posting brother here, Bill de Brooklyn, who has caught carp in all five boroughs of NYC. As to area beaches, I don't know the areas to recommend. Little Neck Bay should start to hold small bass now. The problem is parking, since most shoreline is fiercely defended by homeowners. 

Don't forget to post a joke.

BrianBM,

Thanks for the quick response, it is truly appreciated.

I will look in the carp thing, I didn't even think about them. I've done a little bit of sight fishing for them in Illinois and they are a tough fish to feed. I finally figured it out at the end and had them dialed in on two patterns. Burrowing mayfly nymphs and small crayfish imitations.

Local Saltwater: 

Parking won't be a concern, we sold our car when we moved here from Chicago. My biggest issue is how do I get there. The public transportation is amazing in this city so lets see what I find.

Joke: we must keep them G rated I guess so here is a bad Dad joke

A man in a movie theater notices what looks like a polar bear sitting next to him.

"Are you a polar bear?" asked the man, surprised.

"Yes." replied the polar bear.

"What are you doing at the movies?"  asked the man.

The polar bear replied, "Well, I liked the book." 

Jamaica Bay has shore access and public transportation and is probably your best bet. Pelham Bay and Glenn Island park are close but may require a car and probably a kayak as well. I think an inflatable kayak would be a huge asset.

Thank you bobtheflounder

I've heard Jamaica Bay is good, there's a podcast on it I listened to that had me super interested.

Any suggestions for inflatable kayaks?

3 hours ago, fishinguy76 said:

Hi Folks,

I just moved to Manhattan from Chicago with my wife late last year. I used to fish for stripers and blues in Narragansett Bay while I was in college in Providence (that was a few years ago now).

Looking for help on where and how to shore fish for anything that swims. I am not looking for anyone's secret spots, just general info. 

Also, could anyone suggest any good books on the subject? 

I have a 9ft 9 weight and a 9ft 7 weight that I think will do the job, the 9 has a intermediate line and the 7 has a floater. 

Hope you all shed some light on this for me.

Thanks,

Join the Brooklyn Fishing Club. Good group of guys.

56 mins ago, fishinguy76 said:

Thank you bobtheflounder

I've heard Jamaica Bay is good, there's a podcast on it I listened to that had me super interested.

Any suggestions for inflatable kayaks?

I dont have any experience with inflatables but Jamaica bay can be pretty turbulent at times so I would pay attention to the weather and also get a sea specific kayak. 

Hello bushshark,

I am willing to travel pretty far, several hours if need be.

Yes I am willing to take metro north.

I live near Broadway and 68th st, kinda close to Lincoln Center if that helps.

Cool, metro north is your friend then.  Once you get pm enabled hit me up.  Do you only want to wade?  There are some pretty reasonable flats guides in CT that are not very far, LI guides you can reach by train.  Breezy is tough by public transportation even with Uber I'd add. Anyway, like i said once you can pm send me a message.

There's world-class striper/blue/albie within the confines of the 5 boroughs and several great guides.  Call Danny Reich, John McMurray or Brendan McCarthy.

Also the guys at UA or Orvis can put you onto city spots.  

JCH,

Thanks for the info. I went to UA and got a cold shoulder (three times now). I will try Orvis then maybe. I think they have an event at their store this weekend.

I tried going out with a guide of John McMurray's last year, went to Jamaica Bay, fished for 6-8 hours with fly and spin tackle, one strike on a walk the dog topwater but it was a small striper and didn't stay on for very long. Nothing else. It was a tough, tough day. Got the standard, yesterday was great, don't know where they are today, and I know that can be absolutely true, it still stinks.

Sad that UA were not what you expected. That’s amazing when business is hard to come by. You have choices.

Getting the skunk is part of the game. No guarantees in our sport.

mike