JoeyZac

Upgrading From a Note 3 to a Note 5?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Anyone familiar with the Samsung Galaxy Note Series?

I know people who have the 9 and love it, but the sad truth is that I am simply too abusive and irresponsible to have an expensive phone.  The last 3 I had went in the drink fighting a Marlin, went overboard in my pocket, and cracked when it bounced off the dash in rough seas.

Currently I have a Note 3, and have no complaints at all with it, but it is acting up, randomly rebooting, and the screen backlight is on it's way out, so I might as well replace it before it goes out on it's own.

Looks like I can buy a brand new Note 5 for $200

Anyone have/had a 5?  Any reason to not go that route?

I've had a Note 5 for maybe 3 years now, got it new. This has been the most reliable phone I've had so I haven't upgraded, even though I have been eligible for a year now. 

I had a Note 5 about 4-5 years ago, probably when they were new, and then a Note 7, or maybe 8, after I (for real) ran over the 5 with the Suburban. The second Note died in a thunderstorm at Assateague: I left the damn thing in the pocket of my pants when I went to bed, and when I woke up, it was underneath 3 inches of water. RIP.

After I blew the second Note, I said screw it, and got a cheap phone, an LG charge or something like that. It was under $100. That lasted about 10 months before it **** the bed.

Just a week ago, actually, I replaced the el-cheapo phone, which was pretty much a piece of crap, with another LG, the Stylus 4. So far, this seems to me to be as good as either of my Samsungs, and it was relatively cheap, like $175-ish. It's not a bottom-of-the-barrel phone on price, but it is way less than the expensive phones. And it has the removable stylus that lets you write notes on the phone, which is one thing that I missed when I didn't have a Note.

Check it out:

I've never once used the Stylus.

Phone calls, GPS, lots and lots of Chess, Photos, weather/wind/tides, alarm clock, and posting fish pics to Facebook.  That's really about all I use the phone for.

37 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

S your posting pictures to Facebook then you definitely need a pink iPhone....

yup - hard to spin this out of the gay-dome.  he's a goner.  

It's a solid smartphone and worth the upgrade if your Note 3 is acting up.

I've tested and owned just about every Samsung Note / Galaxy and can tell you it'll be a nice upgrade from the 3.

At $200 even better unless you want to spend close to $1k or more on the latest flavor of Samsung smartphone.

52 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Good to hear.  It's on the way, should have it in another day or two.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Can you watch starwars on it!?

1 hour ago, redfishkiller said:

Can you watch starwars on it!?

"Could" I, sure, but please note that "watching movies" was not one of the things I mentioned using the phone for. :beatin:

31 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

"Could" I, sure, but please note that "watching movies" was not one of the things I mentioned using the phone for. :beatin:

Calm down skywanker!