St. Croix Warranty

Rate this topic

Pma531

25 mins ago, Recoil Rob said:

And what if the "local shop" damages the blank?

That’s would be your problem unless the rod is covered under the gold plan. I guess you can assume the risk of an experienced rod builder  in the local shop damaging the blank is much less than a normal user like me for example.

Edited by levari

1 hour ago, levari said:

Just bought the 12’ Legend surf 1-6 for my next trip to Mexico. I am glad I tried the century

few years ago and got rid of it the following year. ..

it’s like buying a boat. You are happy when you buy it and happier when you sell it.

I just picked up the 12’  1-6 a few weeks ago. No real time or fish on it yet. Just some test casting at the beach.  The rod bombs  pencils and bottles, and big swimmers like nothing else. I love the tip on this rod. Totally amazing! It’s also lighter than most 10ft rods, coming in at a little over 16oz..

Im think of picking up the 2-8. Do you own this rod? What are you throwing with it?

Edited by Tagman

11 mins ago, Tagman said:

I just picked up the 12’  1-6 a few weeks ago. No real time or fish on it yet. Just some test casting at the beach.  The rod bombs  pencils and bottles, and big swimmers like nothing else. I love the tip on this rod. Totally amazing! It’s also lighter than most 10ft rods, coming in at a little over 16oz..

Im think of picking up the 2-8. Do you own this rod? What are you throwing with it?

Yes, I also own the 2-8. I use it in BI for the GRS slim trollers and the XL eel skin plugs ( both around 7 Oz). It casts SS darter well as well but if I don’t carry with me the heavy GRS plugs I leave the 2-8 home and bring the 11’ which is wrongly rated 2-8 as well. Should be more like 1-5. This year I will also be using the 12’ 1-6 for the lighter stuff 5oz and under.

Edited by levari

5 mins ago, levari said:

Yes, I also own the 2-8. I use it in BI for the GRS slim trollers and the XL eel skin plugs ( both around 7 Oz). It casts SS darter well as well but if I don’t carry with me the heavy GRS plugs I leave the 2-8 home and bring the 11’ which is wrongly rated 2-8 as well. Should be more like 1-5. This year I will also be using the 12’ 1-6 for the lighter stuff 5oz and under.

Yeah, I don't really throw  enough in that range to pull the plug on the 2-8, but you have me wondering if a 11’ might fill a spot in my collection. Gonna check it out. Thanks.

10 mins ago, Tagman said:

Yeah, I don't really throw  enough in that range to pull the plug on the 2-8, but you have me wondering if a 11’ might fill a spot in my collection. Gonna check it out. Thanks.

I would not spend my money on the 12 heavy unless I cast the big plugs I mentioned or I go shark fishing..

6 mins ago, levari said:

I would not spend my money on the 12 heavy unless I cast the big plugs I mentioned or I go shark fishing..

Your right, and I never throw any kind of 6-7oz type swimmers. I certainly wouldn’t buy it to throw bait. I have many nice conventional outfits for that. 

2 hours ago, levari said:

Just bought the 12’ Legend surf 1-6 for my next trip to Mexico. I am glad I tried the century

few years ago and got rid of it the following year. ..

it’s like buying a boat. You are happy when you buy it and happier when you sell it.

Dunno about that. On my third slingshot by the 10’6” and 11.

On 4/11/2019 at 4:06 PM, Pma531 said:

I had to use the St. Croix warranty for one of my rods. I’m pretty impressed with St. Croix. Back in 2016 I bought a 9’ St. Croix Mojo Surf 3/4-4oz with a 5 year warranty. I have a bunch of St. Croix rods and I’ve never had an issue with any of them.

With this rod, I’ve had a bunch of issues with the guides and at the end of last season, it started spinning at the reel seat. I took it to a local tackle shop to fix the reel seat and to fix yet another guide which had an Insert pop out. I was told the reel seat was a warranty issue. I contacted St. Croix, sent them the entire rod, and was told with one phone call (they called me) that they are giving me a brand new rod.

A brand new rod for a rod that has been fished for almost three years.... that’s freakin awesome!!!!! Just sharing my experience.

I've been fishing St. Croix for as long as a can remember fishing on my own $. I still have 2 freshwater bass rods that are like 20yrs old, never broke one, everything original. My son had broke his original Mojo surf a few years ago trying to muscle in a huge Bluefish. I called St. Croix, the guy, Ron I think, was great, he up sold me on the Avid (be prepared for the up-sell, its happened to others I know) which I was more than happy to upgrade. One thing, it took about two months to get, after being told 2-4 weeks. I LOVE ST. CROIX RODS AND THERE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more,

another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one be again." 

William Beebe

27 mins ago, mattyboyee said:

I've been fishing St. Croix for as long as a can remember fishing on my own $. I still have 2 freshwater bass rods that are like 20yrs old, never broke one, everything original. My son had broke his original Mojo surf a few years ago trying to muscle in a huge Bluefish. I called St. Croix, the guy, Ron I think, was great, he up sold me on the Avid (be prepared for the up-sell, its happened to others I know) which I was more than happy to upgrade. One thing, it took about two months to get, after being told 2-4 weeks. I LOVE ST. CROIX RODS AND THERE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

I don’t remember who I spoke to. He did say they have a good stock so I should have it by  this upcoming Wednesday. He did try for the Avid. Honestly, I would have but just bought a new hobie and a Elite Ti2 pretty recently. I have a bunch of St. Croix LMB rods I converted to fluke rods which are absolutely awesome. This is the only rod I’ve ever had issues with. I’m happy with how it went. For me, it was really quick and easy.

On April 12, 2019 at 10:34 AM, Ravens52988 said:

Better rod? What makes them such a crappy rod to you? Owned st. Croix for 20+ years and never broken a single rod(knock on wood) and ill use weights way beyond their limit and cast sometimes how they shouldnt be.  You own century's and van staal's.Getting higher end stuff doesnt make you a better fisherman, it just makes you a better consumer.

Slow down, cowboy. I never said that St. Croix is a "crappy" rod.  In fact, I think they're excellent. I also neither said nor suggested that expensive tackle makes one a better fisherman. You recently quit smoking? 

Edited by InvokeFifth

"It's tough to end your fishing trip when catching fish, but it's harder to end it when you're not."

Joe X

On 4/12/2019 at 6:13 AM, InvokeFifth said:

Of course the cost of the warranty is built in to the price of the rod.  

Perhaps St. Croix should use that money to build a better rod. 

Last sentence, thats saying their rods aren't good. Outside of their legend, $ wise, their rods are some of the best $ for $ rods. $200/$250 rods outperforming $5/$6/$700 rods.

Edited by Ravens52988

42 mins ago, Ravens52988 said:

Last sentence, thats saying their rods aren't good. Outside of their legend, $ wise, their rods are some of the best $ for $ rods. $200/$250 rods outperforming $5/$6/$700 rods.

No it isn't, it's saying they could be better. And unless you think they are now perfect, they can always be improved.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn

9 mins ago, Recoil Rob said:

No it isn't, it's saying they could be better. And unless you think they are now perfect, they can always be improved.

Its both. Anything and everything can be improved. For the price of a century or odm or any high priced rod, arent close to perfect and can always be improved. Unless hes talking about the legend, st. Croix over performs on their rods. Getting high end rod performance for 1/4 the price. You cant get a $200/$300 rod and expect it to perform like a rod 3× its price but you do with a few companies(st croix, tsunami etc.)

Edited by Ravens52988

• TimS locked this topic