Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Midge hatches?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Any trout guys run into any? Ive been looking, esp in the shallows where water temps may be higher.  Only seen one minor one so far. The few that were hatching were being devoured by trout. Other than that, surface activity has been slow.

42 mins ago, bob_G said:

Any trout guys run into any? Ive been looking, esp in the shallows where water temps may be higher.  Only seen one minor one so far. The few that were hatching were being devoured by trout. Other than that, surface activity has been slow.

I've seen them but they were not being touched by the trout

A couple weeks ago during a warm, overcast morning. It wasn’t enough activity to warrant the use of dries, so I fished a booby and beat the hell out of them. 

34 mins ago, Seadogg said:

A couple weeks ago during a warm, overcast morning. It wasn’t enough activity to warrant the use of dries, so I fished a booby and beat the hell out of them. 

Ive never had luck with a booby. Tony Stezcko used to rave about them. Maybe I'm not fishing them right.

5 mins ago, bob_G said:

Floating or sinking line?

Full sink is best. The fly hovers over the bottom, always in the strike zone. 

15 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Full sink is best. The fly hovers over the bottom, always in the strike zone. 

Slow retrieve or no retrieve?

4 mins ago, bob_G said:

Slow retrieve or no retrieve?

When the line lays on the bottom begin stripping. Try different retrieves. Sometimes quick and short, sometimes slow and long. The fly darts toward the bottom and slowly rises during the pause. You can dead stick for as long as you want. 

27 mins ago, Seadogg said:

When the line lays on the bottom begin stripping. Try different retrieves. Sometimes quick and short, sometimes slow and long. The fly darts toward the bottom and slowly rises during the pause. You can dead stick for as long as you want. 

Thanks.

16 hours ago, bob_G said:

Ive never had luck with a booby. Tony Stezcko used to rave about them. Maybe I'm not fishing them right.

Do I dare ask the question?  What is a booby?  That's a fly term that I haven't heard before.

19 mins ago, clambellies said:

Do I dare ask the question?  What is a booby?  That's a fly term that I haven't heard before.

Alan,

Even though I've tied quite a few, its a tough fly to describe. Google "booby fly". You'll quickly see that the fly was tied and named by a superficial male.

saw some on a newly stocked stream.  

Fish weren't on them though we know they were there.

My buddy caught two on a phoebe.

I struck out on spinners of different color and style.