Did You Feed Your Goldfish Today?

Rate this topic

Steve in Mass

North Carolina man charged with animal cruelty for neglecting pet fish

A North Carolina man has been accused of animal cruelty after authorities found his Oscar fish living in squalid conditions, according to WECT. 

Michael Ray Hinson, 53, was arrested by New Hanover County police last week for allegedly failing to take care of his pet fish. Hinson, who was evicted from his Wilmington home last month, reportedly abandoned the 6-inch-long fish in a dirty tank. Deputies from the police department's civil unit discovered the sea critter three days after Hinson permanently left the house. 

Due to poor water quality and malnutrition, the fish was found with 15 holes in its head, NBC News notes. It survived by eating cockroaches that fell into its tank. Authorities brought it to The Fish Room, a local pet fish shop, where the fish is currently being treated. 

"When this fish came in, he was in pretty bad shape," Ethan Lane, a store employee, told WECT. "Hole in the head is a parasite that starts in the intestines and works from the inside out, slowly killing the fish." 

From what I heard on the radio this morning on this story, he is being held on $3000 bail..........

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

3 mins ago, 99ways2die said:

WTLW?
From yesterday's news:

:howdy:

Petism is the worst! that poor fish had to suffer further indignities. :( 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

I think I treat the goldfish in my pond too well.  This guy was started from an egg from a female in a bag of feeders from petco. There were about 15 more like that left until a heron found my pond this winter and plucked all but three, I hope he choked on them.

goldie1.JPG.f7b19e615e96496bfc1e53c5521c3594.JPGgoldie2.JPG.1c33b78615eb12eabcb12b24e12ef7cc.JPG

18 hours ago, cartopper said:

I fed my big fraternity brother, after pledging, his pet oscar.  Killed it, filleted it, cooked it and served it with tarter sauce on a ciabatta roll.  The guy was a dick. 

Ciabatta was a nice touch :th: