Casual surf fishing help - Rehoboth/Dewey

Rate this topic

cwb124

Third week of June is sort of tough, but it’s on the cusp of summer fishing. In summer you can catch a bunch of (kingfish/whiting/roundhead/sea mullet) once the water hits summer temps.

I have been entertaining kids for years with a top/bottom rig tied with size 2 octopus hook and a disk or bank sinker. Baited with fishbites bloodworm. Cast out as far as you  can. Leave it. Wait. Reel in 5-10 cranks. Wait... repeat all the way to your feet. if nothing move up or down the beach and try again. 

Pic is from the area of Dagsworthy St. in Dewey beach, PA.  probably 1st week of July. Given your timeframe, the best form of entertainment for kids is certainly crabbing.

6D62A869-2E98-4A88-B587-3814E7FED333.jpeg

The fish are someplace else, unless your somplace else; in which case they are somplace elser.

Light equipment for me would be a Carolina rig tipped off with squid.

Cut in what ever shape your heart desires. You can purchase it in strips.

You can trim the strips. What you have left over can be froze and reused.

You can put a couple in a ziplock bag with a little menhaden oil.

Edited by SandSpike1

Overalls With Suspenders

• 2 weeks later...

I use 11’ ft Tica TC3 Dolphin with a big circle hook. Then throw out some 10 and 9 footers with smaller hooks. I’ve been getting blues, 20-25” stripers, lots of Dogfish and of course skates. Got hit hard yesterday on bloodworms but I usually just use fresh bunker. This is all at Caoe Henlooen State park, driving on. If you want the kids to have fun I suggest the pier in the state park, got blues there too. If you go at low tide you can put em to work digging clams as long as they get there before Asian women lol