mwhitt80

Tenkara Fishing

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I ordered my first tenkara kit yesterday. Nothing fancy just a kit from tenkara rod co on sale.

It looks fun and seems like fly fishing with a bream buster. Only better, after 36 years using a bream buster I can pretty definitively say they aren't ideal for casting or pitching.

Any tips?

4 hours ago, mwhitt80 said:

I ordered my first tenkara kit yesterday. Nothing fancy just a kit from tenkara rod co on sale.

It looks fun and seems like fly fishing with a bream buster. Only better, after 36 years using a bream buster I can pretty definitively say they aren't ideal for casting or pitching.

Any tips?

Most of my small stream fishing these days is with a tenkara rod, and even my fishing-averse kids love pulling sunfish and small bass out of a local pond we go to when the weather's nice.

The simplicity and ease of transport can't be beat.

As far as tips: the casting stroke is different (backcasts are more like "upcasts") and you have to be very careful not to try to pull snags from trees and bushes the way you would w/ a western fly rod. Other that that, go have fun!

The TenkaraBum website has a TON of how-to info on patterns , techniques and history. 

Tenkara rods are are tougher than many people give them credit for. I have caught 18” trout and smallmouth on mine. 

16 hours ago, VeeRay56 said:

The TenkaraBum website has a TON of how-to info on patterns , techniques and history. 

Tenkara rods are are tougher than many people give them credit for. I have caught 18” trout and smallmouth on mine. 

I have a couple of Badger UNCs, and I'll be bringing one to the Keys next week in case my kids want to try their hand. There are people who land small snook on those rods!

I'm using mine more and more, just so darn easy and simple.  My 12 footer is the go-to, but I just got a 9' that's cool on tiny streams.  It took me a bit to get used to not having all the extra line, but heck, a 12' tenkara gives you 30' or so of reach, and that's all I usually need.  Yup, have fun with it.

I picked up a rod from Dragontail Tenkara a few weeks ago. I've had more fun fishing with it  for small brook trout in the mountains than I've had in years. Wish I had picked up on sooner.

56290995_10157218372904540_3088300232803352576_n.jpg