Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MagDarter

Public Service Announcement for RB Kayakers

10 posts in this topic

If you’re new to kayak fishing I would suggest that you don’t fish RB in an east wind unless you have a sweet spot that gives you shelter.  

The bay can get really dangerous in an east wind.  

If you have a difference in opinion would love to hear your thoughts.  

Good luck and be safe out there.  

35 mins ago, coldclam said:

Crazy part is that it doesn't even take much of an east wind to get sloppy. 

Yep, a lot of people learn that the hard way. I’ve seen that bay flip and It can get dangerous real fast.

Learned that painful lesson last year.   Went out Tuesday night - it was calm, the bay flat, 70 degrees and wearing shorts.  But within a half-hour, the ENE wind kicked in with temps dropping over 10 degrees and the bay got too sloppy for my liking.  I packed up and headed home after waiting an hour.  

Thats due to the fetch.  If you have a E wind it is blowning across alot of water before they reach the open entrance to the bay and just keep right on rocking in.

Any wind there is challenging but it has the most chance to build up when its E or ENE.

I remember a tip Shipwreck told me while fishing from the surf on a black Friday 2 years back.  If you hear your line start to sing it's time to head in.  My 1st outing on the RB was only last Sun.  Afternoon east kicked up white caps.  I spun it around and headed back to the cove I launched from.  And had plenty of fish in there which was a real nice + 

Yesterday AM was a prime example. I had planned to launch mid-bay but didn't like the look of it, even as others were launching. I left and went way in the back where it was somewhat more sheltered from the NE breeze. I fished there for 3+ hours then the wind went to ENE and the tide started to get funneled into the river and I knew it was time for me to head in. Not particularly "dangerous", no whitecaps, just more "push" from wind, waves and water than I wanted to deal with. I did hear that someone did flip and needed help to get to shore.

There are only a few spots on the bay that shelter you from an E or NE wind. The next best option is Sandy Hook bay where you are completely protected.