hipkvw

Florida Keys DIY Questions

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Ive been to the Keys 3 times and towed my boat there. I am flying this time. Staying at Bud and Marys I have a few questions maybe some of you guys can help me with. Have not been there in 10 years.

* Looking for easily accessible flats for Bonefish...maybe a shot at Permit. I was thinking Bahia Honda??

* All I see are larger boats. I want to rent a 16-18 skiff. Any ideas? Something cheaper. I dont need a Hewes.

* Id like to get out for Mahi on the fly. Any suggestions for boats? Open boats?

Thanks for any advice

Posted (edited) · Report post

Look in the thread around January 29th 2019 and Check this old article out which I posted there Its an attachment and a pdf file and it might have some good information. Sorry first page is upside down but click on it and reader has a view menu on top left where you can rotate or a computer jock can chime in on how to permanently rotate and save image

keys0001.pdf

Edited by flyrad10
Change date

Thanks....printed it out. I saw the boats on Robbies. Are all boats just $295 and up? I was looking for like $100 a day Carolina Skiff or something? Haha

36 mins ago, flyrad10 said:

Look in the thread around January 29th 2019 and Check this old article out which I posted there Its an attachment and a pdf file and it might have some good information. Sorry first page is upside down but click on it and reader has a view menu on top left where you can rotate or a computer jock can chime in on how to permanently rotate and save image

keys0001.pdf

Awesome article. Thank you so much!

You may want to call Bahia Honda SP before you go there.

large parts of the park are off limits due to hurricane damage. 

4 hours ago, DAQ said:

You may want to call Bahia Honda SP before you go there.

large parts of the park are off limits due to hurricane damage. 

Yeah. I am going w/ my kids next week as well, and I'm very disappointed that Sandspur Beach is still closed, and as of a month or so ago I was told by a park employee that it will likely be a year or two still before it reopens.

That said, Calusa beach is open, and I gather they're letting people access the ocean side on that end as well. And, fishing-wise, I've generally had better luck at Long Key and Curry Hammock.

Bahia Honda to me is just synonymous w/ natural beauty, and that's all about Sandspur Beach.

Heading down this week too, good luck to all as it looks like SOL will be well represented. I usually bring my pathfinder, but will have my Inflatable sup instead this time. Wish I had some tips, but this will be new turf for me as well....

as far as dolphin fishing goes I would call bud and mary's and fish with one of their boats.  rentals for bonefishing in the keys are tough.  You might want to try a stand up paddle board.

8 hours ago, boatdrinks said:

as far as dolphin fishing goes I would call bud and mary's and fish with one of their boats.  rentals for bonefishing in the keys are tough.  You might want to try a stand up paddle board.

Thats whonwe went with years back. Im actually staying there. 

You should own a copy of "Do it Yourself Bonefishing" by Rod Hamilton.  I have fished the keys on foot on the DIY program 5 times and the book gives good insight into some spots that I have not yet checked out.  Dying to get back down there.  Am curious about the hurrricane damage-please post a report when you get back!!

Good luck and tight lines!

Best, Chris

The Highway Flat at MM 74 and the Long Key State Park flats are the most accessible.  If tides are low the Craig Key oceanside flat is doable, but ya gotta slog a couple hundred feet through some muck to get to the hard outer flat.  Permit, the Duck Key flats, but you 'll need a kayak to get out to them.  Good luck, Islamorada/ Matecumbe is such a great area.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’d recommend an inflatable paddleboard too. Makes life real easy. Flats under the weather balloon on Cudjoe Key were my favorite but it depends on wind direction. The best flat is the one with visibility.

Edited by BNickW

I just got back from Islamorada yesterday.  I waded the flat at mile marker 74. Great access and lot of patches of grass and sand.  I saw two bonefish but the chop from the 20 mph winds the three days I was there made sight fishing tough.  Basically, I couldn't make out anything on the bottom unless I was right on top of it.  The flat at Bahia Honda looked the same, I would definitely give that a shot as well.  Hopefully you can find a boat and get out to more secluded areas.  Good luck!