Kent I

Overhead vs Hatteras vs OTG

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

So, having had lessons in both the OTG and Hatteras cast, I find that I can cast just as far with an overhead cast. I guess that this is because I'm an old, skinny guy, but may also be a result of technique. I'm currently casting around 300' with an 11' Paraflex, and would like to get out to 450'. Any suggestions or observations would be greatly appreciated.

It would help us a lot if you’d give us a bit more information about your set up. Particularly your rod details and reel used, line used, style of release (mechanical assist, finger with/without glove, etc). Type of bait you fish with, i.e. artificial (plugs, tins, 8 & bait, etc.). Assuming you are surf fishing from the beach. Any video would help also. Anything else you can share will help these geniuses help you!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm using an Abu 6500 CT Mag Elite spooled up with 18# Sakuma mono on an 11' Star Paraflex. On the practice field I use a 5 oz trolling sinker, which is pretty aerodynamic, or the same weight bell sinker. 

Edited by Kent I
Typo

Kent,

If you could describe how you set up for the OTG ie feet position, sinker-drop, rod position it would help.

A little sketch along the lines of the attached (not mine; its from one of John Holden's articles) might make it clear, I am not suggesting you use this set up, its just an example of what I am referring to

If you  get set up a camera / phone on a tripod and take a video of yourself casting it would allow better understanding of what you are doing.

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 07.28.47.png

There are probably too many YouTube videos on this, and most are not slowed down making it difficult to follow.

Edited by TimS
Please don’t send folks to other sites when they ask a question here - thanks.

Actually, I've watched a number of videos, read John Holden's book, and taken a lesson from Tommy Farmer (which doubled my casting distance when I had time on the casting field to work out what I'd learned). Still, the overhead cast gives me detectably more velocity, judging from the sound of the reel. Maybe it's just the simplicity...hold one arm straight overhead and crank down with the other. In any case, I'll continue with all three and see what happens. 

13 hours ago, Kent I said:

Actually, I've watched a number of videos, read John Holden's book, and taken a lesson from Tommy Farmer (which doubled my casting distance when I had time on the casting field to work out what I'd learned). Still, the overhead cast gives me detectably more velocity, judging from the sound of the reel. Maybe it's just the simplicity...hold one arm straight overhead and crank down with the other. In any case, I'll continue with all three and see what happens. 

I find it hard to believe that unwinding your body, as other casts do, doesn't add more distance.

Also, I tried posting a link to a URL (unfortunately, on another site, which is prohibited - my apologies to Admin.) that IMHO does a very good job of explaining how the sinker position before casting dramatically effects rod loading.

Edited by Hanginon

This is a fun topic. I'll back swing more at angle with 6 ounces

than with 8 ounces. I'll do this to better preload the rod and I'm

mainly doing this when there's a gusting prevailing wind.

In A strong head wind I'm fishing eight and punching through

the conditions. On a trade wind, it's you tell me. :)

Edited by SandSpike1

Kent,

It sound like you need to focus on the fundamentals.

• Footwork (foundation for success)

• Body (the engine that powers the cast)

• Arms (get them out and away from your body and KEEP them out until punch/pull)

• Acceleration (start slow, accelerate through the arc and finish with a burst of power and speed late)

• 45 degrees (look UP at your target 45 degrees in the sky)

The more rotation you add while maintaining focus on the fundamentals should provide more distance. A lot of times as casters add more rotation they lose focus on the target and the casts tend to fly right. The most common flaw is to allow your arms to collapse in during the powerstroke. Keep them extended until punch/pull.

Hope this helps!!

Tommy

Thanks for all the help. It appears that my setup and initial moves are good, but my power stroke at the end isn't working. I'm currently on a 6 week road trip, fishing my way around the Gulf coast, across FL and up the Atlantic coast home to MD, so I'm getting in a lot of casting but no practice. When I get home I'll get my wife to do some videos and see what I'm actually doing (we have a public driving range close by which is great for casting when the golfers are otherwise occupied). We did the video thing when I was learning some advanced kayak rolls, and it made a huge difference. I frequently found that What I thought I was doing was completely different from what I was really doing. No doubt this will turn out to be the same.

If you like a casting technique with a name, I like the Brighton cast which is essentially an overhead cast. I like it because I just need to do slight modifications to what I have been doing for years instead of relearning everything like the Pendulum cast, etc..

These are some no name casts that I am studying right now. I like Terry Edmonds because he casts far with a spinning reel. 

Edited by Draekon
typos

On 4/13/2019 at 7:54 PM, Kent I said:

If you are comfortable with overhead cast, try making that straight arm to be your pull arm and drop the push arm to your shoulder. That way you get that push and pull technique that Tommy was talking about. If that doesn’t help, add your knees and bend them both during power stroke. The idea is to use your body weight much like the fulcrum catapult.