KnewBee

Goose update

6 posts in this topic

Ok, five days ago, I had my goose encounter.

Today, went back to that same launch and creek to fish for bass.    When I launched, there were some people bank fishing nearby and there was a goose near them.   As soon as I launched, the goose came swimming along toward me and saying "hello" in his own goose language.   He came right along side and hung there for the next two hours,   AGAIN!    We hung out, I caught some bass, he ate some whatever when he would bottom up, and so it went until I recovered.    After recovering, I got in the car and checked phone.  Just before I pulled away, I looked around and he was right near the drivers door.   I said goodbye and slowly started to drive away as he waddled/ran behind the car!   

I get home and discuss with spouse.   She does the interweb search thing and latches on to "Imprinting" which is a thing with ducks and geese.   They will "imprint" with a human if that is what they encounter as a newborn.  Basically, latch onto a human.   Thing is, this is an adult, so unless he (or she) "imprinted" at some time in the past, the theory doesn't hold.   Been going to this launch for years and never seen him before, so unless he transplanted and has some "imprinting" issues, it just doesn't make sense.  UNLESS, this goose had "imprinted" with a kayaker who had a yellow Hobie Outback back in the day?

Anyway.   It was nice having him nearby.  Caught three bass and it was a beautiful evening.   We bonded.    I never had anything for him and never offered any food.   He was not interested in my swim senko or the bass I caught.   Once again, when I spoke to him, he would come up real close and make some goose sounds but I couldn't understand what he was saying as I don't speak goose.

Weird!  Me and my shadow, taking the bass road....

shadow.jpg

bass.jpg

bass n goose.jpg

launch.jpg

time 2 go.jpg

Possibly , but it's more than likely that he sees you as a food source ... probably is regularly fed (or was) by other yakkers ... IMO

1 hour ago, Africaster said:

Possibly , but it's more than likely that he sees you as a food source ... probably is regularly fed (or was) by other yakkers ... IMO

I rarely ever see any other yaks in that area, or geese for that matter.   Bunch of john boats and bank fishermen, but never any yaks.   For the two times and near five hours we hung out, I never fed him anything.  

You need to visit with the goose daily, and fulfill your duties as a parent, or pay child support.

This abandonment of parental duties is a major cause of our society's problems today.

Nature is weird sometimes.

looking more into "imprinting", seems ducks and geese that do this behavior are often outcast by their own kind and become sort of misfits.

Birds of a feather....