Let's Talk Bass Jigs

Matt7082

I fished a gnarly lay down last week. There are always a few big fish on it year round, and they will almost always bite. They were slamming the jig when I’d get it stuck on a limb and shake it. Once it shook free they’d smash it every time. Sadly, I go about 1 for 10 on landing fish on this lay downwind this day was no different from the rest. I hooked three fish in the 5lb range and didn’t land any of them. I hook them almost every time, but almost always get hung in the wood and pull the hook of break off. I wonder how many fish haunt that tree with jigs hanging out of their mouths. 

18 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

I fished a gnarly lay down last week. There are always a few big fish on it year round, and they will almost always bite. They were slamming the jig when I’d get it stuck on a limb and shake it. Once it shook free they’d smash it every time. Sadly, I go about 1 for 10 on landing fish on this lay downwind this day was no different from the rest. I hooked three fish in the 5lb range and didn’t land any of them. I hook them almost every time, but almost always get hung in the wood and pull the hook of break off. I wonder how many fish haunt that tree with jigs hanging out of their mouths. 

Try a flipping rod with heavy mono or flurocarbon line.  No braid.  Lock your drag. Don't give it 1 inch after you set the hook. Not 1 inch. 

18 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

Matt, what type of rod, line & jig are you using? Sounds like either your hooks are not sharp, and thus not penetrating, or your rod & line setup is not heavy enough to get a good hook set. 

No one likes to be behind the big truck, but it's better than being under it! 

8 hours ago, tidewaterfly said:

Matt, what type of rod, line & jig are you using? Sounds like either your hooks are not sharp, and thus not penetrating, or your rod & line setup is not heavy enough to get a good hook set. 

7’ heavy fast, with 50lb braid and typically a 20lb flouro leader. I know I can ditch the leader and probably still get bit, but I’m hesitant because the water has been ultra clear this year. The other problem is that I fish from a kayak. The boat moves so easily. Even just the hookset gets the boat in motion pretty good. Once the fish is wrapped around a limb, I wind up winching the boat right into the cover but the fish shakes the hook before I can wrestle it out of the junk. Next time I fish here, I plan to bring another rod, same setup, and going straight to 50lb braid with no leader. 

OK, that's plenty stout then! The yak moving so much doesn't help that's for sure. I don't use leaders at all, and use 50 or 65 lb hi vis yellow braid. But, I'm fishing from a Gheenoe or a 16' jon boat and even though they move some, not like a yak might. I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually. 

No one likes to be behind the big truck, but it's better than being under it! 

Braid is making the situation worst in this situation. It has no abrasion resistance and cuttiing into and hanging up on every single branch sticking out. If you can't use brute force, try guiding the fish out of the nasty stuff before setting the hook. A trick by charlie brewer. Just keep reeling slowly when you feel a bite. Chances are that fish will continue to follow the bait continue to chew on it. Even if the fish dropped the bait it's not yet spooked, you still have chance for do over.

On 6/4/2019 at 9:33 PM, Matt7082 said:

7’ heavy fast, with 50lb braid and typically a 20lb flouro leader. I know I can ditch the leader and probably still get bit, but I’m hesitant because the water has been ultra clear this year. The other problem is that I fish from a kayak. The boat moves so easily. Even just the hookset gets the boat in motion pretty good. Once the fish is wrapped around a limb, I wind up winching the boat right into the cover but the fish shakes the hook before I can wrestle it out of the junk. Next time I fish here, I plan to bring another rod, same setup, and going straight to 50lb braid with no leader. 

a lot of guys who go straight braid = tie direct ( I don't ) use a black sharpie pen about 18 " to the jig 

If it has fins i want to catch it 

• 8 months later...

Getting ready to dust off the old jig stick real soon. Maybe even this weekend. I moved from VA to RI in November, and I haven’t fished yet. I’ve been waiting for these jig trailers to become available for over a year. This is the Motion Fishing Penny Craw. It’s the perfect size and perfect action for for most jigs, and for most conditions. I bought a few bags of them right before I moved but haven’t had a chance to try them yet. Looking forward to getting them wet soon. 

0DBB8553-93E1-4024-9EB9-CFC4644D4484.jpeg

On 4/13/2019 at 11:49 PM, Slacker said:

That is the only color jig that I use.  I will sometimes use a white trailer.  That jig accounted for this season's first fish.

JIG.jpg.7e49593a826699e480d911d564b1f711.jpg

Looks like you have a WS Tarpon there. Nice boat.

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

On 2/18/2020 at 4:19 PM, Matt7082 said:

Getting ready to dust off the old jig stick real soon. Maybe even this weekend. I moved from VA to RI in November, and I haven’t fished yet. I’ve been waiting for these jig trailers to become available for over a year. This is the Motion Fishing Penny Craw. It’s the perfect size and perfect action for for most jigs, and for most conditions. I bought a few bags of them right before I moved but haven’t had a chance to try them yet. Looking forward to getting them wet soon. 

0DBB8553-93E1-4024-9EB9-CFC4644D4484.jpeg

I bought a bunch of their jigs recently, great quality and the staff is great. Caught a 7.5 lb snakehead on the fry chaser model and it came out unscathed.

80% off of SA Face Shields

Coupon Code: RCMD80

6 hours ago, rcjoutdoors said:

I bought a bunch of their jigs recently, great quality and the staff is great. Caught a 7.5 lb snakehead on the fry chaser model and it came out unscathed.

They do make nice jigs. I can’t believe it didn’t get torn up my the snakehead. They are tackle busters for sure. I had one straighten out an Owner Beast hook on me once.