Matt7082

Let's Talk Bass Jigs

78 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I saw a few folks talking about fishing jigs in the "reports" thread recently. I have been fishing jigs for a few years now, and only this winter/spring have I become more in tune with them, and more confident. I'd pick a fish or two here and there up until now. I am no pro, in fact, FARRRRRR from it! But I'd like to share my experiences, and hear yours as well.

The two most important things I've learned to consider, are the head design, and the rate of fall.

The head design is huge for me. My lakes a covered in pond weed and slimy green algea. No matter what I throw, it gets all gunked up with debris. I've found a couple of head designs to minimize this, which in turn allow me to spend more time fishing than picking crap off my jig. Generally, a grass jig is a narrow shape, with a recessed line tie. Also the old Arkie style head has been working pretty well. Once I figured that out, I have been far more willing to spend time pitching jigs. No hard bottom here, so I don't really have any need for football jigs.

Rate of fall. To me, this is everything. Every single jig bite I've ever had, came on the initial fall, or just a second or two after it settled on bottom. I generally choose RoF based on water temps, which are relative to every body of water. On my lake, 55 and lower, I am trying for the slowest RoF I can get. 56 degrees to about 65, I am looking for a RoF of about 1-1.5ft per second. When the temps get into the 70's and the spawn is complete, I noticed that I get more bites on a heavier jig with fast fall, like 2-3ft per second. I'll try to make small adjustments on the fly which will change the RoF and action by changing the trailer. bigger, bulky trailers will slow the RoF. So will trailers with flapping appendages. Some jigs come with bulky skirts of silicone AND living rubber. These will make a huge difference in slowing the fall as well.

I try to be as simple as possible. I have two jig styles that I like, in two sizes (3/8oz and 1/2oz), and two colors (black-blue, and some sort of green). I generally use four trailer styles; a chunk, a 3" craw, and a Rage Menace or Rage Structure bug (both have large flapping appendages). Try a few jigs. Stick with the one that you hang up with the least. Try a couple different style trailers. Be patient. It's like riding a bike...once you get it, you GET IT!

What are some of your tips/advice on jig fishing?

Edited by Matt7082

You tube has some nice video’s 

pig and jig.   They bounce them off the bottom   Use a big tail and a weedless hook?   

I fish jigs 95% of the time. I throw jig all under 1/4 oz. Mostly 1/8 and 3/16 oz. When I add a trailer to the jig, it weighs in at 3/8 oz, so there is definitely no problem casting it. Since the jigs I throw are so light, I get many hits on the fall as well. My choice of trailers are Netbait Paca Chunk Seniors in any color. I do very well with this setup.

I hate jigs!

Kid loves em.

On a typical outing to the right lake (cypress trees), he and I will end up with very similar catch numbers and size, but I will be throwing keel weighted hook (VMC) and some sorta craw, bug, or worm.    Yep, on the fall or nothing at all (usually).  

When the spawn is over and the grass comes up thick, weightless worm, fluke of Johnson silver minnow.    A jig would gather eight lbs of grass/weed.

That said, Matt gets em!

I don't have an answer for slimy green algea. I usually stay away from those as are the fish. If you are fishing in and around weeds, consider using straight braid, find the coarsest braid out there, for me, it's the FX2 braid. It will slice through thick weeds like butter. You'll need a stout setup for this. No wimpy medium or medium heavy rod and no leader.  For grass jigs, pick one with a stout flipping hook, line tie has to be inline with the hook point. Like the grassmaster jig.  With the proper setup, you should be able to penetrate the thickest weed clump and rip it out cleanly. I fish up to 1-1/4oz jig with a flipping rod in the summer for those thick mats, my favorite way of fishing.

when you use this thick braid ( 40 lb main line  ?) what do you use for a leader. do you loose the lures in the weeds?  What lb leader are you using? 

No leader, that's the one of the main point. Don't need it and don't want it. People have weeds on their line because they have leader on. Leader can't slice through vegetation. Even a short leader will defeat the purpose of having a braided line in the 1st place.

What size braid?  Can they see it?  Everyone talks about floro and thin leaders so that the fish don't  seat?    

I love fishing jigs. They are definitely a big fish bait. As Matt said, head design is everything, and probably 90% of the reason why people get frustrated, and give up on them. The right head will come through vegetation, dense cover, or even a rocky bottom with ease with the right finesse. Do a little reading or research as there are endless videos on the subject. Check out TacticalBassin on YouTube, very informative channel. They cover all aspects of bass fishing in depth, and are a great source of info.

I love Dirty Jigs Flipping jigs, as the have a very stout hook, for the heavy braid I fish. I like 50# Suffix. They have a great finish on the head that is very durable, and excellent rubber. My trailers are always some form of plastic, I really like the Reaction Innovations Sweet Beaver. 

No leader for me either, I tie direct and never worry about them seeing my line, unless I’m fishing super gin clear water, or for smallmouth. 

I also don’t use a leader with braid when I’m using a jig. Actually, I don’t use one in general on my baitcaster with braid, although I probably should when using trebles that could tangle in the line and get cut. 

I typically use a floro leader of 15-20lb test. I fish from a kayak, so the leader is easier to break than the braid. Sometimes I just pull myself around trying to break my line which is mainly why I use a leader. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

My buddy turned me onto swimjigs last week. I gave them a half-hearted try before but didn’t stick with them. He made me a believer. Stuck a few good fish with them recently. My grass jigs double as a good swimjigs, and the craw trailer has been working really well, so o can flip them at cover and fish the slow, or cast and swim them. Two baits in one...Convenient! 

Edited by Matt7082