Regional Pricing Differences Discussion

Rate this topic

Ben Lippen

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 7:19 PM, nightfighter said:

Yesterday's invoice; 2x4x8 KD WSPF J-GRADE   $8.99 my cost as contractor with my 10% discount applied...

$5 ???? What grade? Forget 3. Been years since we could do estimates at $3.85 per stud.

0A9829C3-BAF0-4E59-8867-7D9EDA924427.jpeg.755007c0f63a49ef6452a115e07eef63.jpeg

Granted, it’s not like 84 where it’s quick picking and you’re on the road, your at the stack eyeing them up for a couple minutes before you have a dozen straight boards

• 2 months later...
On 9/5/2021 at 11:20 AM, chessie_yaker said:

0A9829C3-BAF0-4E59-8867-7D9EDA924427.jpeg.755007c0f63a49ef6452a115e07eef63.jpeg

Granted, it’s not like 84 where it’s quick picking and you’re on the road, your at the stack eyeing them up for a couple minutes before you have a dozen straight boards

That stud rite there you show are the biggest pieces of garbage if you and find one thats not cracked , so crooked you cant build with those

• 1 year later...

Just found a homeys receipt from 4-11-2022 for 10 - 2 x 6 x 10' DF...

$15.62 each. $166.55 w/tax

Today they are $8.65 . $92.55 w/tax

Not where they were, and will ever be again... But  seven plus months equals a   $74.00  difference .. It still hurts to think we were paying that much... 

• 2 weeks later...

I was recently happily surprised when buying material to repair my bulkhead. The price was down considerably from my last purchase. Treated 6X6 X10' $ was almost cut in half. Galvanized hardware, still mucho $$. 

Back to pricing for contractors: I bought my current house in '89 when market was in the toilet and was one short step away from foreclosure. Still a reach for a NYC construction worker but we went for it. I have had contractors look at my house for work and all they see is a nice house on the water in the Hamptons. Their eyeballs all show $$$$ signs and give me nutso ###s, hit the road. I now have a plumber, electrician, carpenter and a few others that make a living without looking for a killing. 

On 8/18/2021 at 7:19 PM, nightfighter said:

Yesterday's invoice; 2x4x8 KD WSPF J-GRADE   $8.99 my cost as contractor with my 10% discount applied...

$5 ???? What grade? Forget 3. Been years since we could do estimates at $3.85 per stud.

Today's price was $7.11

Primed Finger jointed 2 1/2 colonial casing was $.95/LF. Adds up fast trimming out three doors today.

11 hours ago, nightfighter said:

Primed Finger jointed 2 1/2 colonial casing was $.95/LF. Adds up fast trimming out three doors today.

Lol, I paid $.98/LF for 300 some odd feet of just that casing yesterday at the yard and was bitchin about it. My guy at the counter took my card and handed me a donut.  :laugh:   :laugh: 

• 3 months later...

Primed clear red cedar clapboard....not the finger jointed stuff.....$3.75  per lin ft......$11.25 to cover a square foot........$450 for ten/ twelve foot pieces....insane

I sided my house with it 46 years ago and  need to replace a few

51 mins ago, Rmarsh said:

Primed clear red cedar clapboard....not the finger jointed stuff.....$3.75  per lin ft......$11.25 to cover a square foot........$450 for ten/ twelve foot pieces....insane

I sided my house with it 46 years ago and  need to replace a few

The fj stuff is better. I’ve sided a ton of houses with it. Jmo though. 

8 mins ago, gray gables said:

The fj stuff is better. I’ve sided a ton of houses with it. Jmo though. 

?????   Really ????? 

I guess I am too old school always having the thought that FJ was crap.     Maybe I just had a bad run,  but I do remember it falling apart at the joint.   This was years ago and I've stayed away from it since.

7 mins ago, DMacLeod said:

?????   Really ????? 

I guess I am too old school always having the thought that FJ was crap.     Maybe I just had a bad run,  but I do remember it falling apart at the joint.   This was years ago and I've stayed away from it since.

A lot of houses I’ve sided. All done with a 5d rink shank stainless steel hand nails. 

11 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

?????   Really ????? 

I had the exact same thing happen on a job years ago. G.C. ordered it primed, and they sent that crap. Second day I brought a thing of glue, so I could put the crap back together on the wall.  Every fourth or fifth piece broke when ya picked it up correctly, lol. Only time I ever used that stuff.

1 min ago, Ben Lippen said:

I had the exact same thing happen on a job years ago. G.C. ordered it primed, and they sent that crap. Second day I brought a thing of glue, so I could put the crap back together on the wall.  Every fourth or fifth piece broke when ya picked it up correctly, lol. Only time I ever used that stuff.

Maybe the glue is better now.:shrug:  I still don't trust it.

18 mins ago, DMacLeod said:

Maybe the glue is better now.:shrug:  I still don't trust it.

Maybe it is. But damn sure the material is not what it used to be. Lol, like you and me :laugh:

Old growth, new growth. 

Back to Marsh's point though, When I started in the business PT was only for mudsill, deck frame and stringers. Everything else was always cedar. It was widely available and cheap. Shoot, we often wrapped the frame and stringers with 3/4, like we do now with pvc. Not to mention the cedar lattice.