bobber

fishing over spawning fish..... whaddya think?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Those Stripers had a long way to go from where they were to where they spawn.  

perhaps-   but when fish are unloading their gazz all over you, its time to make a decision....    

(and I like Elias' stuff-  I think he's a good guy and a good fisherman.    this is a philosophical discussion)

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, bobber said:

perhaps-   but when fish are unloading their gazz all over you, its time to make a decision....    

(and I like Elias' stuff-  I think he's a good guy and a good fisherman.    this is a philosophical discussion)

I know exactly where he was.   I was on the phone with him before and after.  And the discussions about spawning classes when and where...along with discussions pertaining to his time spent with fisheries biologists......

What you bring into question is part of the reason why he left after 4 days.   Instead of staying. 

My comment was basically bringing the perspective.....where do you draw the line......

Time......or place.

As an example.....I put in a crapton of time trying to break the smallmouth bass state record this season prior to 10 mins from now.  Because the cutoff is April 15th to June 15th.....Yet you can put them in a livewell....transport them across the lake.....and target them......

Yet stripers......ummmm.....kill kill kill.....except for lil tiny areas....and some little tiny areas...use hooks that have a bendier bend..

I think what is interesting.....and worth noting......speaking of gazz.......where are all the girls....He had a bunch of males gazzing on em over 40"

Edited by scoobydoo

On 4/11/2019 at 8:31 PM, Cascade said:

The C&R mortality in spawning and post spawning fish is more than double the % of other times.  Stay  away  from them.

Just curious, where did you read that? Every study I've read says that the highest C&R mortality on striped bass occurs during periods of warm water and hot air.

4 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Just curious, where did you read that? Every study I've read says that the highest C&R mortality on striped bass occurs during periods of warm water and hot air.

I har read this on a DEC study conducted in the Hudson River. They used penned SB and caught them using different methods. It should be easy to find because I'm not that good at it and I found it.

3 mins ago, Cascade said:

I har read this on a DEC study conducted in the Hudson River. They used penned SB and caught them using different methods. It should be easy to find because I'm not that good at it and I found it.

Yes I have read that study, maybe it was the way you worded it. I agree that the study indicated that C&R mortality was high on spawning fish, but I don't believe that it said it was more than double of any other time. Several studies have suggested that C&R mortality on striped bass in warm water and over 90 degree air temps approaches 100%.

1 min ago, MakoMike said:

Yes I have read that study, maybe it was the way you worded it. I agree that the study indicated that C&R mortality was high on spawning fish, but I don't believe that it said it was more than double of any other time. Several studies have suggested that C&R mortality on striped bass in warm water and over 90 degree air temps approaches 100%.

I have heard of PB's encouraging some to keep fish after their limit saying the are fishing for a "Boat Limit"

23 mins ago, Sandflee said:

I have heard of PB's encouraging some to keep fish after their limit saying the are fishing for a "Boat Limit"

Passing fish around if not everyone gets a limit on a party/charter boat is the norm, especially with striper.

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

I thought it said that it was 10% normally but up to 24% on breeing fish. My bad I guess. Thanks for info.

If you're targeting SB right now, you're not in the Hudson, it's a closed season there. We're targeting pre-spawn bass elsewhere and releasing them in good condition. Keeping prespawn males isn't going to ding the population. If there aren't over the spawning grounds, there aren't spawning. They don't spawn In the ocean. We caught 35 fish yesterday and took 4 pictures. Some we never even pulled out of the water. We kept 2 males, one apiece for the table. Half the fish we caught hit lures with whole bunkers still in their mouths and we're released with even their meals intact. I think they'll be fine...and nobody got gazzed.

On 4/14/2019 at 11:53 PM, scoobydoo said:

What you bring into question is part of the reason why he left after 4 days.   Instead of staying. 

My comment was basically bringing the perspective.....where do you draw the line......

Time......or place.

Yet stripers......ummmm.....kill kill kill.....except for lil tiny areas....and some little tiny areas...use hooks that have a bendier bend..

On 4/14/2019 at 11:53 PM, scoobydoo said:

thats what I was trying to get across......  how willing are people to leave a "great bite" if the fishing they're catching are spawning (or close enogh to spawning that they blow-their-load when landed....)?

the fishery is in the dumper right ow-  its time to make some tough choices