bobber

fishing over spawning fish..... whaddya think?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I've made my own decision about this in the past, but saw a youtube video last night where a well-known kayak guy was hammering away at fish that were in them midst of their reproduction cycle.   (several of them unloaded milt all over the guy....)  he RELEASED all of them quickly and safely, but I still feel like (especially now) the spawning areas should be closed for a few weeks to let the fish reproduce without outside interference..... even catch 'n release  should be stopped while they get it on.   

whats your thoughts?   I'm sure the upper range of the Hudson River sees a similar event and should also be considered for a temporary closure.  ideally, the closure dates should be flexible from year to year to allow for variations in weather/conditions etc.....

Good points for sure. A simple solution- No fishing until the all spawning rivers hit 65 degrees. That would insure that all fish spawn without any human influence.

its not that simple..... IMHO

people can still go fishing-  but when conditions for spawning are imminent, or when fish are dumping their jizzz all over you its time to give thme a break

(again-   IMHO)

I refuse to do it. On FW bass, the new fry can be decimated in the time it takes to reel him in, take a look and unhook him before putting it back in the water.

I think bass tournaments should be delayed until the  beds are abandoned.

7 mins ago, pakalolo said:

MAY  15  OPENING NO C&R OUT OF SEASON COAST WIDE.

Also, especially include rivers/ estuaries

4 hours ago, Stonesipher said:

I refuse to do it. On FW bass, the new fry can be decimated in the time it takes to reel him in, take a look and unhook him before putting it back in the water.

I think bass tournaments should be delayed until the  beds are abandoned.

If it was a problem don't you think lakes would suffer from it?  FW bass are very far from being in trouble, noone eats them. Speaking for my state (CT), and there are a crap ton of laregmouth bass here, no amount of bed fishing is going to hurt the population. Striper are a different story, they don't spawn where I live, and most of my striper fishing is done in the summer and fall so I don't know much about it.

Demanding C-N-R from Hudson River fishermen during a 6-8 week season is really an empty gesture because it paces an arbitrary premium on fish in one location over another. 

Stripers aren't largemouth. There is almost nothing their spawning behaviors have in common. 

While largemouth bass are homebodies, with a smaller male starving himself to protect the home while the larger female hovers nearby to provide constructive criticism, stripers are hedonists, whimsically spreading their seed to the winds before dashing forward to new adventures. 

You won't catch a female bass while she is spawning. Don't worry about it. If it is not obvious, there are books in the library that will help you with pictures. 

You are unlikely to catch a male bass while spawning. They are also thinking about something else. See above. 

Just because you are covered in male splooge does not mean the fish was spawning. The testes are well developed several weeks before the spawn and they leak the whole time. I generally have white spots on my waders well before St Patrick's Day. 

Stripers are very good at spawning. They release lots of eggs and have an 80% fertility rate. The success of a spawn is not related to the spawn itself. Year in and year out, they get the job done. It also doesn't matter if relatively fewer eggs are produced any given year.

In a stressed population, more females will spawn, but not all females spawn and not all females release all their eggs. There is slack in the system. 

Once released, the next 3-7 days will determine the success of the spawn and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. There are simply too many tumblers on the slot machine. 

So, from the standpoint of successful recruitment, it doesn't matter that much what time of the year you kill a fish. What does change when you kill a fish is the number of fish available for you to fish for tomorrow. Ultimately, of course, if we repeatedly attrit stripers beyond their replacement rate, we will cause a collapse of the population. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

These guys are on my backyard in may.....

Some states ban fishing in a small area where they spawn.  Last bit if river from the damain down to a specific spot like a bridge.  Most spawn on last couple of miles.  Seen them spawn before.

I let them be and watch from a safe distance away from my prop.

Edited by salt deficient

IF , big IF  the bass are in big trouble shut down ALL targeting of bass intilnthecspawnbis over and they have spread out   Common sense!! 

I fish their trip up the hudson.

Those who fish during spawning itself and are successful fish below the spawning ontop.  Live herring.  I could see an eel rig be good.

I got a rowboat with an outboard.  I have once needed to row out of the 70s key party.........

Right when they spawn, I hit freshwater.  I know they're tough to catch going back to the ocean after spawning.  They're high tailing it back.

On 4/10/2019 at 1:04 PM, cheech said:

Good points for sure. A simple solution- No fishing until the all spawning rivers hit 65 degrees. That would insure that all fish spawn without any human influence.

65 degrees! are you kidding they might get that high in August!

On 4/10/2019 at 0:53 PM, bobber said:

I've made my own decision about this in the past, but saw a youtube video last night where a well-known kayak guy was hammering away at fish that were in them midst of their reproduction cycle.   (several of them unloaded milt all over the guy....)  he RELEASED all of them quickly and safely, but I still feel like (especially now) the spawning areas should be closed for a few weeks to let the fish reproduce without outside interference..... even catch 'n release  should be stopped while they get it on.   

whats your thoughts?   I'm sure the upper range of the Hudson River sees a similar event and should also be considered for a temporary closure.  ideally, the closure dates should be flexible from year to year to allow for variations in weather/conditions etc.....

I totally agree with you. Spawning fish should be left alone.

Some fishermen actually target spawning fish so they can get a higher score weight wise. And they brag about it too. I've even heard some freshwater fishermen call this "bed raping". What a shame....

In the same way that a bird nest should not be disturbed, a fish on it's nest shouldn't be disturbed either. Any fish in it's spawning state should be left alone.

On 4/10/2019 at 0:53 PM, bobber said:

Those Stripers had a long way to go from where they were to where they spawn.