adams54

What do you say to guys keeping pre-spawn breeder females

Rate this topic

213 posts in this topic

37 mins ago, TimS said:

That's silly...by that measure nobody that fishes should have any opinion on conservation or healthy stocks or proper release measures - they should just stop fishing. It's like saying "if you care about the fish stop fishing" :kook:

TimS

its not, ..the reason they claim (hudson river) that they catch/keep big breeders is because they never have the opportunity to catch anything large other than the small window they have..:read: wouldnt it be best to let them breed and take a drive at some point later in the year

16 mins ago, TimS said:

Kinda misleading to put "100% lead to some of them not surviving" - what percent don't survive? Mortality in the cooler spring waters is LESS than in the hot summer water...so we can pretty safely expect mortality to be LESS than the 9% average.  100% of the ones you put in a cooler or leave on the mud to bake in the sun do not survive.  Sorry, I don't see any hypocrisy in releasing big egg laden females while explaining to people why those females are so important.

TimS

it is not misleading at all if a guy is targeting breeders even with catch and release some are not going to survive that is a fact-my opinion is to have any mortality rate is too high the way our fishery currently is. I think folks should not target these fish at all to keep  or c and r

if you are targeting breeders some wont survive you may feel the% is low enough that it does not bother you. my opinion is our fishery is almost dead let the breeders do their thing-either you are okay with breeders dying or you are not just because you kill less than the guy that kills 100% of them does not mean you are not harming our current fishery(my opinion)

10 mins ago, Bernie12 said:

its not, ..the reason they claim (hudson river) that they catch/keep big breeders is because they never have the opportunity to catch anything large other than the small window they have..:read: wouldnt it be best to let them breed and take a drive at some point later in the year

Good forbid ya pass up the chance to kill something just because you can!

16 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

** Pennsylvania allows anglers to harvest a daily limit of two striped bass measuring 21 to 25 inches for a two month period from April 1 through May 31 from the Calhoun St. Bridge in Trenton downstream to the Pennsylvania state line.

Isn't that considered tidal waters?

TimS

15 mins ago, superstriper said:

I think folks should not target these fish at all to keep  or c and r

How does that make folks who practice C&R 'furious' as you suggested? 

36 mins ago, Bernie12 said:

I could be mistaken, but with the exception of the Troy/Albany area not that many large stripers are caught in the Hudson in the Spring, that said Troy/Albany is a slaughter fest, or at least it used to be.   the lower Hudson in the fall is much better

I'm sure someone will chew my head off for this but they really need more year-round protection.  I completely agree that they definitely need extra protection when they are all bottle-necked into a small geographic area like raritan bay/the hudson.  But killing a fish right after it spawns isnt really all that much better, if you want to get technical thats pre-spawn for the following year.  So what? it got just one last spawn in?  These fish live for decades.  I generally think "pre-spawn" protection is fairly short sighted (although maybe im shooting myself in the foot complaining about any move in the right direction).   I've said it every year, a dead fish is a dead fish, doesnt matter too much when you kill it.

14 mins ago, bbfish said:

I'm sure someone will chew my head off for this but they really need more year-round protection.  I completely agree that they definitely need extra protection when they are all bottle-necked into a small geographic area like raritan bay/the hudson.  But killing a fish right after it spawns isnt really all that much better, if you want to get technical thats pre-spawn for the following year.  So what? it got just one last spawn in?  These fish live for decades.  I generally think "pre-spawn" protection is fairly short sighted (although maybe im shooting myself in the foot complaining about any move in the right direction).   I've said it every year, a dead fish is a dead fish, doesnt matter too much when you kill it.

You are correct. But imo having regs on the books that prevent pre-spawn killing of breeders is miles better then what we currently have. Incremental change is far more doable  then grandiose schemes that are laughed out of the room. 

2 mins ago, adams54 said:

You are correct. But imo having regs on the books that prevent pre-spawn killing of breeders is miles better then what we currently have. Incremental change is far more doable  then grandiose schemes that are laughed out of the room. 

What can I say, I’m a dreamer.

49 mins ago, TimS said:

How does that make folks who practice C&R 'furious' as you suggested? 

try telling a guy targeting for breeders he is not helping our fishery and see the response-you will get the mind your F'n business response or the it is not illegal response.... same response the breeder killers give the catch and release guys.

I wish I had video of me "talking" to the guy has as  he kicked his keeper back into the ocean and telling me to F off because  he" let it go"

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

While we are on the topic of C&R. Some of these so call C&R guy would beach a fish, takes 5 minutes to measure it and their social media photo op. Then put the fish back in the water, that's not C&R, that's just dumping a dead fish back in the water.

I see this way too much. And I do sometimes talk to the person. I don't hesitate to talk to people kicking and throwing schoolies back. Sometimes the response is good, sometimes I'm told to mind my own f.....g business. But at least I feel I am helping a little bit. 

4 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Per our states rules, they are allowed to keep those fish. 75% of the guys taking fish home think that the fish are fat due to eating. I would kindly remind them, upon catching the fish, that those fat fish are on their way to release their 1000s of eggs. Ask them if they would consider releasing that fish and if either of you catch a keeper size male that youll do the swap. Id rather give some guy that releases a female one of my male fish than them take it home.

Theyre fishing for meat and you will not convince them otherwise, so if you can convince them to take a non breeder than all is well.

Unless they are spilling their eggs or milt all over you, its impossible to tell a male from a female without dissecting the fish.