adams54

What do you say to guys keeping pre-spawn breeder females

Rate this topic

213 posts in this topic

59 mins ago, Drew C. said:

There’s absolutely no ‘right’ there. None at all. It’s a privilege to be able to harvest a fish. There’s a big difference between a right and a privilege. 

sometimes you need/should do more than the law allows. This is one of those cases. Just because the law says so doesn’t mean it’s not a dumb thing to do. 

What your rights are or are not is defined by law. Not defined by feelings. Just as it's your right to C&R. I do agree with you about being pre spawn females.  What I don't agree with is people who fish and jam hooks through a fishes mouth,  then wants to ride the high horse because someone else keeps a fish. 

Get on line with the hippies or figure out how to get more people to be responsible fisherman. Which isn't beating people over the head about their choices. 

16 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Why not err on the side of caution and assume any fat fish caught in April or May is full of eggs? That would be the smart thing to do but we know how that  works....

That's kind of my point. If you really want to conservate, C&R 100% for the entire spring run or stop fishing during the run.  I have no problem C&R the entire spring run. You can't convinced a meat guy that's not meat. Much less to change the mind of a poacher. I can't say that I am C&R 100% so I can't stay on the high horse. I have been called a poacher when I walk off the beach with a legal fish by some high and mighty so I know how it feel on the receiving end. I just kept to my self and let the law deal with it.    

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank god the Hudson River above the George Washington bridge now has a slot that protects larger breeding females. In years past it was a massacre of any fish above 18”. Starting all the seasons a month later, and a marine district keeper slot of say 28”-35”, would be a godsend for the breeding females. The early NJ fishing in the Raritan Bay probably affects more breeding females than we know. Every single bass has to pass through the Raritan to enter the Hudson to spawn at that magic 65 degrees.

Edited by cheech

it is funny there are always some that think they should be the morality pollice and their beliefs should dictate how others act

the laws say guys can keep the fish-right away some say this is not right and these are bad guys ....

then a different person will say fishing for pre spawn fish is not right and right away the guys lashed out against guys for keeping breeders defend catch and release when everybody knows even with catch and release targeting these big fish will 100% lead to some of them not surviving

While we are on the topic of C&R. Some of these so call C&R guy would beach a fish, takes 5 minutes to measure it and their social media photo op. Then put the fish back in the water, that's not C&R, that's just dumping a dead fish back in the water.

as long as people follow the laws they should be left alone-now I agree some of the laws dont make sense so folks should work to change the laws to better protect the fishery.  The very folks that want to speak out against the guys for keeping breeders would be furious if somebody spoke out against them for targeting these same fish for c and r

Doesn't make sense that it is not a C&R fishery till after spawning.  How are the folks making the regs so short sighted, this is an obvious win for the Bio mass.

2 mins ago, hobobob said:

While we are on the topic of C&R. Some of these so call C&R guy would beach a fish, takes 5 minutes to measure it and their social media photo op. Then put the fish back in the water, that's not C&R, that's just dumping a dead fish back in the water.

yes kicking a fish back in the water or letting go a bloody one or beaching one for ten minutes then throwing back in is not C and R and if really concerned dont use trebles

5 mins ago, superstriper said:

then a different person will say fishing for pre spawn fish is not right and right away the guys lashed out against guys for keeping breeders defend catch and release when everybody knows even with catch and release targeting these big fish will 100% lead to some of them not surviving

Kinda misleading to put "100% lead to some of them not surviving" - what percent don't survive? Mortality in the cooler spring waters is LESS than in the hot summer water...so we can pretty safely expect mortality to be LESS than the 9% average.  100% of the ones you put in a cooler or leave on the mud to bake in the sun do not survive.  Sorry, I don't see any hypocrisy in releasing big egg laden females while explaining to people why those females are so important.

TimS

If we had regs that actually made sense, fish that are in spawning season (or about to enter) should be so off limits that even C&R isn't allowed.  The Striper fishery shouldn't open up until the spawn is completely over, and I say that as someone who's been fishing for them now since Opening Day.

Same for Tog, Fluke, Black Sea Bass, EVERYTHING...........  Not even C&R.............

30 mins ago, TimS said:

That's silly...by that measure nobody that fishes should have any opinion on conservation or healthy stocks or proper release measures - they should just stop fishing. It's like saying "if you care about the fish stop fishing" :kook:

TimS

no just stop pressuring fish in the spawning areas. I stopped fishing the DE river for this reason  the fish are there to spawn me dragging them up off the bottom, 50 yards to the beach does not help them spawn. 

6 mins ago, superstriper said:

as long as people follow the laws they should be left alone-now I agree some of the laws dont make sense so folks should work to change the laws to better protect the fishery.  The very folks that want to speak out against the guys for keeping breeders would be furious if somebody spoke out against them for targeting these same fish for c and r

Really? I don't see it...normal folks don't get furious about other people's opinions, even if they don't agree with them. You wanna speak out against folks keeping egg laden females, go for it. You wanna speak out against folks for C&R egg laden females, go for it. People that get furious when they hear opinions they don't like have much deeper issues to work out :)

TimS

1 min ago, crazybellringer said:

no just stop pressuring fish in the spawning areas. I stopped fishing the DE river for this reason  the fish are there to spawn me dragging them up off the bottom, 50 yards to the beach does not help them spawn. 

Well, that and the fact that it'll illegal to target them in the Delaware River while they are spawning in the first place it makes sense to stop targeting them while it's illegal to do so :)

TimS

8 mins ago, superstriper said:

But that’s the problem. Our current regs don’t support the resource, they support those that profit off its harvest. It’s really that simple. If our regs were based on the science we have we would have taken a 30+% cut in harvest FIVE years ago. But that didn’t happen. 

No we pay for it. All the while there are dozens of excuses why we can’t change - it’s my right, it’s the law, my business will suffer, I don’t like it. On and on all the while there are fewer and fewer fish to catch. 

Same ****, different day, fewer fish for tomorrow. 

5 mins ago, TimS said:

Well, that and the fact that it'll illegal to target them in the Delaware River while they are spawning in the first place it makes sense to stop targeting them while it's illegal to do so :)

TimS

** Pennsylvania allows anglers to harvest a daily limit of two striped bass measuring 21 to 25 inches for a two month period from April 1 through May 31 from the Calhoun St. Bridge in Trenton downstream to the Pennsylvania state line.