adams54

What do you say to guys keeping pre-spawn breeder females

Rate this topic

213 posts in this topic

Best answer so far is do nothing say nothing which is what Ive been doing. You guys are correct in your semantics and the law school professor would give you a nice pat on the head...but where the rubber meets the road it makes no difference. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Per our states rules, they are allowed to keep those fish. 75% of the guys taking fish home think that the fish are fat due to eating. I would kindly remind them, upon catching the fish, that those fat fish are on their way to release their 1000s of eggs. Ask them if they would consider releasing that fish and if either of you catch a keeper size male that youll do the swap. Id rather give some guy that releases a female one of my male fish than them take it home.

Theyre fishing for meat and you will not convince them otherwise, so if you can convince them to take a non breeder than all is well.

Edited by DragonsLax48

Some fisherman just HAVE to take a fish home for whatever good or bad reason(s). It is why I cringe when I hear “is it a  keeper” when referred to stripers. I think it’s time we throw them all back so there will be a tomorrow for striped bass. 

2 mins ago, adams54 said:

Best answer so far is do nothing say nothing which is what Ive been doing. You guys are correct in your semantics and the law school professor would give you a nice pat on the head...but where the rubber meets the road it makes no difference. 

It kinda does...when you present something as a 'right' people feel obligated to do it - when you present something as a 'privilege' people understand that it can (and will) be taken away if/when it's abused.

TimS

Unless you C&R 100%, How do you know it's a female fish for sure? A slim 28" could be a female that just arrived. A fat 36" could simply have belly full of bunkers. I do my own part, As long as others have not violate the law, I don't have much to say to them except don't waste em in the freezer or give it to some neighbor who don't really want it in the first place.

1 min ago, TimS said:

It kinda does...when you present something as a 'right' people feel obligated to do it - when you present something as a 'privilege' people understand that it can (and will) be taken away if/when it's abused.

TimS

Exactly. A drivers license is a privilege not a right. You can easily lose it by doing stoopid ****. 

Same thing here. The problem is not the word it's the narrow mindedness of those that use them. 

Regarding the laws, the day that they are made to reflect the science I will agree with them. But what have now, that diverges from the science to support the greedy few that profit off the harvest of the resource (rec or commercial). 

Just now, hobobob said:

Unless you C&R 100%, How do you know it's a female fish for sure? A slim 28" could be a female that just arrived. A fat 36" could simply have belly full of bunkers. I do my own part, As long as others have not violate the law, I don't have much to say to them except don't waste em in the freezer or give it to some neighbor who don't really want it in the first place.

Why not err on the side of caution and assume any fat fish caught in April or May is full of eggs? That would be the smart thing to do but we know how that  works....

10 mins ago, TimS said:

TimS

Ok I see where you're coming from. Thank you for that point of view.

If you fishing for bass with eggs you really don't care, get off your high horse. Why don't you wait to fish for them until after they spawn like the people that really care about the fishery. 

2 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

If you fishing for bass with eggs you really don't care, get off your high horse. Why don't you wait to fish for them until after they spawn like the people that really care about the fishery. 

That's silly...by that measure nobody that fishes should have any opinion on conservation or healthy stocks or proper release measures - they should just stop fishing. It's like saying "if you care about the fish stop fishing" :kook:

TimS

A dead fish is a dead fish, whether it’s caught now or October. But.... we are a few weeks away from the spawn, fish are concentrated in areas and somewhat easy to catch. If they’ve dodged 37,000 bullets to get to this point they should have a little protection, no? If the ‘law’ doesn’t provide for that common sense should. 

The problem is that common sense aint ain’t all that common. 

Edited by Drew C.

i agree with big popper and tims,if you say something might cause a confrontation you dont want alot of crazy guys out their,just cause its legal doesnt make it right killing mothers with their eggs crazy if i see a guy take a small fish might say hey i got a tape wanna measure it.I would not call dec but if another fisherman did i wouldnt be mad.

39 mins ago, Terry Mac said:

moop fake.JPG

That's the worst photoshopping job I've seen since I went on a date with a woman I met online. On the internet she looked like Elle MacPherson, but in real life she looked like Chris Farley. :dismay: 

45 mins ago, TimS said:

FYI, still doesn't make it a right, just makes it legal :read:  Something not being against the law is NOT the same thing as a right. Short sighted attention seeking tackle shop heroes will always put themselves first...they don't care about anything but their hero photograph and fanny pats from people they don't even know. It's tragic...short sighted...and taking breeders before they've had a chance to drop their eggs is obviously bad for the stocks. Unfortunately, you aren't going to change 'their' minds...all the hero photographs they see on social media make them feel like they NEED to kill those big fish so they can feel good about themselves :bucktooth:

TimS

If I had a penny for every time somebody defended something that is clearly not right because it was "not against the law" * Either you believe in laws or you don't and either you believe in right or wrong or you dont

I dont keep stripers -never have but the current law allows folks to take fish(I think it is a bad law)  I personally also think fishing for these fish is bad with catch and release as well-the mortality rate is I believe much higher than folks like to think-many folks would disagree with me and say this is their favorite time to cish

Edited by TimS
Please leave the PG out of this forum - thanks :-)