adams54

What do you say to guys keeping pre-spawn breeder females

Rate this topic

213 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, Slacker said:

Is there any spawning activity of significance in Connecticut or is this pretty much just about NJ and southward?

I have heard some folk claim that there is some spawning activity in the CT River just below the Holyoke dam. The biologists I have talked to say that spawning may be possible but the survival of the eggs and/or fry is virtually impossible.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Absolutely nothing but when you have a indefensible stance it often pays to add as much bull**** as possible to the discussion in order to bring it off track. 

Not so fast! This debate is about reasons to refrain from killing fish. You are asking people to alter their world view. If pain is a reason to alter a world view, and a behavior  then what other views and behaviors must also change if you accept the reason for the change which you are advocating?

7 mins ago, Slacker said:

I don't either. 

And I think you could make a decent argument that "physical stress" is equivalent to "pain".  When that released fish floats away, it was purely the result of fishing activity... that's indisputable.  

This is interesting...

"Some people think that a fish can't remember, that it relies only on instinct," said Dr. Loren Hill, chairman of the zoology department for the University of Oklahoma and one of the nation's leading authorities on fish behavior. "They think they will forget things in a matter of minutes. But that's not true. We've found through our studies that fish do have a memory.

"For example, if a bass is caught on a spinnerbait one day, it's almost impossible to catch that fish on the same lure the next day. And if it is exposed to that bait every couple days for a week or so, it could be 20 days before it will strike the lure again.

"It's the same way for the fish's buddies that observed that fish being caught, too. When they see the lure come past, they are going to remember and they are going to avoid it."

I won a NJ HS science project grant because I could train Oscars to feed in front of different colored light shined into their tank. They remembered and would gather at the light and wait for the food. 

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

I don't either. 

And I think you could make a decent argument that "physical stress" is equivalent to "pain".  When that released fish floats away, it was purely the result of fishing activity... that's indisputable.  

This is interesting...

"Some people think that a fish can't remember, that it relies only on instinct," said Dr. Loren Hill, chairman of the zoology department for the University of Oklahoma and one of the nation's leading authorities on fish behavior. "They think they will forget things in a matter of minutes. But that's not true. We've found through our studies that fish do have a memory.

"For example, if a bass is caught on a spinnerbait one day, it's almost impossible to catch that fish on the same lure the next day. And if it is exposed to that bait every couple days for a week or so, it could be 20 days before it will strike the lure again.

"It's the same way for the fish's buddies that observed that fish being caught, too. When they see the lure come past, they are going to remember and they are going to avoid it."

I'm talking about the physical and emotional experience of pain as it relates to animal cruelty. I'm quite certain fish experience "this isn't good, I must stop it," but given how far removed their physiology is, I just think it's a mistake to conclude their experience is close enough to ours to declare a parallel. It's an unknowable, but again, if the structure you and I use to interpret pain isn't present in fish, I don't know how one could reach that conclusion.

I caught the same largemouth three times in less than 24 hours once, it wasn't getting the message. Plenty of forage in that pond, so it wasn't starving.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I won a NJ HS science project grant because I could train Oscars to feed in front of different colored light shined into their tank. They remembered and would gather at the light and wait for the food. 

Conditioning isn't necessarily learning. It's dodgy enough to attribute human-like characteristics to other mammals, let alone fish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Slacker said:

Is there any spawning activity of significance in Connecticut or is this pretty much just about NJ and southward?

“Experts” say no spawning happens in CT, too cold, but I have heard otherwise from some people. Never seen it myself though so I’m doubtful.

Edited by nateD

Any spawning, if it were to happen in CT (or any where else outside of the Bay or the Hudson) contributes a number to the coastal stock that approaches zero. Locally, for those bodies of water, it might add a little. Everywhere else - adds nothing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, nateD said:

“Experts” say no spawning happens in CT, too cold, but I have heard otherwise from some people. Never seen it myself though so I’m doubtful.

Too cold , how do they spawn in the Miramichi river in Canada?

Edited by Vaporizor
Spelling

The biologists that I talked to said the spawn would never survive, not enough distance between the spawning grounds and the tidal line. Look what happens next door in NY, they breed all the way up by Albany!

5 hours ago, Kevinc89 said:

I wish the law was for all the states may 1st opening day for stripers that alone would help the stocks big time

when you remoove fish in august she is not coming to spawn next year.

you remoove the fish in august and guy remoove the fish 2 weeks before spawn is same think.

only to protect fish,to know how much is comercial harvest,cut the quota to 0 and put good managment quota for sport fishing.

the striper should not be alow to sell for profit on all east coast.

3 hours ago, snag777 said:

when you remoove fish in august she is not coming to spawn next year.

you remoove the fish in august and guy remoove the fish 2 weeks before spawn is same think.

only to protect fish,to know how much is comercial harvest,cut the quota to 0 and put good managment quota for sport fishing.

the striper should not be alow to sell for profit on all east coast.

Yea well that's not gonna happen but atleast if you move the day back more for post spawn your not killing fish that are spawning 

Many people can only catch fish from a boat or in tha canal. They are not fishermen. They are opportunistic,cheaters,liars , users and general low life scum. In my humble opinion. I really hope they shut that canal down for fishing

A June 1st opening for bass COASTWIDE with no exceptions combined with a 30" size limit would be a start to ensuring that the fish able to spawn get to do so unmolested and move out of the spawning areas without having to run the gauntlet of "sport" fishermen waiting for them.

2 hours ago, Kones1 said:

Many people can only catch fish from a boat or in tha canal. They are not fishermen. They are opportunistic,cheaters,liars , users and general low life scum. In my humble opinion. I really hope they shut that canal down for fishing

That's a hell of a lot of cheaters losers and liars and low life scum. Let me take a guess you fish by  yourself lot don't you