adams54

What do you say to guys keeping pre-spawn breeder females

Rate this topic

213 posts in this topic

So past few outings somewhere in Jersey Im seeing guys take home keeper size breeder females with eggs as best as I can tell. Obviously its their right per NJ regs yada yada yada. Its pre-spawn so that is bad for the fishery. Personally this practice disgusts me. Fishery is in decline and that is a fact. I was taught that if you have nothing good to say dont say anything at all. I usually mutter "nice fish" and keep on my buisness.

Do any of you C&R guys say anything to people in this type of scenario? 

Stop with the ‘it’s their rights stuff’. It’s not. It’s a pretty stoopid thing to do. The fish are a month away from spawning. Harvest sb limited at this time. 

10 mins ago, adams54 said:

So past few outings somewhere in Jersey Im seeing guys take home keeper size breeder females with eggs as best as I can tell. Obviously its their right per NJ regs yada yada yada. Its pre-spawn so that is bad for the fishery. Personally this practice disgusts me. Fishery is in decline and that is a fact. I was taught that if you have nothing good to say dont say anything at all. I usually mutter "nice fish" and keep on my buisness.

Do any of you C&R guys say anything to people in this type of scenario? 

the older i get the less i say to other people ,you just never know what kind of crack pot your dealing with.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Stop with the ‘it’s their rights stuff’. It’s not. It’s a pretty stoopid thing to do. The fish are a month away from spawning. Harvest sb limited at this time. 

Look Im on your side 100%. But how is it not their right according to rule of law? So what would you say? I suppose I shouldn't even say nice fish cause that would be stroking the ego which is what they crave apparently.

Edited by adams54

I've been fishing too long and am getting too old to be confrontational every time I see anglers doing things I don't don't agree with. I think the best Thing anyone can do is to be the best steward You can be to a resource which we all have to share. If it's your legal  right to take a fish, then I'm not saying anything. If you're a poacher and breaking the law; I keep the local DEC Officers number in my phone and that makes you fair game. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Actually, all fishing should be banned Pre-spawn. C&R still kills about 10% of the fish caught. Do we want a healthy bass population or not?

Edited by Kent I
Unclear phrasing

1 min ago, adams54 said:

Look Im on your side 100%. But how is it not their right according to rule of law? So what would you say?

There’s absolutely no ‘right’ there. None at all. It’s a privilege to be able to harvest a fish. There’s a big difference between a right and a privilege. 

sometimes you need/should do more than the law allows. This is one of those cases. Just because the law says so doesn’t mean it’s not a dumb thing to do. 

It's their right, but it probably shouldn't be.  We need more aggressive regulation on both slot limits and keeping fish which are bearing eggs, you don't see crab or lobster fisherman keeping females with eggs do you?

6 mins ago, Drew C. said:

There’s absolutely no ‘right’ there. None at all. It’s a privilege to be able to harvest a fish. There’s a big difference between a right and a privilege. 

sometimes you need/should do more than the law allows. This is one of those cases. Just because the law says so doesn’t mean it’s not a dumb thing to do. 

That is your opinion. I feel were getting bogged down in semantics. Bottom line is the men with guns say it's ok. The debate isnt whether or not it's a dumb thing to do. You still haven't answered the original question. 

7 mins ago, adams54 said:

That is your opinion. I feel were getting bogged down in semantics. Bottom line is the men with guns say it's ok. The debate isnt whether or not it's a dumb thing to do. You still haven't answered the original question. 

exactly. 

9 mins ago, adams54 said:

Bottom line is the men with guns say it's ok.

FYI, still doesn't make it a right, just makes it legal :read:  Something not being against the law is NOT the same thing as a right. Short sighted attention seeking tackle shop heroes will always put themselves first...they don't care about anything but their hero photograph and fanny pats from people they don't even know. It's tragic...short sighted...and taking breeders before they've had a chance to drop their eggs is obviously bad for the stocks. Unfortunately, you aren't going to change 'their' minds...all the hero photographs they see on social media make them feel like they NEED to kill those big fish so they can feel good about themselves :bucktooth:

TimS

19 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

It's their right, but it probably shouldn't be.  We need more aggressive regulation on both slot limits and keeping fish which are bearing eggs, you don't see crab or lobster fisherman keeping females with eggs do you?

Lobstermen get it. Not only do the return egg bearing females they notch their tails so that if they are caught in the future the next guy will know it’s a female and put her back. 

Us rec fishermen, we are greedy and stoopid and more concerned with our so called ‘rights’ vs common sense and doing what’s best for the resource. The even better part is that the ‘rights’ guy will be to first one to bitch when there aren’t any fish left. 

I stopped fishing for cod in late fall/early winter when I realized the boats were loading up on large egg-bearing fish. Last time I went I told people I didn't think it was a good idea. I'm not in a position to enforce my opinion or pass judgement, but I can tell anybody what I think. I don't hesitate to tell a stranger, politely, if I think something they are doing is unwise long term.

28 mins ago, big popper said:

the older i get the less i say to other people ,you just never know what kind of crack pot your dealing with.

Feeling this way a little more every single day