Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JRT

Bonefish line for wading

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I'll be doing some bonefishing next month, all wading in the ever-present wind. So I suspect this will all be sub-40ft casts. Therefore I'm on the look out for a heavyish short head line that doesn't splash down too much. Any views?

The Airflo Super Dri Bonefish is half the price of the RIO and SA Bonefish lines over here. Has any one used this?

i like the SA grand slam line.  It is a half weight heavier and front loaded.  It is perfect for the conditions you describe.  I would only fish a delicate bonefish taper line on calm days in skinny water.

I use the two of RIO's lines. the Bonefish Quick Shooter and Flats Master Pro.   They have not let me down.  I have not fished the other lines but I am sure they are good lines.   

Do you know what the 1st 30' of the Airflo bonefish line weighs?  Hard to compare it to others unless you do.  How good a caster you are is also a factor.    

I am not a great caster. The issue I find with standard true to weight long bellied bonefish lines is not so much reaching fish upwind (provided you can carry the whole head length they are pretty good at that) as it is being able to load the rod sufficiently to make an accurate short casts into the wind with less than the full head extended.  For the latter task an overweighted line helps. 

The SA grand slam is actually a full weight size heavy (235g for an "8wt" which is in the AFTMA range for a 9wt line).  It has a similar taper to the Airflo tropical punch line. Both have very short front tapers but in rough conditions spooking fish is not so much a concern.

The SA mastery saltwater is a 1/2 wt size heavy (225g for an "8wt") and has a longer more standard front taper than the grand slam.  It is a nice compromise line.  If the Airflo is overweighted it might perform similarly (the head designs look pretty close). 

The SA mastery bonefish is true to weight (210g) but the total head weight is significantly more and that is what you would usually be loading the rod with if the fish is 50-60+ft away.  If the fish is 30' away, you've got a 9' leader, and the wind is cranking then there are problems. 

I own the latter two lines and prefer the 1/2 overweight Saltwater when dealing with short casts in strong winds (say 17+kts).  There are days when I wish I owned the even heavier GS line as well.  That said, the real thrill of wading for bonefish is making long delicate casts to tailing fish.  Wind be damned, there is no way I'd go on a wading bonefish trip without a standard taper bonefish line.

28 mins ago, PATroutGuy said:

I like the Rio Flats Pro line, too. It ain't cheap, though.

I've got two of those and wish I'd known more before I bought them. 

Short casts into stiff wind is definitely not their forte. 

They are significantly overweighted with a compound head shape that concentrates most of the weight in the rear 1/2 of the head and tries to keep the front 1/2 lighter for a better presentation. 

I think they are designed to help casters who need an overweighted line to compensate for a poor backcasts but at the same time want a more delicate presentation than a typical front loaded line would deliver.  

Even though overweighted a full line weight, because of the weight distribution, they don't cast well until you get most of the back end of the head out past the rod tip....at which point they are heavy but fine.  

X3 for the SA Amplitude smooth, shoots much better than my older (somewhat tired) Rio Bonefish line.  Unless your rod is really stiff, the rated weight works well - my 8wt Exocett, which is a bit fast, likes the correct weight in the Amplitude.

19 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

X2 for SA Amp smooth bonefish 

I have a few of these on different rigs (5, 6, & 7wt), so far so good. I also have a few monic genesis clear lines that I keep for Biscayne Bay & the lower keys, not my favorite but definitely the best of the clear floating lines available now.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Never could figure how an over weighted or underweighted line could ever compensate for a poor cast.

Gear is not the solution  to a crap cast. Desire to have a good cast is what’s needed. But that requires effort and that’s like rocking horse dung today it would seem.

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Thanks all - I went for the Airflo line in the end as the Rio QS bonefish is £90 over here (that's $117 in dollars) and it has a heavier head than standard for those short casts. Seems to cast nicely on grass out to 50ft.

2 hours ago, JRT said:

Thanks all - I went for the Airflo line in the end as the Rio QS bonefish is £90 over here (that's $117 in dollars) and it has a heavier head than standard for those short casts. Seems to cast nicely on grass out to 50ft.

The bonefish quickshooter isn't really a bonefish line. It's literally a redfish taper with a different color and packaging. You wouldn't have been happy with that line.

On 4/28/2019 at 1:55 PM, GreenMachine said:

X2 for SA Amp smooth bonefish 

Ridiculously priced at $130 US ! Perhaps its the " Floating Texture" that costs so much to produce. WTF is floating texture and since when does texture influence flotation ?

Edited by sidelock

6 hours ago, sidelock said:

Ridiculously priced at $130 US ! Perhaps its the " Floating Texture" that costs so much to produce. WTF is floating texture and since when does texture influence flotation ?

The amplitude smooth is 99.99, and like the name suggests, it is not a textured line. I'm looking at both the smooth and textured versions of the amplitude line as I type this, in 4 tapers. The words "floating texture" are nowhere to be seen on any of the packaging. 

3 hours ago, Local66 said:

The amplitude smooth is 99.99, and like the name suggests, it is not a textured line. I'm looking at both the smooth and textured versions of the amplitude line as I type this, in 4 tapers. The words "floating texture" are nowhere to be seen on any of the packaging. 

They can only fit so much literature on a fly line box, the rest is on their website. This is almost as good as T&T's description of their Excocett quote, " thin-diameter top section that slices through the wind for quick and accurate casts " REALLY ! Where they come up with this BS is way beyond me but I guess that's another testament of how stupid they perceive us to be for paying such absurd prices for their product.

Edited by sidelock