bob_G

Gross red meat question

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

So clearly it was more than an oxygen thing If he didnt try to tell you otw.   did you buy another one?  

No. We're having second thoughts about them. The fact that they couldn't explain it bothers us.  

I find that the butchers at Market Basket are not the most accommodating people. The guy in Raynham is a total jerk. I asked him to cut some lamb shanks on the band saw down to make about 1.5 slices for Osso Bucco, and he said "I ain't cutting my fingers off" and refused..... :rolleyes:

They are a bit better in West Bridgewater, but not much. They routinely will cut 7 bone chuck steaks either thing enough you can see thru them, or too thick so that it is more like a roast and won't fare well on the grill. When I ask them to cut some at a happy medium, they have no clue what I am talking about. :dismay:

I saw an interesting article in a food science site.  It said 70% of meat is treated with CO.  They did an experiment to demonstrate color change by vacuum sealing a piece of beef that had not been treated and it browned but only on the surface.  The interior stayed red like the control piece.  Then they vacuum sealed a piece that had been CO treated and it stayed red.   They used a chamber vacuum (like for Sous vide) which might be more powerful than home sealers but I’m curious if any ever noticed a color change vac sealing meat.  

Bought a bone in Rib Roast and sliced it into steaks, outside bright red, inside brown, the brown is normal the red is from being treated

So again, why was all the meat, inc the hamburg candy apple fire truck red on the outside, and dog poop brown on the inside?

Remember, the hamburg was ground fresh from half of the roast. It was bright red on the outside as well. Did they retreat the meat minutes before giving it to my wife?

I haven’t found the process where they apply it at store level.  Might be part of packaging.  You’ve made me very curious.  

12 hours ago, JimW said:

I saw an interesting article in a food science site.  It said 70% of meat is treated with CO.  They did an experiment to demonstrate color change by vacuum sealing a piece of beef that had not been treated and it browned but only on the surface.  The interior stayed red like the control piece.  Then they vacuum sealed a piece that had been CO treated and it stayed red.   They used a chamber vacuum (like for Sous vide) which might be more powerful than home sealers but I’m curious if any ever noticed a color change vac sealing meat.  

When I vacuum seal venison and freeze it  it is usually the same color when i defrost it.  It might have some slight brown on outside but i never noticed a complete change over.   We also vacuum seal and freeze steaks  sometimes even cutting them in half first if very thick and I dont remember seeing them turn brown when I take them out.  But then again they are frozen.

On 4/16/2019 at 3:45 PM, bob_G said:

So again, why was all the meat, inc the hamburg candy apple fire truck red on the outside, and dog poop brown on the inside?

Remember, the hamburg was ground fresh from half of the roast. It was bright red on the outside as well. Did they retreat the meat minutes before giving it to my wife?

Honestly I don't think they grounded your roast, the likely had already pre-made burgers they gave you

when you purchase chop meat (i don't ever buy pre shaped burgers) the meat on the outside is cherry red, the chop meat under the surface is brown