titleguy

Cape in May

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ccb said:
24 in. Green Splash Block

Model#  3012-12

Put a couple of straps on these?   Be like Mud Flats?

You could try it.  I started by trying to repurpose my plastic snowshoes for mud.  That idea sort of worked but if in water and not on top of mud only it was not a fun experience.  All that surface area pushed against water and made walking in the water a lot harder.  

The mudders collapse when not supporting your weight so on dry ground or hard bottom in water it is not that much different than walking in wading boots from a comfort perspective you can go a good distance.  When you hit mud underwater I found they floated me without making moving my feet forward unduly hard as the snowshoes did. 

I think in this particular situation the guy has developed the best value solution and trying to make a cheap solution is not worth the effort to me.  

7 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Dan,

I have kayaked the flats at nights a lot when I first started fishing at night in 2014-2015.  I still make 2-3 trips a year with guide Steve Kean.  I would not take a trolling motor out there.  You want to be as light as possible and it will be too shallow to use the trolling motor anyways 90% of the time.   

Also, you have to cross channels in the dark that can have stacked waves.  Things seem relatively fine then suddenly mid-channel you are in a substantial amount of turbulence.  Weight of a battery could be what tips the scales against you and capsize.  Back bays it will work well for mobility, but make sure when you get near where you plan to fish you turn it off well in advance and work your way in by paddle.  I have watched bass get spooked in skinny water by trolling motors.  I know it can work okay, but you are always better off poling or paddling that last 50 yards.

Dan

Dan,

I should've clarified that using the TM at night is not my main intention for it, especially in unfamiliar channels. At nighttime, unless I were absolutely confident in the conditions that could reasonably occur in the areas I would be going, given the wind and tide stage & amplitude, I would either pick a different route/location, and definitely omit the TM. I have been dragged into some uncomfortable rides thorough small standing waves (2-3') during the daytime, and that's before having my stability impaired by the trolling motor hanging off one side and the batteries raising my center of gravity. The TM + batteries will be reserved for areas with few/no such concentrated currents, such as tidal flats during the day (away from drop-offs), open water, and some calmer estuaries. As you mentioned, I do plan on using a paddle for the final approach on fish, and will be using an anchor or pole to hold in places where fish would move through with the tide.

My incentive to install the TM is to help with fatigue on long days and in current during light hours. I have paddled over 15 miles over the course of a day several times, usually into the wind, and I am not keen on doing it again. If I need to run from point A to point B for 2 miles, just throw the switch, and I can be fresh with the rod when I get there. On the flats and open beaches, I can cruise while standing, increasing my fish-spotting range. It will also help for albies come fall, both for spotting by standing while moving and having the will and means to cover more water/pursue the fish. 

On the topic of mudders, I honestly would grab a pair today if I had any muddy areas in mind for this year that I couldn't access from the water. I've been stuck deep and lost shoes in the mud before, and it would suck a lot more at night on the incoming, but I just can't think of more than a few marks like that I plan on fishing this year. My main area of interest this season is the large estuarine system just north of where I am, and I've never been in that kind of mud up there. One day in the right place of the south side of the Cape might change my mind about that. It might even be this spring. 

Dan

7 hours ago, titleguy said:

Just booked the house in North Chatham- 16-19th..... c'mon fishies...

Is that booking May or June? Mike won't be on the cape until May 24 or 25.  And will be leaving  on June 16, 2019

You may wish to do a shift between May 25 and June 15 

On 4/15/2019 at 4:22 PM, DanTheBassMan said:

Dan,

I should've clarified that using the TM at night is not my main intention for it, especially in unfamiliar channels. At nighttime, unless I were absolutely confident in the conditions that could reasonably occur in the areas I would be going, given the wind and tide stage & amplitude, I would either pick a different route/location, and definitely omit the TM. I have been dragged into some uncomfortable rides thorough small standing waves (2-3') during the daytime, and that's before having my stability impaired by the trolling motor hanging off one side and the batteries raising my center of gravity. The TM + batteries will be reserved for areas with few/no such concentrated currents, such as tidal flats during the day (away from drop-offs), open water, and some calmer estuaries. As you mentioned, I do plan on using a paddle for the final approach on fish, and will be using an anchor or pole to hold in places where fish would move through with the tide.

My incentive to install the TM is to help with fatigue on long days and in current during light hours. I have paddled over 15 miles over the course of a day several times, usually into the wind, and I am not keen on doing it again. If I need to run from point A to point B for 2 miles, just throw the switch, and I can be fresh with the rod when I get there. On the flats and open beaches, I can cruise while standing, increasing my fish-spotting range. It will also help for albies come fall, both for spotting by standing while moving and having the will and means to cover more water/pursue the fish. 

On the topic of mudders, I honestly would grab a pair today if I had any muddy areas in mind for this year that I couldn't access from the water. I've been stuck deep and lost shoes in the mud before, and it would suck a lot more at night on the incoming, but I just can't think of more than a few marks like that I plan on fishing this year. My main area of interest this season is the large estuarine system just north of where I am, and I've never been in that kind of mud up there. One day in the right place of the south side of the Cape might change my mind about that. It might even be this spring. 

Dan

Got it.  Your plan makes sense.