titleguy

Cape in May

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 hours ago, HillTop said:

Mud shoes ?   What did I miss during that last week ?

HT

It was the fall trip we did. I don’t know,for sure if the fish are in the same spot in the spring but I am going to,find out. We had stellar fishing not huge fish but ones up to around 5 lbs caught in inches of water and blitzing both in the day and night periods. The downside was the rather deep marsh mud. It is quite scary in the dark to sink up to your nether regions in soft mud. Devils,own game trying to extract.

A company is out there I am told that make mud shoes that I am guessing look a bit like snow shoes. Anyone know who they are and where to find them.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

47 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

HT

It was the fall trip we did. I don’t know,for sure if the fish are in the same spot in the spring but I am going to,find out. We had stellar fishing not huge fish but ones up to around 5 lbs caught in inches of water and blitzing both in the day and night periods. The downside was the rather deep marsh mud. It is quite scary in the dark to sink up to your nether regions in soft mud. Devils,own game trying to extract.

A company is out there I am told that make mud shoes that I am guessing look a bit like snow shoes. Anyone know who they are and where to find them.

Mike

Mike,  I know of them but they're close to $150 a pair.     Looks like the work well.   Google " Mudder Boots" in Merrimack New Hampshire.

HT

23 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

One mile or two Rigged. We are going to build him a stealth line. That should improve things.

You  starting to feel a quickening now spring is here.

Must get  some mud shoes for the place we went a bit far into the marsh mud.

Up to the groin was not much fun with both legs that deep.

Lose the will to keep trying to extract ourselves .

Plus no one wants to sell you beer when that happens.

oly

I think I saw somewhere where The Graveyard Shift also mentioned those mud shoes.....go to find something to go thru that crap! I'm thinking of bringing the kayak with me so I won't have to slog thru that stuff. Yup spring is definitely in the air...time to get going! Maybe I'll bring some of those silencers they put on hunting bow strings to quite them for RedGreen :)

31 mins ago, rigdEEL said:

I think I saw somewhere where The Graveyard Shift also mentioned those mud shoes.....go to find something to go thru that crap! I'm thinking of bringing the kayak with me so I won't have to slog thru that stuff. Yup spring is definitely in the air...time to get going! Maybe I'll bring some of those silencers they put on hunting bow strings to quite them for RedGreen :)

Dougie I would appreciate that greatly :howdy:

16 hours ago, HillTop said:

Mike,  I know of them but they're close to $150 a pair.     Looks like the work well.   Google " Mudder Boots" in Merrimack New Hampshire.

HT

Those are what I use.  They work well.  In May I get all of my large fish 4-12miles away from the ocean.  In June as the mackerel start to show up in force I find that shifts the big fish back out to the ocean.  I have found the pattern holds true on Cape Cod too.  South Side of Cape has the most treacherous mud.  Bayside is not nearly as bad.

Dougie, 

Novel idea about the silencers. I prefer "Beaver Balls" on my recurve. I'd bring some down for Red, but he can probably just snatch a few from the lake in his backyard. He might need the whole beaver for his trebuchets, though. It really is like watching a medieval siege, when he goes out swinging. He just needs to be a bit more careful of the moats. 

I'll need a helmet for when he comes out to the Cape. I'm in for a beating. 

I've been looking at the mudders for a while, but I've been getting by with a kayak pretty well so far. I'm planning on bringing my kayak down to use both to safely gain access where would otherwise be unwise, as well as to my advantage on the flats, should conditions line up a day or two to allow for that. After I install the trolling motor and batteries, it'll weigh more than I do but draft only ~3" with the motor up, so skinny creeks won't be an issue. Once I'm in the deeper water, I just pop the motor in and should be able to cruise at 3-4 kt while standing. Should be fun. 

Dan

15 hours ago, DanTheBassMan said:

Dougie, 

Novel idea about the silencers. I prefer "Beaver Balls" on my recurve. I'd bring some down for Red, but he can probably just snatch a few from the lake in his backyard. He might need the whole beaver for his trebuchets, though. It really is like watching a medieval siege, when he goes out swinging. He just needs to be a bit more careful of the moats. 

I'll need a helmet for when he comes out to the Cape. I'm in for a beating. 

I've been looking at the mudders for a while, but I've been getting by with a kayak pretty well so far. I'm planning on bringing my kayak down to use both to safely gain access where would otherwise be unwise, as well as to my advantage on the flats, should conditions line up a day or two to allow for that. After I install the trolling motor and batteries, it'll weigh more than I do but draft only ~3" with the motor up, so skinny creeks won't be an issue. Once I'm in the deeper water, I just pop the motor in and should be able to cruise at 3-4 kt while standing. Should be fun. 

Dan

Dan,

I have kayaked the flats at nights a lot when I first started fishing at night in 2014-2015.  I still make 2-3 trips a year with guide Steve Kean.  I would not take a trolling motor out there.  You want to be as light as possible and it will be too shallow to use the trolling motor anyways 90% of the time.   

Also, you have to cross channels in the dark that can have stacked waves.  Things seem relatively fine then suddenly mid-channel you are in a substantial amount of turbulence.  Weight of a battery could be what tips the scales against you and capsize.  Back bays it will work well for mobility, but make sure when you get near where you plan to fish you turn it off well in advance and work your way in by paddle.  I have watched bass get spooked in skinny water by trolling motors.  I know it can work okay, but you are always better off poling or paddling that last 50 yards.

Dan