titleguy

Cape in May

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

16 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

TG

ok thanks. I will go to my pms and reciprocate contact details.

I do need to advise that my cell is a U.K. cell which allows me to call in the USA for buttons but it is silly expensive for you to call my phone.

But we can get around that by use of email and me calling you.

With Dan and Gavin showing up it should be even more frenetic. The three Amigoes Red Gavin and Dan are young guys very keen and highly skilled for guys so young and are the future of our sport. I really enjoy fishing with them.

The Causway I will have to guess at.

Mike

Causeway in Chatham between Stage Harbor and...... that place that shall not be named.

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Gavin likewise.

We should have a good trip and by coming down over the three weeks for a few days at a time should mean you get some fishing over the spring tide periods.

Now I know how hard it is for you and Dan to go minimum gear but it will help your efficiency greatly if you only bring what you will actually use.

There are a number of spots I want to take you to that fish most times very well during night tides. We had stunning fishing last year in these marks.

We have a Kelly Kettle and you can’t beat a smokey brew of tea taken on the beach in the late or early hours.

By May I guess you will be casting fit.

Dont forget your head lamp.

Mike

Mike, 

Ya I remember our Spring trip last year, the fishing was fantastic!!!

Dan and I will try too bring only what we need on the each trip, but we always seem to end up with way more than we actually need :bucktooth:.  From my past failures, I have learned that 2 head lamps is mandatory, and I will not make the same mistake again. I got NEW Skagit set up for my Two-Hander which has greatly helped my OH casting. Although it will never perform like your rods, it is floating my boat for the time being. 

Can't wait to see you in the Spring, 

Gavin 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Gavin

It was good but at night it gets real good if tide is right for one of the marks I would like us to fish.

But it is all about hope that the fishing will be good. The great unknown. We do our bit and then hope.

What we can guarantee   is that we will have a great time doing our best and putting in the hard yards.

After fishing there is always the craic to enjoy Kelly Kettle tea or a cold one.

I must get tying soon.

Remember the mantra cast move chase hunt. Be there first.

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mike I sure hope I'm welcome to tag along on this moonlit hunt. 

After that one night I struggled (the one where we dealt with all the weeds and a stiff headwind) I have been utterly captivated by night fishing. Once it gets hot enough here for it to make sense I'll be doing a lot of night fishing on my local lakes for bass and Muskies. Just being out there with all your senses heightened is absolutely amazing. I take my dog for night walks and while a younger me would favor a light, I now leave it at home as I prefer the dark. 

Edited by RedGreen

Red

Its a given. We are a team. I obviously can’t say what the mark is on the forum. 

You know,it but have not as yet fished it at night.

Just need the magic ingredients for it to work.

Mike

39 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Red

Its a given. We are a team. I obviously can’t say what the mark is on the forum. 

Mike

....so Mike,  have you "un-stuck" that 12'9" Mark II yet  :)     Won't be long before you need to load it on a plane.

Red, what are you bringing for rods this spring.   Curious to see your collection.

HT

HT

No it’s still stuck .I must get dimensions of my vice to you so you  can send your solution.

Reds collection is way too big. You would  lose too much fishing time .

Mike

39 mins ago, HillTop said:

....so Mike,  have you "un-stuck" that 12'9" Mark II yet  :)     Won't be long before you need to load it on a plane.

Red, what are you bringing for rods this spring.   Curious to see your collection.

HT

HT I'm bringing three rods but realistically only two will get fished. Two of which are Mike's blanks. My TH rods of course. Both of them 14' one is an 11/12wt the other a real stormruler a 13/14wt. For 550 and 750 grains respectively. Also bringing a 9' 10wt but realistically it won't see fishing time. 

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

Red

Mike

Mike

Can't say how happy I am to hear it. 

Saw your email. Was thinking of spots like those. Been planning for them actually. 

Cannot wait. Short time now. Less than. 2 months till I arrive. 

One mile or two Rigged. We are going to build him a stealth line. That should improve things.

You  starting to feel a quickening now spring is here.

Must get  some mud shoes for the place we went a bit far into the marsh mud.

Up to the groin was not much fun with both legs that deep.

Lose the will to keep trying to extract ourselves .

Plus no one wants to sell you beer when that happens.

oly

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

One mile or two Rigged. We are going to build him a stealth line. That should improve things.

You  starting to feel a quickening now spring is here.

Must get  some mud shoes for the place we went a bit far into the marsh mud.

Up to the groin was not much fun with both legs that deep.

Lose the will to keep trying to extract ourselves .

Plus no one wants to sell you beer when that happens.

oly

Mud shoes ?   What did I miss during that last week ?

26 mins ago, FishHawk II said:

You don't need extra long rods as the fish will be right at your feet

If they are then our lives will be just that much easier. If they're not or the wind is kicking we will still be able to fish when single handed fly fishers will be swept off the beach. 

It's a win either way. 5 extra feet is no problem at all when you have an extra hand on the rod.