titleguy

Cape in May

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

My partner in crime is out of action for Roscoe in May so I am rethinking a trip ( torn rotator cuff and bicep tendon).  It's been many years since I fished the Cape in May, but thinking about a few days the week before Memorial Day.  Will the British Invasion be taking place during that time frame?  Love to meet up with you blokes.

Mikey O's entourage starts on May 24th.   I'm sure there are plenty of other British and European travelers here about the same time or a little earlier.  MIke has a pretty full schedule planned, as always, but PM him, no cost to ask :)

HT

Posted (edited) · Report post

TG

I thought it was Saturday the 25th May that I show up on the Cape. I leave on Saturday 15 th June.

I don’t count as an invasion any more as I am but one Brit amongst a dozen American buddies that share our rental house in Harwich Port.

My head is not where it should be right now so can’t recall as a I type this what is happening with the tides during my three weeks.

No doubt if I was looking for a few days I would focus on the spring tide period.

From shore always found the fishing to be way better over springs. North side and south side.

The Doryman Motel in Sea Street typically sees a small group of Brit Fly Fishers around Late May to Mid June. I sometimes bump into them on the beach.

North side of the Cape there is a group of Brits who focus on the Canal and a few other places with plugs and jigs.  I used to do this to once until a few years ago when I decided to go with just the fly rod. Sure the size of my fish fell dramatically but that was the trade off. Sadly I don’t fish with this group anymore as we fish different types of water. The CCC does not float my boat anymore. For me it is just that a canal and I need the ocean. We sometimes get to have breakfast at the 6A or they try the house.

If my head returns to the right place then as much as I can it will be night time forays.

Hope to see you there.

Over the past few years numbers have been good at this time when conditions and tides have been right. Size wise truth is mostly small with a few fish around 30 inches to make it a bit more interesting. We hope to get larger fish and we put the hours in.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

TG

I thought it was Saturday the 25th May that I show up on the Cape. I leave on Saturday 15 th June.

I don’t count as an invasion any more as I am but one Brit amongst a dozen American buddies that share our rental house in Harwich Port.

My head is not where it should be right now so can’t recall as a I type this what is happening with the tides during my three weeks.

No doubt if I was looking for a few days I would focus on the spring tide period.

From shore always found the fishing to be way better over springs. North side and south side.

The Doryman Motel in Sea Street typically sees a small group of Brit Fly Fishers around Late May to Mid June. I sometimes bump into them on the beach.

North side of the Cape there is a group of Brits who focus on the Canal and a few other places with plugs and jigs.  I used to do this to once until a few years ago when I decided to go with just the fly rod. Sure the size of my fish fell dramatically but that was the trade off. Sadly I don’t fish with this group anymore as we fish different types of water. The CCC does not float my boat anymore. For me it is just that a canal and I need the ocean. We sometimes get to have breakfast at the 6A or they try the house.

If my head returns to the right place then as much as I can it will be night time forays.

Hope to see you there.

Over the past few years numbers have been good at this time when conditions and tides have been right. Size wise truth is mostly small with a few fish around 30 inches to make it a bit more interesting. We hope to get larger fish and we put the hours in.

Mike

Thanks Mike-  if I don't see you there, then I will see you up the coast in June.  I will probably be based in Chatham and planning on some beach time and some boat time.

No probs TG.

Chatham is only just up the road. Must confess that I don’t do boats . I know my loss.

Yep Portland in June is another opportunity.

I take my iPad with me so Coms is not hard plus I have a cell phone to.

It is a question of finding me awake.

mikey

32 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

No probs TG.

Chatham is only just up the road. Must confess that I don’t do boats . I know my loss.

Yep Portland in June is another opportunity.

I take my iPad with me so Coms is not hard plus I have a cell phone to.

It is a question of finding me awake.

mikey

We're researching trips to the sacred piece of sand this year.Change of Command last year.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mike,

I can't wait to see you again in May/June, Dan and I are beyond excited to fish with you again. I have all the dates that you are on the Cape saved and Highlighted in my Calendar. Dan and I will try and make it down as many times as we can while you are here. Looking forward to seeing Red again too, and all the 14 two-handers that go along with him! I know Dan has been talking to you guys frequently, but I have been rather quiet. My winter has been well, or as good as can be without fishing, :D but I am ready now for spring. 

tight lines,

Gavin

Edited by Gremlin

Speaking of which..... I just finished shaping the handle on the second 14'er. 11-12wt. 

IMG_20190410_211407621.jpg.bb83e59e529bf1ff111bd54fe92a8f20.jpg

And of course I will have my beloved MkIII 13-14wt two hander with me this spring. 

Been daydreaming and dreaming for months of this cape cod trip with you, Dan, and Mike. Going to be an absolute blast. 

1 hour ago, RedGreen said:

Speaking of which..... I just finished shaping the handle on the second 14'er. 11-12wt. 

IMG_20190410_211407621.jpg.bb83e59e529bf1ff111bd54fe92a8f20.jpg

And of course I will have my beloved MkIII 13-14wt two hander with me this spring. 

Been daydreaming and dreaming for months of this cape cod trip with you, Dan, and Mike. Going to be an absolute blast. 

Your Handle looks amazing!!!

you seem have gotten your work Synthetic Cork dialed in

Looks great.  See you gentleman on the Causeway.  Mike-  I'm at the West Branch of the Penobscot from June 15-22, but I will be fishing pretty much every day either before work or after work in June.  I'll Pm you email and cell #.  Plus Alan L will be found lurking on multiple beaches along with many other miscreants of the fly.

TG

ok thanks. I will go to my pms and reciprocate contact details.

I do need to advise that my cell is a U.K. cell which allows me to call in the USA for buttons but it is silly expensive for you to call my phone.

But we can get around that by use of email and me calling you.

With Dan and Gavin showing up it should be even more frenetic. The three Amigoes Red Gavin and Dan are young guys very keen and highly skilled for guys so young and are the future of our sport. I really enjoy fishing with them.

The Causway I will have to guess at.

Mike

Gavin likewise.

We should have a good trip and by coming down over the three weeks for a few days at a time should mean you get some fishing over the spring tide periods.

Now I know how hard it is for you and Dan to go minimum gear but it will help your efficiency greatly if you only bring what you will actually use.

There are a number of spots I want to take you to that fish most times very well during night tides. We had stunning fishing last year in these marks.

We have a Kelly Kettle and you can’t beat a smokey brew of tea taken on the beach in the late or early hours.

By May I guess you will be casting fit.

Dont forget your head lamp.

Mike