Helix 5 extra ports/ how is water not going to get inside

So, I finally got my new helix 5 di in today, and while looking at everything on it I noticed an extra port for it seems a speed sensor or connecting multiple units? I dont care that theres an extra port, but I figured there should have been a rubber cap to put on it so it's not just exposed to the elements... or is that not really an issue?

19 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

So, I finally got my new helix 5 di in today, and while looking at everything on it I noticed an extra port for it seems a speed sensor or connecting multiple units? I dont care that theres an extra port, but I figured there should have been a rubber cap to put on it so it's not just exposed to the elements... or is that not really an issue?

Same with the Helix 7, for the prices they charge they should include a cap. 

6 hours ago, fishfinder401 said:

There should is absolutely correct.

KFA-NY

Kayak Wars/Team Fishing Lab

Yellow Eyed Devils

(*member formerly known as ''rick smithtown)

Pack with dielectric grease ... redo as required.

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

This is funny, I just purchased a helix 5 and I saw the same thing when I was playing around with it. I called them up and they said that is the extra port they use for troubleshooting among other things. I said what happens when water gets into it, they said it should be find but you can just put a piece of tape on it. That is what Humminbird recommended. I don't really trust that though. I was thinking about some caulk or hot glue and kind of dome it over the hole but didn't do anything yet.

9 mins ago, kevbo1756 said:

This is funny, I just purchased a helix 5 and I saw the same thing when I was playing around with it. I called them up and they said that is the extra port they use for troubleshooting among other things. I said what happens when water gets into it, they said it should be find but you can just put a piece of tape on it. That is what Humminbird recommended. I don't really trust that though. I was thinking about some caulk or hot glue and kind of dome it over the hole but didn't do anything yet.

That's funny that tape is their recomendation haha. I may put a piece over the connections and build up a top of hot glue, the dialectic grease could work but would prefer something more permanent 

17 mins ago, Craiger12 said:

Is there a reason you shouldn't just fill the extra port with silicone? 

Not sure of any, but would it void the warranty? If you ever need it will it damage the connectors(don't think so but not an expert when it comes to this type of stuff) if you have to pull it out? Probably have to poke around with some tools to get it out, that could damage it as well.

3 hours ago, kevbo1756 said:

Not sure of any, but would it void the warranty? If you ever need it will it damage the connectors(don't think so but not an expert when it comes to this type of stuff) if you have to pull it out? Probably have to poke around with some tools to get it out, that could damage it as well.

Well the assumption would be that you would never need that port. Good points though.

I thought the same thing called Humminbird and got the same line others did. I filled it with dialectic grease and put a piece of electrical tape over. So far so good but Im definitely looking for a better solution

Edited by Daletr