2019 Regs?

Rate this topic

Fluke and black sea bass will be the same as last year, as will bluefish, weakfish and just about everything else.

Scup (porgies) will probably go to a year-round season, and the bag limit for anglers on for-hire boats during the "bonus season" (September and October) will probably increase from 45 to 50 fish.  That's not a certainty, but the odds are that it will happen.

There is a very slight chance that striped bass regulations could change at some point this fall, but the odds are high that nothing will happen there until 2020--and maybe not then, depending on whether ASMFC wants to move ahead with an addendum or an amendment, with the latter taking much more time.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

Fluke and black sea bass will be the same as last year, as will bluefish, weakfish and just about everything else.

Scup (porgies) will probably go to a year-round season, and the bag limit for anglers on for-hire boats during the "bonus season" (September and October) will probably increase from 45 to 50 fish.  That's not a certainty, but the odds are that it will happen.

There is a very slight chance that striped bass regulations could change at some point this fall, but the odds are high that nothing will happen there until 2020--and maybe not then, depending on whether ASMFC wants to move ahead with an addendum or an amendment, with the latter taking much more time.

we need to wait until we can be assured the bass are beyond saving before we change the regs :)

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

29 mins ago, Sandflee said:

we need to wait until we can be assured the bass are beyond saving before we change the regs :)

Usually, we'd expect any change to happen in 2020, but at the last MRAC meeting, Jim Gilmore actually raised the possibility that the states MIGHT want to do something sooner, although that still wasn't likely.  Even so, the fact that they're even thinking about such a thing provides some reason to hope that folks on the Management Board are taking this one seriously.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams