ksong

Black Hole Striped Bass Special surf rods are coming

Rate this topic

93 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, The Tiler said:

Picked up a East coast special 11' 3/4-4 blank last week.

Having it built now

Wish I could have gotten the striped bass special.

What are the differences between the two?

East Coast Special is a kind of traditional surf rods and the Striped Bass Special has thinner diameter.

I found some like traditional surf rods and some like thinner diameter rods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 7:46 AM, ksong said:

Thanks for the all help.  It was fun to fish with you. 

I fished with 11' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 3/4 oz - 4 oz rod last night. 

I lost a tarpon when there was dig-in problem of line when tarpon made a run after jumping.  I used brand new 60 lb braid and the main line got broken.  

It was strange as I loosened the drag a little bit before the fight. 

I think the Black Hole Striped Bass Special has enough backbone for striper, drum or tarpon.  I decided to fish drum today before heading for NC.

Are those the 2 oz darters?  How does the 3/4-4 11' handle 1 oz loads?  I do a lot of my fishing with 1-2 oz lures on open beaches so being able to throw the lower end is important to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

Are those the 2 oz darters?  How does the 3/4-4 11' handle 1 oz loads?  I do a lot of my fishing with 1-2 oz lures on open beaches so being able to throw the lower end is important to me.

I will fish tarpon again in Florida.  I will test one oz lure for the 11' 3/4 oz - 4 oz rod and let you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

Are those the 2 oz darters?  How does the 3/4-4 11' handle 1 oz loads?  I do a lot of my fishing with 1-2 oz lures on open beaches so being able to throw the lower end is important to me.

I tried the 11’ 3/4-4oz rated rod and threw all the way from a 4oz to a 3/4 ounce shrimp jig. It does have a nice whippy tip that allowed me to load and throw even the 3/4 jig farther than the other guys were throwing their lipped plugs on lighter set ups. 

 

The rod does have a lot of backbone and throws up to the 4oz well. Anything heavier it would get a little too flexy. I have found most 1-4oz rated rods should really be 2-4 or 1-3 but the black hole guys nailed it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Chadmckay said:

I tried the 11’ 3/4-4oz rated rod and threw all the way from a 4oz to a 3/4 ounce shrimp jig. It does have a nice whippy tip that allowed me to load and throw even the 3/4 jig farther than the other guys were throwing their lipped plugs on lighter set ups. 

 

The rod does have a lot of backbone and throws up to the 4oz well. Anything heavier it would get a little too flexy. I have found most 1-4oz rated rods should really be 2-4 or 1-3 but the black hole guys nailed it. 

That's good to hear I got these 1 oz Maxraps that I'm excited to throw when the sandeels are in.  Might cut one open to see how it's compartmentalized for loading but they're set up with weight transfer.

IMG_20190122_141314.jpg

IMG_20190122_005142.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

That's good to hear I got these 1 oz Maxraps that I'm excited to throw when the sandeels are in.  Might cut one open to see how it's compartmentalized for loading but they're set up with weight transfer.

IMG_20190122_141314.jpg

IMG_20190122_005142.jpg

Those are neat...where'd you pick them up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:30 PM, ksong said:

We might have demo days in LI and NJ by the end of May.

Please give us plenty of notice when that would be (NJ), I would definitely plan on attending. I'm looking for a rod for throwing 4-6 oz stuff. Would love to try the 2-8oz rods out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

Are those the 2 oz darters?  How does the 3/4-4 11' handle 1 oz loads?  I do a lot of my fishing with 1-2 oz lures on open beaches so being able to throw the lower end is important to me.

hi buddy, i field tested these new BH Rods, the 3/4-4 handles the complete lure rating, outstanding,.the lower end, 1oz. - sp's, 1oz. -avas, 1 oz. bucktails, throws, a country mile, so to speak, on the upper end 3.5-4 also NP......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10.4.2019. at 3:52 AM, ksong said:

I talked with Jane. She objects to take preorder as she said customers are calling and calling again until they get their rods. 

I will put you on the list and we let you know as soon as they come. 

rofl..

× 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for all interested, we are planning rod-demo day, Black Hole, at tackle shop in Point Pleasant , N.J., in middle of May, hopefully new rods will be available then, for Demo...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ksong and Lureman,

 

I have been following this thread carefully and am very interested in the ---10' 3/4--4oz Striped Bass rod---.  Maybe others have the same questions as myself, so I'll list them below and maybe it will help myself and others in deciding whether to order one.

 

     a. What does this rod weigh exactly in ounces?

     b. Can the rod handle the full weight range?  For example, can it cast a 6" SP minnows (1 oz) and also can it cast a metal lip swimmer (3--4oz) ---while properly loading the rod at both ends of the weight spectrum to minimize user effort (is it easy to cast with min effort)?

     c.  Do you rate the action of this rod as "fast," mod fast," "mod to mod fast" or "moderate"?  [I put 4 different levels here for you to select]

     d.  How does the blank flex:  1. tip flex,

                                                    2. tip to mid blank flex, or

                                                    3. parabolic/full flex.

    e.  Would this rod balance nicely with a Van Staal VR 150 sized reel?  Other reels as well like: Shimano Saragosa 6000SW, Penn Spinfisher 5500...etc.?

 

Thank you so very much in advance for any information as this will be very helpful.  I may have to buy this sight unseen, so every bit of info. helps me.

-Rob

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 mins ago, Rob greenpond said:

Hi Ksong and Lureman,

 

I have been following this thread carefully and am very interested in the ---10' 3/4--4oz Striped Bass rod---.  Maybe others have the same questions as myself, so I'll list them below and maybe it will help myself and others in deciding whether to order one.

 

     a. What does this rod weigh exactly in ounces?

     b. Can the rod handle the full weight range?  For example, can it cast a 6" SP minnows (1 oz) and also can it cast a metal lip swimmer (3--4oz) ---while properly loading the rod at both ends of the weight spectrum to minimize user effort (is it easy to cast with min effort)?

     c.  Do you rate the action of this rod as "fast," mod fast," "mod to mod fast" or "moderate"?  [I put 4 different levels here for you to select]

     d.  How does the blank flex:  1. tip flex,

                                                    2. tip to mid blank flex, or

                                                    3. parabolic/full flex.

    e.  Would this rod balance nicely with a Van Staal VR 150 sized reel?  Other reels as well like: Shimano Saragosa 6000SW, Penn Spinfisher 5500...etc.?

 

Thank you so very much in advance for any information as this will be very helpful.  I may have to buy this sight unseen, so every bit of info. helps me.

-Rob

 

a 10' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 3/4 oz - 4 oz rod weighs 9.7 oz.

b. I haven't tested 1 oz lure, but it seems the rod can handle one oz lures based on others' review.

   Definitely the rod can handle 3 - 4 oz lures.

c. See this video of fighting  a drum using 10'6" Black Hole Striped Bass Special 3/4 oz - 4 oz rod and judge yourself. It seems to me that the rod is moderate/fast or fast action rod.

 

d. tip is flex and lots of backbone in the middle.

e. You can use the reels you suggested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.