ksong

Black Hole Striped Bass Special surf rods are coming

Rate this topic

93 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, ksong said:

I finally got hit by tarpon 6 times, but without hookups.

I think it was because I used single hooks instead of treble hooks.  After I lost a lure with treble hooks to exposed rocks at night, I decided to use single hooks.

I am going to use 11' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 3/4 oz - 4 oz rod tonight as the lures are small and light. ( tarpon here prefer smaller lures.).

20190414_213929.jpg

Big hook up tonight! 80-100lb fish sorry  the line broke. 

I have a 10’ rod rated 1-4 that throws the mag darter really well. I love the black hole striped bass special, but decided to go for the11’ 2-6oz since it gives me more range than the other slightly lighter one. Once they come out officially I still want my dad to get the 3/4-4 I think it will be perfect for him for Tarpon, black tip and beach snook .

8 hours ago, Chadmckay said:

Big hook up tonight! 80-100lb fish sorry  the line broke. 

I have a 10’ rod rated 1-4 that throws the mag darter really well. I love the black hole striped bass special, but decided to go for the11’ 2-6oz since it gives me more range than the other slightly lighter one. Once they come out officially I still want my dad to get the 3/4-4 I think it will be perfect for him for Tarpon, black tip and beach snook .

Thanks for the all help.  It was fun to fish with you. 

I fished with 11' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 3/4 oz - 4 oz rod last night. 

I lost a tarpon when there was dig-in problem of line when tarpon made a run after jumping.  I used brand new 60 lb braid and the main line got broken.  

It was strange as I loosened the drag a little bit before the fight. 

I think the Black Hole Striped Bass Special has enough backbone for striper, drum or tarpon.  I decided to fish drum today before heading for NC.

5 hours ago, The Tiler said:

When will you be back in the area to demo one of the 11'?

We might have demo days in LI and NJ by the end of May.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I returned from tarpon fishing in Florida and drum fishing in NC.

I plan to go down again after fully rested. 

The first trip is a kind of scouting trip and I have better ideas how to catch them. 

I am going to use 11' light Black Hole Striped Bass Special 3/4 oz - 4 oz instead of stiffer 2 oz - 8 oz rod for tarpon as I use light 1 oz - 2 oz lure and I can use lighter drag as it is open water. 

For big drum from the surf in NC, I am thinking to develop 12' Black Hole Striped Bass conventional rods rated 2 oz - 8 oz in the future. I found I can not cast well with thick 12' and 13' Black Hole Surf II Heavy rods as I am not strong enough to cast them.  I think many feel the same. as I do. Lighter and thinner rods.

The new 12' rod could be good for rooster too. 

Edited by ksong

people and guys have been asking me, to see this new rod casting, from shore line, catching some Stripers, not just tarpon, and drum...LOL..:)

31 mins ago, lureman said:

people and guys have been asking me, to see this new rod casting, from shore line, catching some Stripers, not just tarpon, and drum...LOL..:)

Striper fishing from the shore just started. :)  I am looking for opportunities to catch striper from the shore using the new Black Hole Striped Bass Special rods. When you catch big tarpon or drum using the rods, it is easy to catch striper with the same rods. :)

On 4/20/2019 at 1:42 PM, ksong said:

Striper fishing from the shore just started. :)  I am looking for opportunities to catch striper from the shore using the new Black Hole Striped Bass Special rods. When you catch big tarpon or drum using the rods, it is easy to catch striper with the same rods. :)

its not the same....the rod is not called the Tarpon or Drum Special...

I always try to catch more powerful fish than intended fish to test the rods. :)

When I fished NC, someone said he doesn't like Black Hole Cape Cod name. :) 

I explained to him that it was the first time we used Black Hole rods for bluefin in Cape Cod and we use the Cape Cod name 

You will hear lots of striper report using Black Hole Striped Bass Special from May.

Edited by ksong

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

Hurry up, we got nice fish in Jersey.. Woulda loved the new rod to test with

I am patient man. :) I think we are very lucky to have the Striped Bass Special rods in May.  I am sure the rods will be used for years to come by many surf anglers. 

Edited by ksong

Picked up a East coast special 11' 3/4-4 blank last week.

Having it built now

Wish I could have gotten the striped bass special.

What are the differences between the two?