Softbait making

Rate this topic

AKNakn123

I have not melted plastic on an open gas flame but on an electric hot plate. I was a newb and didn’t control the heat and burnt it quickly. I am not saying it can’t be done on a gas range but if you watch the temp carefully with a thermometer too may be ok. I just find the microwave easier. If the plastic is not quite melted just add time by 30 second increments.  Pouring in the house will smell some and make a mess in the kitchen in my opinion.

Good luck happy melting 

Edited by Salt and Fresh
Spelling
"Fishing is a Jerk on one end waiting for a Jerk on the other end" Mark Twain

I don't see why the open flame would not work, however, if you don't have access to a microwave your best bet at melting the soft plastics may be a double boiler type set up.  You could try a small ramiken or dish/bowl resting in a pot with some water.  Heat the pot with water and you will be able to evenly heat the soft plastic without running too much of an risk of burning it.  I am certainly not explaining the double boiler in the best possible way, so it might be worth it to give you tube or google a browse before actually trying it...  Good Luck!

No part of soft plastic bait making should be done anywhere near where you cook your food.

It's basically a bunch of chemicals in plastic bottles that you mix up, heat up, and yes, occasionally burn, so keep it out of the house. Maybe the basement, if you have good ventilation, but the fumes are not friendly at all.

A $50 Walmart microwave and some Pyrex cups will work fine for most of your needs

"Can You Hear Me, Doctor?"

On 4/9/2019 at 10:11 PM, The Salty Fisherman said:

I don't see why the open flame would not work, however, if you don't have access to a microwave your best bet at melting the soft plastics may be a double boiler type set up.  You could try a small ramiken or dish/bowl resting in a pot with some water.  Heat the pot with water and you will be able to evenly heat the soft plastic without running too much of an risk of burning it.  I am certainly not explaining the double boiler in the best possible way, so it might be worth it to give you tube or google a browse before actually trying it...  Good Luck!

Either idea is dangerous. Plastisol is flammable.so you wouldn't want it near open flames. And to have it near water is just asking for disaster. If one small drop of water should get into 350* molten plastic, it will splatter all over the place. The same effect you'd get if a drop of water got into your molten lead .The last place you would want it to splatter is on your skin.

I'm with Ed White's post. Cheap Walmart microwave, or a small hot plate from one of the soft bait supply catalogs ( about $25.00 ). Once you get into pouring plastics you'll see that investment is one of the smaller ones.

Well ventilated area, and away from your family's oven and microwave. And have fun!

On 4/9/2019 at 0:42 PM, AKNakn123 said:

Hi!

I'm new to lurebuilding and wanting to get in to softbait pouring. In all guides I've read, the plastic has been heated in a microwave, but I'm wondering if it could be done on a gas kitchen?

Look into the Larry Dahlberg alumalite kits. if you Google make a lure, it will come up with some responses. they are very good beginner kits. they are a little pricey at $79.99 but it will get you learning quick and somewhat ahead of the learning curve.

Edited by NJ Dave

There is a great soft bait making specific forum at ******* can't post the link, I'm probably skirting the edge of the rules already, but there is a wealth of plastic/mold/supply info there as well.

Edited by Jig Man
Yep, skirting the rules.

"Can You Hear Me, Doctor?"

• 3 weeks later...