bhorsley

NC Mountains report

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sarah had to go to northern Kentucky to speak to an awesome club Northern Kentucky Fly Fishers.  On our way back we drove south to the western Mountains of North Carolina.  This is our second year fishing with the guides at Brookings Anglers in Cashier NC.  Sarah is a very seasoned trout angler me not so much.  We floated the Tuckasegee again.  Last year was unbelievable and I did not expect the same silly fishing. Ken and the Tuck showed us a great time again.  Pretty strange the week before it was 16 wts and this week 4 wts and 5X tippet. The Tuck is a tail water and we fished both streamers and nymphs. Looking forward to our return 

B18_3044.jpg

B18_3066.jpg

B18_3090.jpg

B18_3098.jpg

B18_3115.jpg

B18_3157.jpg

B18_3205.jpg

B18_3219.jpg

B18_3260.jpg

B18_3266.jpg

B18_3305.jpg

B18_3273.jpg

B18_2713.jpg

B18_2980.jpg

B18_2791.jpg

B18_2542-Edit.jpg

Edited by bhorsley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those fish are well fed.  Wow.  Our mutual friend Sasquatch and I have been talking about making a drive out west sometime later this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 mins ago, bmac said:

Those fish are well fed.  Wow.  Our mutual friend Sasquatch and I have been talking about making a drive out west sometime later this year. 

can't recommend it enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 10:34 AM, bhorsley said:

can't recommend it enough

Brian,

Ever fish the Cicada hatch on the Green River at the Flaming Gorge in Utah.  Took my Dad twice.  Best fresh water dry fly fishing I've ever experienced.

Cabo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cabo2005 said:

Brian,

Ever fish the Cicada hatch on the Green River at the Flaming Gorge in Utah.  Took my Dad twice.  Best fresh water dry fly fishing I've ever experienced.

Cabo

no--this was my only third time trip trout fishing --not much experience but want more 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 9:23 AM, bhorsley said:

Sarah had to go to northern Kentucky to speak to an awesome club Northern Kentucky Fly Fishers.  On our way back we drove south to the western Mountains of North Carolina.  This is our second year fishing with the guides at Brookings Anglers in Cashier NC.  Sarah is a very seasoned trout angler me not so much.  We floated the Tuckasegee again.  Last year was unbelievable and I did not expect the same silly fishing. Ken and the Tuck showed us a great time again.  Pretty strange the week before it was 16 wts and this week 4 wts and 5X tippet. The Tuck is a tail water and we fished both streamers and nymphs. Looking forward to our return 

B18_3044.jpg

B18_3066.jpg

B18_3090.jpg

B18_3098.jpg

B18_3115.jpg

B18_3157.jpg

B18_3205.jpg

B18_3219.jpg

B18_3260.jpg

B18_3266.jpg

B18_3305.jpg

B18_3273.jpg

B18_2713.jpg

B18_2980.jpg

B18_2791.jpg

B18_2542-Edit.jpg

nice, I love fishing that area

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brian, I know this was just you third time doing a trout trip. Sarah like me most likely grew up on trout and converted to the salt.

 

What I find now is if I am on a trout stream I don’t even think about salt water fishing and now that you have experienced both my suspicion is the same for you as well.

 

What I do find now when on the salt and I catch a fish is I admire the fish but more for the size while when I am fresh water fishing I admire the fish from a they look like like a jewel perspective.

 

This is a great post and the photos capture the jewel aspect of fresh water fishing.

 

It normally doesn’t take long to read the text of a post but when you find you spend a long time studying each individual picture you know what a truely good post is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Dick .   I am just discovering the fresh water trout fishing and really enjoy the whole experience.  Fishing with a guide who is a good teacher and knows his water is big plus.   I hardly ever get to fish with my wife and that makes even better.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.