Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

Signs of the season

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hearsay stripers are in the mix of the local conversations of late. However for the most part these are fish  that are all local tribes searching for some food after a long siesta in many of the local hiding places along our coast line. 

It will still be a little while before any fresh migrating bass are in our waters.

One should also keep your eyes open for the scup population that will be open soon on April 13 along our coast line 30 fish is the limit and 9 inches is the size limit, We still have not seen any signs of squid , but once the water increases a few degrees who knows what activity will get the juices going to the start of another fishing season along the Massachusetts coast line .

Given that the state has once again allowed the dragging inside our waters during the flounder spawning times, it is something that they have allowed in many past years that have added to the elimination of the golden cod that sits upon our state house and what we called this body of water our here IN Cape Cod Bay. Needles to say it also has also added to other declines like smelt and some tog populations that were indiscriminately netted along with flounder in spawning mode. 

Is this the year that we see the Blue fish make a come back to our waters, like times of old? or continue the way of  the past few years, that has also seen a decline in our striped bass populations .  Perhaps we might get a good push of Sea bass and or fluke inside the canal this year that some could learn how to fish, rather then just fishing on bass all year> Only time will tell . 

Poponesset Bay is being dredged out which should be an interesting project as the herring are already in full migration form and most assuredly have some affect on them and other fish chasing them in at this time of the year . What a time to pick for this project to be done.

Look for more Great Whites to make the trip along the Sandwich beaches and beyond this year, once the water temp increases. The patterns over the past several years has them swimming into the far reaches of Cape Cod bay in search of food.   Be sure to say a prayer to the sea gods for a good and successful  fishing season and leave a few for the next guy in the line . See you on the water at some point .

Your wrong about the recent striped bass arrivals. Not all are holdovers. Small fresh stripers (aka micros) have arrived on Cape Cod during the first half of April for as long as I can recall. I've caught many myself, bright, healthy and covered with lice. 

58 mins ago, bob_G said:

Your wrong about the recent striped bass arrivals. Not all are holdovers. Small fresh stripers (aka micros) have arrived on Cape Cod during the first half of April for as long as I can recall. I've caught many myself, bright, healthy and covered with lice. 

What makes you sure that what one has seen yet are bright and with lice. ?We in another time caught them in March at many of the local holdover locations . You would be hard pressed to convince me that any small micros as you indicated above came from down south as these are same size fish coming out of the many local holdover places from the local tribes

Many of the local tribes began to move from the upper reaches of the river systems and head out into open water during the March periods when we would fish for cod and flounder . We have gone through this before at other times and past is the past and the future is now . I will agree on part of what you have posted, but to say that all bright fish with lice came from down south would be a stretgh Have you caught any fish this week that are bright and have lice on them ? We have migrating fish coming down from Canada ,. New Hamshire and Main that have yet to arrive here as well , but non the less they will become part of the tribe mixtures very soon .

Has On the Water bass watch indicated that the bass have made it this far yet ? They would be the best indicator of this movement

What makes me so sure? Because I was there, and I caught them.   Micro stripers arrive a full month before the larger sub legal fish arrive. Guys who put their time in over the years have always realized this. Regardless of what rags like OTW contend. 

As  a follow up to the latest and greatest striped bass migration done by ON The Water as of April 5 no Schoolieys[Micros] have been reported in our waters. Holdovers are the key word they use . If one cares to pull it up you can see how far the schoolieys[ Micros]  I have more faith in that report that hearing rumors being spread that have no validity 

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

What makes me so sure? Because I was there, and I caught them.   Micro stripers arrive a full month before the larger sub legal fish arrive. Guys who put their time in over the years have always realized this. Regardless of what rags like OTW contend. 

You are speaking about the past my friend as I am as well in some cases .responding to your post. You are not speaking about the times when the striped bass are no longer following the same course. I was referring to today, the present ,  not some imaginary period  of yester year . How many times in your life have you ever seen Striped bass committing suicide like they have over the past several years inside the canal? Times are changing for some of the old reliable , long time put in your time factual log book postings my friend . I would like to see some of the fishing habits that the fish once took and we learned from hard put in your time fishing expeditions along our entire coast line come back too ,but now we have different indicators , more folks recording events. like OTW that have a far reaching clientele to make better and truer projections. My post is as right as the information being recorded for all to see will ever get . Like I have posted above I have always seen bright small bass [holdovers] in many of the local inlets and out lets along our coast by the many once thriving local tribes of striped bass populations , but have also caught them as well and I have  at least a 20 year jump on  you.  

It’s the same argument every spring. Why does it even matter if it’s a holdover or fresh migrating striper? Is a fresh striper better? Is it a status symbol? They’re the same fish. Just be happy to have caught them. 

24 mins ago, z-man said:

It’s the same argument every spring. Why does it even matter if it’s a holdover or fresh migrating striper? Is a fresh striper better? Is it a status symbol? They’re the same fish. Just be happy to have caught them. 

Z Man absolutely correct.  :howdy: I had many conversations of late in regards to where are the migrating fish really at today and after doing some research on the matter, I thought I would put up a post to get some ready for when they do show up in mass. . The strength of the micrs that show up in numbers are an indicator of how healthy they really are today. . The more we see the better I feel 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ticks are out! Pulled a small one out of my shoulder earlier today. Pretty sure it’s a juvie common dog (or wood?) tick. My logs indicate such, but I caught Lyme early last year so who knows what this season has in store. Regardless, should see a good push of them soon!

:banghd:

Edited by rbart