Surf Guy turned new boat owner - what reels & rods?

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Live liner spinning reels fill the gap between regular spinning and conventional reels.

Most of my reels are live liners.  Besides being gret on a boat, they handy when you got a snag and want to move to another rock to get a different angle.

Not sure about other species, but you will catch more stripers with a live liner when your drifting or anchored with bait.  Never caught a sheephead or tog without one though.   Used to have a fleet of basic okumas, now I got spinfisher 5's.

C41A8C05-5DED-4E02-8E3A-8853F96DCF5D.jpeg.974fbb9d15094494f0de9e96887148f1.jpegBDE54FB2-0168-468B-A12B-51ABE282731B.jpeg.1c899bc2b1f99b6c0d1374aef6451140.jpeg51261259-639F-4289-A129-08B704E168EC.jpeg.480358ead8a1161acb375f05af97c6d8.jpeg

6ft Shimano Trevala jigging rod. 

Saltist 40L

50lb power pro

I use this for everything. It’s a beast! 

Fluke, sea bass, tog, stripers and tuna. 

For weakfish and fluking inshore I use a 7ft St Croix Tiderunner with a Penn Squall and 30lb Power Pro.

I’ve caught a **** ton of stripers on this setup too.

good luck with the boat and catchem up

Congrats on the new boat! I picked up a 2007 Montauk last year and it changed my fishing game completely. 

Here is my experience for gear: 

1. Don't buy any gear, something on your boat is going to break and you will need the cash to fix it.  

2. After you say screw it to 1, I would recommend the Shimano Torium 16HG reels. No one fishes spinning gear from a boat (I'm in Gloucester) They retail for about 220 and are one badass little reel. I spool mine with 30lb mono for striped bass. I also have a Torium 20HG spooled with 50lb braid for groundfishing and sharks, but its a bit bulky and I am thinking about selling it. With 24# of drag and a 6.3:1 retrieve rate, it's the most versatile 220 bucks you can spend. 

3. For a striped bass rod, I like the 7ft Shimano teramar north east casting rods and fish both the MH and H with the 16HG and for groundfish such as haddock, flounder, rockfish as well as sharks I use a 6'6" tallus in MH and XH with the 20HG. 

Here are the other considerations I made prior to coming up with the above setup. 

Avet SX 5.3 - I own one of these and fish it for stiper as well, but it's not as versatile as the torium. 

Seigler SG - I really wanted to love this thing, but I looked at one and it didn't feel smooth at all. It's also pricy, and that business keeps changing management which made me concerned about getting parts in the future. 

Penn - These are all made in China now, my experience with them has not been good. The old school ones were great.  

Accurate BV 400 - I wanted this reel. I still want this real. And when I have 470 bucks to burn I will buy this thing, but its a lever drag version of the torium, same specs, just a lot sexier. 

Ugly Stick rods - I tried one out and it flexed all the way down to the handle, felt like a wet noodle. 

G Loomis - Great rods but at twice the price of the Shimanos I had to pass 

Cheers and enjoy the new ride! 

I grew up in Gloucester.  Parents are snow birds but still live there April to December.  Usually get back 2 or 3 times a year.  Miss it!

I hear you on the boat cost.  Need to do my bottom paint.  Need to buy a trailer.  I know the list will grow.

Here is my current list:

Just got a - St Croix Avid Inshore 7' MH, paired with Stradic 5000 (one of my surf reels repurposed)

Have had a - Lamiglass 6' 5" MH spinning.  Looking at buying a Shimano 6000 Bait runner to pair with it for spinning, bait fishing & snagging bunker.

Looking at getting a Shimano Trevala 66MH conventional paired with a Tekota 500 for bait, trolling & jigging.

Thinking about a lighter weight fluke/tog rod as well....  TranX 200?  with a ????

BTW - I have no money for any of this stuff.  I just can't help myself from looking.

Congrats on the boat! I got my first one last year after wanting one for 20 years. I already had a lot of gear from doing multi day and specie offshore trips but thanks to some great Penn deals 

My inshore conventional setups on my boat are Avets SX & Penn Fathom 25 Narrow 2 speeds on St Croix Tidemasters and Black Hole rods.  I tried a few of the low profile bait reels and the Maxel Hybrid 25 and prefer the Penn's and Avets. I use Avet LX and Penn senator narrow 113 for deepwater stuff. 

Spin setups are Slammer3 4500 & 5500's on Tidemasters. Tuna spin setups are Slammer 8500 and Sargossa 20k on Black Hole Cape Cod Nano rods. Convetional tuna are my friends 130's till I get enough money to buy my own. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Tekota is a good choice and I would probably get one more conventional set up and fish them for a while until you know what you do and don't like about those set ups.  The you can spend a little more to get features you know you want, as opposed to what a bunch of other folks think you might like.

As recommended earlier the Shimano charter special is a good option and will give you a level drag reel in your quiver to see how you like that vs the star drag Tekota.

sam

Good advice from all above.

I"m right here in Stamford, and do all types of fishing and have the same boat style you got.

Personally, I think Shimano thunnus are the best boat reels-the older ones, the F serises.  They are heavy and I like the weight balance ratio on it. I personally like light rods, so I use Terez for them.  For me you need a clicker/baitcasting reel.  I have a pair of Thunnus 12000fs.  We also have 6000f's which are good for bunker snagging and then lure throwing.

Make sure in the sound you have all your boat safety stuff, they do check and your floats/life jackets/etc are big.

A lot of good advice above but I do think you need spinning on a boat.

Personally, I'd recommend Trinidads over Toriums. Toriums we use for guests, but the trinidads are for us with togging, fluking, porgy, etc.  For bass I use talicas cause I'm liking lever drags over star drags for that.

Nick

The one who coined and copyrighted the term "mine"........

• 3 weeks later...

another vote for liveliners.....other folks will b on ur boat and u won't wanna have to hold their hand w conventional ....jigging rod so versatile.... also good to have a pair of conventional w loud clickers.....esp at night when ur drinking. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have 6' MH and H spinning rods that I use for jigging, trolling, and live lining. I get conventional stuff is better is some of the situations but I have a preference to spin gear. My best fish this year have come trolling SP minnows on a a 7' spinfish rod with a slammer3 4500. I use that to cast small plugs but was changing spots and cast it out before relocating and hooked up a few times on the way. 

Safety first.........obey the rules of the road....please.

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

On 4/8/2019 at 4:45 PM, brentwayne said:

Personally, I am not a big fan of conventional...  I fish almost exclusively with spinning rods.  I am probably on my own island though.  I have built a nice conventional setup, but hardly use it.  I say see what you need at the end of the summer...  what you have might work just fine.

You're not alone. Reeling with your right hand pretty much ruins fishing for me. I have a lefty conventional and bait caster though, give it a try its insanely more comfortable if you're used to spinning gear but annoying to find

2 hours ago, aglenn said:

You're not alone. Reeling with your right hand pretty much ruins fishing for me. I have a lefty conventional and bait caster though, give it a try its insanely more comfortable if you're used to spinning gear but annoying to find

spin, fly, baitcaster and conventional, all left hand crank, the fly and spin are convertible, baicasters are common in lefty, it's the large conventionals that are rarely made in lefty