ccb

5 wt TFO what line?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

What line would you use on this rod.  I have 5 wt Rio WF  F line  Do you use F/I lines when fishing for LM bass and trout. or do you stick with the floating lines.   Also If in the salt and have a Rio OB  5WT F/I  saltwater line can you use it in freshwater also.   thanks ccb

The OBS lines are the same lines, whether they are labeled for fresh or salt.

My personal choice are full intermediate lines over the  F / I lines.

SF

When fishing small rivers, brooks and small ponds what lune to you find yourself using the most?

The whole head of my OB F/I is intermediate and whole length of running line floats but it seems not to have any adverse effect how the line head sinks. Usually I don't use stripping basket and never when fishing fresh water so I like to use lines which have floating running line because it shoots quite fine from water just holding few line loops in fingers.

Esa

Which model TFO rod? 

Some models are more likely to feel better up-lined than others.  TFO's TiCr/TiCrx rods can be seriously uplined (+1-2 line weights).  The BVK can be uplined (+1) as can some others.  The TFO Pro, Pro 2, and Mangrove are all true rated rods, IMO, and I personally would go with the rated line(s).  

You mentioned rivers, brooks, and small ponds.  I would go with a floating line initially and not worry about intermediate or sinking lines unless the water is super fast, super deep or both.  Use longer mono or fluoro leaders and weighted nymphs or weighted streamers to gain depth,  instead of an int/sink line, IMO.  A floating line is really versatile in that it will allow you to mend the line or create slack to get a better drift for dry fly presentations, and a long leader, (or add a short sink tip between the floating line and leader) or split shot, will help wet flies, e.g., nymphs or streamers to sink to the target depth (especially in larger streams/rivers).

The GPX is at least one line weight heavier than normal rating, similar to the (older) Rio Grand line. 

The newer version is called the SA MPX.  Great line!!