9mm opinion needed

Rate this topic

Heron25

Ok- looking for a new 9mm.  Currently have an APX, which I really like.  Looking for a SA/DA or SA, metal body 9mm that my wife and I can both shoot.  I had heart set on a 92 or 1911 style (was considering Remington or RIA as they fit into my limit of $750).  Friend of mine, ex-LEO, recently offered a P229 Legion with approx. 500 rounds thru it for $750.  Now i'm all screwed up.  This will be a range and nightstand pistol, no c.c., etc.  I'm in NJ, so 10 round limit.  Thoughts?  Recommendations?  I have shot a 92, shot a 1911 Remington, have not shot the Sig yet.  Both of those were really nice, no complaints on size/weight/etc.  Put S&B FMJ 9mm 124 grain through flawlessly.  

If the devil can't beat you down, he'll try and wear you down.  

Look at the CZ line as others have said - you'll be glad you did.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

If it's gonna sit on the night stand, I'd go with a CZ75 or Browning HiPower.  Both solid, all metal, handguns that are as good as it gets.  And they are a pleasure to shoot.  Don't worry about the 10 round law here in NJ.  You can get them with 10 round magazines.

I carried a HiPower as a backup gun when I worked with NYPD for many years.  Awesome pistol.

Almost forgot to mention, they don't feel like you have a brick in your hand. :laugh:

Edited by Spigola

You mentioned preferring all metal, alright with SA/DA and having handled a Beretta.  Have you considered the 92FS?  Figure $530...Buds Guns (add ship and FFL).  Btw, the Compact eats about anything...all day long.

92FS Compact.jpg

Edited by mako20ft

The wheels on my reels go round and round...round and round...round and round...

CZ-75B for an all metal 9mm; seriously doubt you would ever regret that decision, but a SA as a nightstand gun would be not be my first choice.

"I started out with nothing and I still have most of it"

11 hours ago, mako20ft said:

You mentioned preferring all metal, alright with SA/DA and having handled a Beretta.  Have you considered the 92FS?  Figure $530...Buds Guns (add ship and FFL).  Btw, the Compact eats about anything...all day long.

92FS Compact.jpg

That's one of my top choices.  I like the CZ's and have considered them.  My wife has is a smaller person so I would like something heavier that can reduce recoil a bit.  I have a polymer striker fired in the APX, which if my wife become more comfortable with could take the nightstand spot.  First choice would be a hammer fired SA/DA, but 92's are so damn cool.  

Full size metal frame?

CZ 75B (decocker model)

Full size polymer frame?

CZ P-09

Compact polymer frame?

CZ P-07

If you want deluxe, order the CZ Custom Shop models OR send your guns to Cajun Gun Works for the Defense Carry Package upgrade.  You won't recognize the guns afterwards.

While you're at it, check out the Glock 19X or the Glock 45.  They might surprise you.

4 hours ago, fishweewee said:

Full size metal frame?

CZ 75B (decocker model)

Full size polymer frame?

CZ P-09

Compact polymer frame?

CZ P-07

If you want deluxe, order the CZ Custom Shop models OR send your guns to Cajun Gun Works for the Defense Carry Package upgrade.  You won't recognize the guns afterwards.

While you're at it, check out the Glock 19X or the Glock 45.  They might surprise you.

I respect your opinion on these things, among other people.  Just to be clear- I think you're recommending a CZ, correct?  :-)

I will definitely check out the CZ and see if I can shoot one this weekend.  Thank you all for your help.